• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ran out of adjustment! Need advice

metal2meat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Farmington, NM
I'm working on a friends rifle and ran into a dilemma. I could use some ideas.

Remington 700 short action, rebarreled with a .223 rem varmint take off that was cut and crowned at 22 inches.

Weaver two piece bases, with what looks like 30mm Badger or Loopy tactical rings. Topped with a Leupold Mark 4, straight 10x, with what seems to be a .223 elevation turret (I'm guessing calibrated for 55gr loads).

Double checked everything, it's put together right but we ran out of scope adjustment. At 100 yards with the scope bottomed out, bullet impact is still 5 inches above point of aim!

Any ideas on what's wrong or how we might remedy this would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Ran out of adjustment! Need advice

buy a 1 piece 20 moa base

Sounds like a dumb question but...

That's a Mark 4 M3, right? Did you loosen the elevation knob set screws and give a turn to see if it had more adjustment on the bottom end?

If I remember right, the BDC turrets had a hard travel limiter built in so you had to slip them off, turn 'em, and put them back on, if you wanted to do a large adjustment.

Sorry if I've got it confused, it's been so long since I've used one it's all kinda fuzzy.

bases on backward? some bases have a front base and a rear base. if backwared the front base may now be higher than the rear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kl3309</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a dumb question but...

That's a Mark 4 M3, right? Did you loosen the elevation knob set screws and give a turn to see if it had more adjustment on the bottom end?

If I remember right, the BDC turrets had a hard travel limiter built in so you had to slip them off, turn 'em, and put them back on, if you wanted to do a large adjustment.

Sorry if I've got it confused, it's been so long since I've used one it's all kinda fuzzy. </div></div>

Now that I have not tried. Going to check that when I get home. Thanks!!

The bases are right. The gap between screw holes only allows you to put them on one way. I could try the 20 MOA base but my tight ass friend is going to have but it! LOL!!! Thanks guys!!

Give <span style="font-weight: bold">kl3309</span> a cigar!! Thanks man, I like it when I learn something every day. Lifted the cap, found the "stopper", reset the turret and we're good to go!

Kool!

Don't bother trying to talk your friend into a 20 moa base. M3s don't have a lot of adjustment below center so you'll run out of adjustment again at 100.