• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Random number generator

Yippeekiay

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
Connecticut
Trying to find an app or website to generate random numbers (1-10) in 5 to 10 second intervals. Basically for target acquisition training on shotgun. Found one that I have to push the button every time but not one that runs auomatically. One that doesn't need to run the full sequence before showing the same number would be cool but not necessary.
Thanks

Could you be more clear? Lots of things can generate random numbers, but I am guessing you want a timer to go "beep" randomly between 1-10 seconds. I may have something I remember using for pistol training

Could you be more clear? Lots of things can generate random numbers, but I am guessing you want a timer to go "beep" randomly between 1-10 seconds. I may have something I remember using for pistol training
I think he wants it to just continuously draw a random number every 5-10 seconds, What ever number it displays he will transition to that target number

"I think he wants it to just continuously draw a random number every 5-10 seconds, What ever number it displays he will transition to that target number"

Correct..
( Beep would be OK but not necessary)
Thanks again

You might be stuck making your own. Raspberry Pi could easily be used to program to display some random number for a period of time. Even simpler if you have 10 targets to choose from...it could then just display each digit of Pi or any other irrational number for a few seconds.

if you can use python, here’s a simple way to do it…

import random
import time

while True:
# Generate a random number between 1 and 10
random_number = random.randint(1, 10)
print(f"Random Number: {random_number}")

# Generate a random sleep time between 5 and 10 seconds
sleep_time = random.uniform(5, 10)
print(f"Sleeping for {sleep_time} seconds...")
time.sleep(sleep_time)

"I think he wants it to just continuously draw a random number every 5-10 seconds, What ever number it displays he will transition to that target number"

Correct..
( Beep would be OK but not necessary)
Thanks again
It's very important to understand if your needs calls forrepeats or no repeats. Not the same algo when it comes to RNGs

Reactions: Aftermath
if you can use python, here’s a simple way to do it…

import random
import time

while True:
# Generate a random number between 1 and 10
random_number = random.randint(1, 10)
print(f"Random Number: {random_number}")

# Generate a random sleep time between 5 and 10 seconds
sleep_time = random.uniform(5, 10)
print(f"Sleeping for {sleep_time} seconds...")
time.sleep(sleep_time)
0-9

"It's very important to understand if your needs calls forrepeats or no repeats. Not the same algo when it comes to RNGs"

It can definitely repeat..
Will likely use my phone to call the shots.
Going to take a good bit as I'm not the most computer literate. (Programming)
A good bit to learn here.

Last edited:
A calculator can do that. It generates 0-1 uniformly distributed random number. It can be input to a function to change its pdf (probability density function) if needed.

-TL

Is your phone calling out targets for you and you're alone otherwise?

If not alone, then just use XL to print up a series of numbers on paper for someone else to call out. Different sequence can be had from the same list by starting at a different spot on the list or reading top to bottom. =randbetween(1,10)

Never thought about the sound aspect. I guess with technology, number calling (soundwise) is possible. I was just looking for my screen to show the random numbers at intervals.
Pretty much just me in the basement mounting and aiming at spots on the wall.

Last edited: