• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ran out of scope adjustment

Bobby

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2008
Sacramento, California
I just picked up a SH IOR 1st gen today. I mounted it on my stock 700p .308 with a 20 moa rail. I zeroed it at 100 yards today, and I only have 8 mills of up adjustment left on the scope. thats not enough to get me out to 1k. There is a total of 22 mills of adjustment on the scope from top to bottom.

Is this normal?
Do I need a larger moa rail?

Thanks.

Re: Ran out of scope adjustment

Well, you should not need a different base.
You should be able to achieve a 100 yard zero with more than 11 mils of elevation left over with that setup.

What rings? Is this the one-piece base Midway sells?
Did you shim or bed the base in any way?
Has the scope been damaged?

Rings: IOR VTAC 35mm rings
The base is bedded.
The Scope is fine.

Note, I had a super sniper 10x on it, and it had enough to take me out to 1,000.

I have seen the same thing scoring for a guy at Quantico. He kept hitting at 6 o'clock on the 7 ring. After about the fifth shot (even though it was not a team match) I told him to come up. He said he was 'all the way up'; I said you better get a 20 MOA base, turns out he had one! He has to go to a 25 or 30 MOA base and loose 100 yard zero, to reach 1000 yards.

I was not impressed.

Good luck

Jerry

Maybe I missed something, what height are your rings? And how high is your obj. bell off your barrel? That seems strange to me.

Is this the first scope you've put on the rifle? If not, was the previous one OK for vertical adjustment?

Is the rifle new or is it used? Barrel original? Chopped?

Depending on you answers you may have a funky barrel and/or crown.

It is a stock 700p in .308.
I had a super sniper 10x on it, and it had more than enough to get to 1,000.
I am the first owner of the rifle.

I shot the super sniper setup and put it in the safe. I took it out to put the IOR on it.
Nothing has changed between the two.