• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ramshot Tac powder

BForhan

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Hartland Michigan
Has anyone used or is currently using Ramshot TAC powder. I am intersted in their results with the following calibers and bullet weights and what where their results, compared to IMR 4895 and Reloader 15 with the same calibers and bullet weights.

.223 68 grain 77 grain 80 grain
.308 155 grain 168 grain 175 grain

The reason for the inquiry is as we all know the to other powders are harder to get now days but they always seem to have Ramshot TAC.

Thanks, Brian

Re: Ramshot Tac powder

I love TAC. I use it for almost all my 223 loads with 60+ grain bullets. I use if for my personal match Hornady 68 grain BTHP loads. It works great, fires clean, meters good out of a Dillon 650, and is very accurate. What's not to like!

Use it. Love it. Meters well. .223 and .308. About 1/2gr less charge than Varget. YMMV

Changed from 52's to 69's in .223 to use a powder I could find. Pogo suggested it in my "Sub for Varget" thread. First .308 loads, 168 hpbt's under 1/2". Meters sweet in 550. Have some RL-15 that I like but, TAC is going to be my go to powder for .223 and .308 also, when my IMR4064 is gone. Can't find it in 5 or 8lbs, but buying 5, 1 pounders before it's all gone.

Like it so much, I'm driving 40 miles for the five pounds.

I use it in my 223 with 77's. It is clean and consistant but I was unable to get to the published velocities. If you need speed i suggest VV 540.

I had good success with it. Accuracy was as good as varget.

fed case, Win mag primer, 178 amax, 43gr TAC
fed case, Win mag primer, 155 scenar, 45.5gr TAC

Tac is one of the best I've found for my .223...24.5grs, 77SMK, sp/aol 2.875 (base to Og), CCI450

I also use it for 223 and 308. In my 223 I use it with 77 grains and it is just a little bit more accurate then my load with RL-15. In my 308 I use it with 168 and 175 grn SMK. The powder is easy to find and flowes easliy in my powder thrower. It is a good go to powder.

Thanks for the info everyone. Now I can buy it and not have that nagging did I screw up felling.

Brian

I've been using TAC for .308Win loads for sometime.

168AMAX PPU Case, Wolf Mag Primer, 43.5gr TAC 2725fps 2.820"

155CC PPU Case, Wolf Mag Primer, 45.5gr TAC 2830fps 2.820"

24" barrel

175 VLD with 42.0 of tac .010 into the lands did well for me

When I went to 155's I had better results going to Big Game 49.5gr

I use it in all of my practice loads, especially as I load those on the Dillon. And we also use it for all of our ammo for our junior high power program. Kids seem to shoot well with the ammo too. Those rounds are used for XTC shooting (out to 600 yards in the 223). I wont switch back to Varget or anything else now. Of course, we started using it when Varget got short in supply.

John

Anyone use it in 223 rem for lighter bullets like 40-60. I'm running out of h335 and I have a nice local supply of tac. What's the temp sensativity? How velocity vs h335? How's the accuracy vs varget or rl15?

I use TAC for my 223 plinking loads. 24.5gr TAC and 55gr Horndady FMJBT works very well out of my AR.

hello all i am new to this fourm but not new to reloading and guns. now back on topic. i have and still use tac by ramshot and love it. use it in .223 with exelent results, 30-30 pushing 125gr bullits works realy good and is clean burning, also use it for plinking rounds in 30-06 you know triger time! hope this helps. good day and happy new year to all.

Does anyone have a line on how temp sensitive TAC is?

Tac is a ball powder, and should be more temp sensitive than extruded powders. But I have no solid date if thats what you are looking for.

have not noticed temp sentive issuse with tac live in az and shoot same loads summer and winter with no pressure signs all charges are the same weight and speeds are the same

I'm interested in this subject too cause I'm just learning. I looked through my Lyman and Hornandy loading manual for TAC on the .308 loads. I'm not finding TAC anywhere in the Hornandy and only only for 155 gr and below on the .308 in my Lyman manual. What am I missing here?

So far, I've only got my hands on TAC and want to reload 150 gr. and 168. So am I GTG for the 168?

captmo: Go to Ramshot.com and find all the data you need from their online manual.

I have replied on this one before I think. Loved their big game powder in my 6mm. The SD for tac out of my 308 was just to much. I'm some what new to the distance shooting but I do know that one needs consistency when shooting distance. The chrony doesn't lie. Varget for me was the top performer by far. Thats just what I have found.