• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Any Randall aficionados out there?

Kind of find myself jonesing over this knife.....

1574600425022.png

Sent the following message to RMK....

I want my perfect knife.

Its a Fireman model, full tang, scandi drop point just as your catalog profile shows.

The steel is high carbon tool steel, the stuff that will rust if I dont care for and treasure my knife. The steel will be mil spec parkerized when finished.

It will have a thick double hilt, slightly curved back toward the handle is preferred but straight will work. Shape would approximate an oval. The hilt would be steel parkerized to match the blade finish.

The handle scale would be green micarta in the border patrol fashion with a wrist thong.

It would have a brown leather high ride sheath. A second kydex sheath would be ideal but I may already be asking for too much.

Ill wait 6 years, who cares, Im using other knives now.

Will you do it? How much?

Thank you for your consideration.

What do you think the chances are RMK would build what Im looking for?

Seems like some of the features Im asking for kind of are counter to their trademarked style ie the parkerizing?

Mine have all been purchased by 3rd parties and sort of just stumbled on them. I'm no expert but I do have a nice reference book I refer to from time-to-time. I've never seen a Randall that was customized outside their advertised options.

Mine have all been purchased by 3rd parties and sort of just stumbled on them. I'm no expert but I do have a nice reference book I refer to from time-to-time. I've never seen a Randall that was customized outside their advertised options.

Yes the first one is a Fireman special.

How is the spine of that knife? Sharp enough to strike a steel and get spark?

I just want a "shorter" style sheath knife that is as stout as can be.

I have never seen a Randall with a blade protection treatment though like parkerizing.

They have all either been stainless or raw tool steel.

Agreed.

Cant hurt to ask them.

Forgot to mention that I want the spine to be 90 degree sharp to strike sparks on a steel.

Not too much deviation from their standard item but Ive never seen a finish - bluing, coating, etc - on any Randall.

The steel hilt would be different from their brass or silver standard offerings but Im guessing not too difficult to do.

I ordered a 14 w Stag handle. Waited 4 1/2 yrs. The Stag really sukd. Watch Ebay. I have bot several off there. With patience good prices and I bought a #1 with Killer Stag. I carry a #8. It is a very handy knife

One Im looking at is about 97% of what I want.

In order to be "perfect" I want to see if I can fulfill that 3%.

If I spent over $600 on a knife I can try to get perfect.

Have a standard #1. It mostly cuts upen boxes from Amazon.

Mine would be for batoning kindling and creating firestarting curls by the chimenea as well as the small sheath knife to use on a gun belt.

The spine will be 90 degrees. They won’t parkerize it. Probably won’t do a custom hilt of carbon steel.

The spine will be 90 degrees. They won’t parkerize it. Probably won’t do a custom hilt of carbon steel.

I believe same but must ask all the same. I am that guy......

Could end up with the one in the photo and be happy.

Price is up there though.

That knife you can use the shit out of and your grandkids will be fighting over it someday.

Reactions: Zeroit
    From RMK.......

We do not offer this knife in carbon steel. Please advise if you would like to order a Fireman with stainless steel.

WTF? How did this happen?

Shipping to:
    MA 02474-2521, United States
    Order number: 05-04188-######
    RANDALL KNIFE KNIVES NON-CATALOG FIREMAN,SS,BDH,GM,BPH,WT #A2304
    RANDALL KNIFE KNIVES NON-CATALOG FIREMAN,SS,BDH,GM,BPH,WT #A2304
    Guaranteed delivery by Mon, Dec 2.

Take it! How many $$$.$$?

I counter offered at what I thought was a good number considering Randall page pricing, avoiding a six year wait and allowing seller to make some money.

He came back with an offer slightly less than my offer. :)

What I wish I had of accounted for was him hitting me for my state taxes.

Fine if he is going to be on the hook for my state taxes than that's my problem not his but it was a pretty significant hit at 6.25%

So $623 for knife.

$20 for shipping which is a little steep but I figured a $15 medium flat rate box would have been the way to go.

My state nailed me though for taxes close to $40. $683 total.

I guestimated the double tang knife with a potential 6 year wait at about $550 -$575 (add tax to that - $610.00) from Randall.

$643 would have been nice considering it will be in hand next week.

I don't have a beef with the seller as long as he is on the hook for forwarding the tax charged to MA. Any beef is with my state that considers me an ATM.

Don't they realize that knives are a right and a necessity that should be tax free?

