• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range ammo for AR15

Re: Range ammo for AR15

I personally don't care for the laquer-coated steel cases that Hornady chose to use on this ammo (saves costs...sure, but can cause a lot of problems). It seems to have the same effect as other lacquer-coated ammo choices (Soviet bloc stuff) which results in stuck cases in your chamber, etc.

For the money, you would be better served to get any number of different surplus options like Federal/Lake City XM193 (or the black-box Federal/American Eagle XM193). This can be had for around $0.35/round from places like Ammunition To Go, etc.

Also, if you don't mind spending a little more for quality, the Black Hills 55gr Blue-box. Triad Tactical (a site sponsor) sells it for around $0.46/round, but it is very good quality, consistent, a great for everyday shooting/pinking/practice ammo at half (or less) the cost of match ammo.

I've had great luck with it.

I purchased 500rds as a test, and they all functioned perfectly so I picked up another 1,500rds. So far, I'm at ~1,800rds and I haven't had a single malfunction.

While I haven't had a chance to put any rounds through a chrono, when I tested for accuracy the 10rd group was 1.3" (fired at 100yds). While I don't consider it match ammo I'll take sub 1.5MOA for working on carbine drills any day of the week.

No reloading the Hornady steel-cased ammo. Fire and forget!
wink.gif

Just a guestion, I have a Daniel Defense Ar 15 DDXV EZ M4 w/ sure fire light, EoTech sights 2 magpul 30 round clips, vertical grip and case. I am looking to sell it but cant post due to low posts.any suggestions

BARFCOM (plenty of good information there too on your original ammo question)

GunBroker

GunsAmerica

AuctionArms

If you do your research, you can find PMC Bronze 55 grain for very reasonable prices. It is excellent range ammo, accurate and reloadable brass. Check Cabelas and CTD.

Wal-mart has a ton of Winchester 55gr for 9 bucks a box, that's right about 45 cents a round...

I picked up some surplus (?) XM193 ammo from sportsmansguide.com but it's a bit warm, seem to get a few stuck cases, etc.

I'll be retesting that theory, previous ammo may have gummed up my extractor...just haven't made it back to the range lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do your research, you can find PMC Bronze 55 grain for very reasonable prices. It is excellent range ammo, accurate and reloadable brass. Check Cabelas and CTD. </div></div>

+1 I have shot a lot of the PMC 55gr. I buy at LTD Ammo online.

Once shot I run it through the Dillon and load the following:

Sierra Matchking 52gr
25.1 gr. H335
Seat to 2.25 COAL

Shoots well in every AR I own.

Ive put 500 rounds of russian made wolf mil. classic through my LWRC and havent had a single malfunction. Its cheap as hell, and i've had decent accuracy with it as well.

I found some PRVI 62 grain (match) about 6 months back for cheap and purchased a lot of cases - just for general plicking... I found it to be exceptionally accurate (better than the XM193) and completely dependable for the $...

M193 has always been my favorite blasting ammo.

Reasonably cheap.

Full power NATO load, so recoil is realistic for duty/SD laods.

The brass is great for reloading.

It is suitable for long term storage/hoarding.

Just get the LC or the American Eagle Federals, fire, learn, reload, and move up to Hornady and Sierra projectiles down the road. Dont bother w/ steel cases, not enough savings for non reloadables w/the possibility of a "gunked" chamber. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beazzer78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the imput. Think im going with PMC or remington. </div></div>

Both are good choices. PMC can often be on sale for less than the Remington.

I have seen PMC for as low as $6.50 per 20rd box from Aim Surplus. i have shot several hundred rounds of PMC and it shoots as well as any other range ammo.

End up buying Federal/American Eagle XM193 1000 rds for 350.00 at local gun store. Going to see how it does and use it for break in shooting.