• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ramshot reloading guide for SMK 80gr

freeflight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
California
I always thought SMK 80gr has to be loaded to COAL of 2.55", according to several reloading manuals and Sierra reload data.

But when I read Ramshot reloading manul,
http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf

I found,
TAC 80 SIE HPBT 23.2 2,638 25.8 2,903 61,307 2.260
TAC 90 SIE HPBT 21.8 2,436 24.2 2,688 61,794 2.260

The last column is COL. Is this saying we can load SMK 80gr to magazine length? Has anyone tried it before?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Ramshot reloading guide for SMK 80gr

Well you "can" do it. But, why - they don't jump well.

Magazine length is more handy to shoot than single shot on the AR. That is why I am asking.

I am concerned with pressure. SMK 77gr loaded with 24.8gr to 2.26" is already a hot load. Load SMK 80gr with 25.8gr TAC to the same COL might cause excessively high pressure.

The 80grn SMK is not designed as a mag length bullet. That long pointy nose does not stand up most times to jump. Has nothing to do with what's "handy" or pressure. That's what the 77 SMK was designed for - mag length loading, being able to jump from the mag... Just because a bullet will fit into a case doesn't mean its the right bullet for the job.

Jump or not is one thing, excessive pressure is another. I want to know whether it is safe to load SMK 80gr with that much power to magazine length.

I think they carried over the length when the manual was made. Sierra length is 2.550. I don't know anyone who has tried to load them to mag length and wouldn't want to try as 77's have quite a bit of compression.