Last edited:
    I saw this one a while ago. What exactly was the thinking behind making one that could be converted to a spear? Longer reach as a weapon? Hunting/fishing tool? Multifunctional walking stick? Or just a "I kinda wanna do it, I think I'll give it a try" idea by an employee?

Wanted one, still regret not buying all five for sale at a gun show years ago for $400-$500 each --new and unused. I wanted something else at the time. Oh well. Wanted one in the army but never got around to getting one, just made a KaBar make do (and it's still making do, a hard to pass $50 tool that gets it done).

Waiting on a Winkler serrated G10 Spike right now, my Christmas and survived my divorce and move gift to myself. Simplicity keeps the price down and not being a presentation grade item means I'm more likely to use the piss out of it. Though it's still a nice looking knife to me I can't wait to show off...

I saw this one a while ago. What exactly was the thinking behind making one that could be converted to a spear? Longer reach as a weapon? Hunting/fishing tool? Multifunctional walking stick? Or just a "I kinda wanna do it, I think I'll give it a try" idea by an employee?

Deaspite the pure function design of most of their knives I do see some that would only appeal to a collector/fantasy minded person not a hard user.

Reactions: Fig and RTH1800
    Deaspite the pure function design of most of their knives I do see some that would only appeal to a collector/fantasy minded person not a hard user.
    Without the serrated blade I can see a use for a spear, but keeping up with a long metal tube like that would be a pain, assuming it's just a screw-on shaft. Certainly not something that'd be intended for military survival use, but a neat idea at least. Maybe in the next Rambo movie...

Reactions: Fig and pmclaine
    Got a second email from Randall.

Seems a little "curt" but I guess when you are good you can be.

Sent him a polite message back telling him my desires have been met.

Also @pmclaine you've made me stare at the RMK site for the past few hours and gone looking at pics of old ones. Hadn't given one much consideration before but now...

I'm very much taken by the #2 and the #16 diver. Long-bladed #2 with a micarta Border Patrol grip and brass cap drilled for a lanyard, forward-curved double guard or just the thick slab of brass like the #14/15, serrated top edge would be great if they could do it. Or a #16 with a similar setup. Either way, something very like the Vietnam-era MACV/SOG SCUBA + demo knives that are now all but extinct, but with a couple slight changes. #16 with serrations and the guard change is probably the best I'd be able to get, based on their site options, though.

I have quiet a few Randall knives from era to present I would sell. If anyone is interested please send specific wants and I will dig them out. Time to move them on.

Also @pmclaine you've made me stare at the RMK site for the past few hours and gone looking at pics of old ones. Hadn't given one much consideration before but now...

I'm very much taken by the #2 and the #16 diver. Long-bladed #2 with a micarta Border Patrol grip and brass cap drilled for a lanyard, forward-curved double guard or just the thick slab of brass like the #14/15, serrated top edge would be great if they could do it. Or a #16 with a similar setup. Either way, something very like the Vietnam-era MACV/SOG SCUBA + demo knives that are now all but extinct, but with a couple slight changes. #16 with serrations and the guard change is probably the best I'd be able to get, based on their site options, though.

Google the seller on EBay I got my knife from, SJJP knives, iirc.

Just make sure when you haggle you consider your state tax burden.

Poor enjoys company, join me.

Google the seller on EBay I got my knife from, SJJP knives, iirc.

Just make sure when you haggle you consider your state tax burden.

Poor enjoys company, join me.
    Hey the guy's selling some of the spear/walking stick shafts for the #18. Looks like it was segmented, at least in one case, so better for keeping in a backpack. Still not the best thing to go with a serrated blade but also still not a bad idea for hiking or something.

Also what taxes do you mean, for ebay?

Hey the guy's selling some of the spear/walking stick shafts for the #18. Looks like it was segmented, at least in one case, so better for keeping in a backpack. Still not the best thing to go with a serrated blade but also still not a bad idea for hiking or something.

Also what taxes do you mean, for ebay?

The internet is no longer tax free.

Sellers are supposed to collect and forward the buyers sales tax to their state.

If you are an occasional seller you will likely never get found out.

This party though has a shit ton of knives and I'm guessing his volume puts him at risk if he doesn't do the required tax collection.

I ordered a model #14 mid 70s two + year wait at the time I used it a lot. One (kid) that worked for me went to the Seabees I sent it to him in Iraq his first fire fight he was In a turret on a 50 it got ripped off he got back to base discovered it missing dog a pile of brass found it. He sent it back to me
    When he got back stateside.
    I had a new sheath made finally it was laying around and I thought it ment more to him sent it couple a years ago
    He was very happy along with all the letters he sent me some some shit he forgot about some he probably didn't want to remember. He still might need it he lives behind enemy lines left coast. My dad still has a few.
    I have been to Randall twice back when Bo was still alive.
    Much history from WW2 on.

The internet is no longer tax free.

Sellers are supposed to collect and forward the buyers sales tax to their state.

If you are an occasional seller you will likely never get found out.

This party though has a shit ton of knives and I'm guessing his volume puts him at risk if he doesn't do the required tax collection.
    Ah. Wasn't aware of that one. Guess mine is somewhere between 4 and 7%. Guess it's a good thing my temptation is outweighed by my frugality.

Ah. Wasn't aware of that one. Guess mine is somewhere between 4 and 7%. Guess it's a good thing my temptation is outweighed by my frugality.

Just dicker with that in mind.

When he came back with a price lower than I offered I was very happy (although it tells me I left money on the table).

Seeing the tax add was a strong ball tap I wasn't ready for.

I had a price in mind I was happy with and he beat it.

Nothing I can really do about taxes and believe me I've been voting to try.

If you buy or sell on e-bay YOU WILL pay tax as e-bay collects it.

Yep it was thought the tax would be the end of eBay because each individual Mom and Pop store is not really equipped to deal with collecting/distributing it to 50 states.

That's quite the hassle being in a shoestring small business having to know 50 tax codes.

Looks like Ebay stepped into the breech.

Wish the govt would just eat a dick already.

Reactions: EddieNFL
    Just dicker with that in mind.

When he came back with a price lower than I offered I was very happy (although it tells me I left money on the table).

Seeing the tax add was a strong ball tap I wasn't ready for.

I had a price in mind I was happy with and he beat it.

Nothing I can really do about taxes and believe me I've been voting to try.
    I'll certainly take it into account, especially when I get around to scope-hunting. Vintage don't come cheap as it is. If only a few folks selling guns didn't have a "no haggling if you're out of state" policy in their listings elsewhere, though, 'cause that kinda puts a damper on my enthusiasm with the extra sales tax crap.

But hey, browsing RMK was a welcome distraction from some bad shit today, so thanks for that! (y)

Good snag. That seller is well known and sells good stuff.

For that blade design, I’d have preferred a single guard, but your is a mighty fine knife.

I think you’ll like the stainless.

Good snag. That seller is well known and sells good stuff.

For that blade design, I’d have preferred a single guard, but your is a mighty fine knife.

I think you’ll like the stainless.

Since purchasing it I've been second guessing the inability to get a thumb on the jimping for control.

It's not going to be a finesse knife though.

I plan on using it as a wedge spending most of its time being pounded by a stick of wood.

Thinking the extra guard will keep my hand from getting beat by my log hammer.

You can always grind it off, lol.

I prefer my knives to have a guard. Single is preferred, but a double is fine. I’ve considered grinding the guard off of my model 15 for the last 15 years. Maybe I’ll do it one day, lol.

As for batoning wood, don’t tell Randall. They consider it abuse.

You can always grind it off, lol.

I prefer my knives to have a guard. Single is preferred, but a double is fine. I’ve considered grinding the guard off of my model 15 for the last 15 years. Maybe I’ll do it one day, lol.

As for batoning wood, don’t tell Randall. They consider it abuse.

Been batoning the fuck out of my $200 Tops knife and the result has been some efficiently started fires.

Was thinking of selling the Tops BOB on here but will probably hang it on a plate carrier I hope to never use.

The Randall will be my go to beater.

I'd like to get a molle sheath to wear the Randall on a pistol belt.

Kydex would be considered also but I'll probably need to send the knife to the sheath former to get it custom built.

Anyone have any good sheath ideas for a Fireman 4 inch blade?

Randalls are like women, they deserve good leather.
    Check out the Firesteel

Randalls are like women, they deserve good leather.
    Check out the Firesteel

The leather sheath it comes with will scratch the need for leather itch.

I want something to attach it to an ASW molle belt or HSGI battle belt depending on whichever I may be wearing.

A pocket for a stone or magnesium block would be a plus.

Hard to beat the classics...........check out AG Russell, and Robert Buchanan who is an authorized dealer. The ebay knives are way overpriced, but readily available if so warranted. Back to you Sir.......;)

IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG

Last edited:
    Reactions: MSTN and Zeroit