• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Bag Tool Kit

DustBun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    I am constantly surprised about the number of people that do not carry a basic tool kit in either their gun case or range bag when they go to the range. I can be at an indoor or outdoor range and hear people asking others if they have a Torx or Hex wrench or even a screwdriver and not only does the person needing the tool not have it but the people they are asking don’t either. So I thought I would share with everyone a tool kit that I put together a couple years ago that I carry in my range bag. It is complete enough to get through the common problems but not too big and heavy to solve every problem that could possibly occur. It has worked out well for me and I have never had a need for anything else. I hope this can be helpful to others looking to do something similar.

I have another small bag that contains a small amount of gun oil and cleaner as well as patches, jags, lens pen, etc., just in case. Also, in each of my gun cases I also carry tools specific to that gun, like Fix-It sticks for my Sphur mounts, the tiny hex wrench’s for lasers, etc. There is no sense carrying those tools, and the additional bulk and weight, in the range bag if I am only shooting pistols for instance.

I have included the manufacturer of each tool along with the manufacturer’s part number and what the cost of each tool was, minus shipping, when I purchased it. The bag weighs 2 lbs 13 oz and the loaded dimensions are 6” Wide x 7.5” Long x 3.5” Thick. The total cost was about $205 plus some shipping costs. As a note, the reason I chose the screwdriver handle that I did was because I wanted to be able to get to the socket head cap screw that secures an AR-10/15 handle and still be short enough to fit in the tool bag.

DescriptionManufacturerMFG Part NumberNotesCost
    Side Utility Pouch - TyphonKryptekCUKR18-A158-TYPIncludes Unit Patch
    $49.99​
    Hex Key Set Short - SAEEklind10111.050 - 1/4 - 11 Tools
    $5.35​
    Hex Key Set Short - MetricEklind105091.5 - 10 - 9 Tools
    $10.29​
    Torx L-Key Set - ShortWiha36394T8, T9, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40
    $28.24​
    Pliers - Needle Nose - 5"Craftsman4517Discontinued, substitute CMHT82299
    $7.98​
    Pliers - Tongue & Groove - 4.5"CrescentRT24CVS
    $7.97​
    Pliers - Wire Cutter - 5"WihizzotechSC150
    $10.59​
    Wrench - Crescent - 4"CrescentAC24CVS
    $9.97​
    Screwdriver - Telescoping, Ratcheting Multi-BitDewaltDWHT66567Comes with bits
    $14.85​
    Driver Bit Set, Flat Head - 1"Irwin18998848 pieces (3-4,4-5,5-6,6-8,8-10,10-12,12-14)
    $14.96​
    Hex Bit Set - 1"DewaltDW20689 pieces (1/16,5/64,3/32,7/64,1/8,9/64,5/32,3/16,1/4)
    $10.95​
    Torx Bit Set - 1"DewaltDW20677 pieces (T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40)
    $8.95​
    10 Holes Hex Shank Screwdriver Bit HolderToolcoolTC090210 pieces
    $8.90​
    AR-15 Pin PushersSchuster MFGSN025
    $15.99​
    TOTAL:
    $204.98​

Tools.JPG

Loaded.JPG

Torx.JPG

Closed.JPG

Nice kit. a small brass hammer would be a good addition. Gracie or even the Lyman with plastic, brass and steel faces and a brass punch in the handle though it won't fit that pouch.

Just received the "All In One" "Fix it Sticks" kit (from Snyder Precision @cattleman99, nice kit, and super fast shipping). The torque head will be nice to have jic.

Nice write up for those who might be looking to set up for something like this. I would also recommend a coated cleaning rod. It can save the day when you get a squib stuck in the barrel. Pretty lightweight too and I just keep it under the rear seat of my vehicle and never take it out.

Reactions: DustBun
    I like to have a torque wrench with me too, so I carry a Borka kit. It was money well spent.

Between the Borka kit, the Borka multi piece cleaning rod, and a leatherman and hatchet in the car, if I can't fit it at the bench its time to go home to serious tools.

Nice kit. a small brass hammer would be a good addition. Gracie or even the Lyman with plastic, brass and steel faces and a brass punch in the handle though it won't fit that pouch.

Just received the "All In One" "Fix it Sticks" kit (from Snyder Precision @cattleman99, nice kit, and super fast shipping). The torque head will be nice to have jic.
    Thanks for your response and suggestion. Yes, I am thinking about adding a small hammer. I haven't because "so far" I haven't needed one. I probably just jinxed myself by writing that. :LOL:

Reactions: Halfnutz and Speed
    Nice write up for those who might be looking to set up for something like this. I would also recommend a coated cleaning rod. It can save the day when you get a squib stuck in the barrel. Pretty lightweight too and I just keep it under the rear seat of my vehicle and never take it out.
    Thank you for your response. Agreed, I do carry a cleaning rod in my rifle cases just in case.

Reactions: TNSleeper99
    I like to have a torque wrench with me too, so I carry a Borka kit. It was money well spent.

Between the Borka kit, the Borka multi piece cleaning rod, and a leatherman and hatchet in the car, if I can't fit it at the bench its time to go home to serious tools.
    Thank you for your response. I don't carry a torque wrench per say but I have some different Fix-It Stick kits, Spuhr, Leupold and general kit, that I put in my rifle cases. I have never had a scope mount loosen on me at the range. I always do a pre-check on numerous things on my guns before I leave house, but I still take them just in case.

I have a cleaning kit with a rod and a leatherman with bit set. Haven’t needed more than that at a shooting range. Cleaning kit is in my pack and leatherman is on my belt.

Thanks for your response and suggestion. Yes, I am thinking about adding a small hammer. I haven't because "so far" I haven't needed one. I probably just jinxed myself by writing that. :LOL:

I had to replace my ejector at the range before.. I had the hammer and punch for it and the spare in a baggy.. ill never go without it now.

It amazes me also how many shooter's show up unprepared and without the tools they need to zero out turrets, tighten fasteners, and generally get themselves out of a jam. I've always carried tools with me to the range and to matches and I've used more times to get other shooters out of a jam than myself. My current kit is a conglomeration of Otis Tech components, Fix It Sticks, various small parts, and range tools. It fits into a relatively compact package and weighs in the neighborhood of 2 lbs. I did a write up on it a while back:

I've updated the kit since I posted with a full size lens pen, homemade .22LR bore brush, and a couple other small items, nothing that really added any bulk though.

If I don't have the above kit, I'll at least have a Leatherman MUT with accessory bits and the 1/2" wrench, which is still capable of fixing most crisis on the range.

At a minimum folks should carry have:
    • 1/2" wrench (Ring cross bolt)
    • 3/16" and 5/32" L-wrench (Action screws)
    • T-15 L-wrench (Base and ring cap screws)
    • 5/64" L-wrench (Turret set screws)
    • A multi-tool (pliers, wire cutters, knife, hammer, pin pusher, etc.)
    With those simple tools you'll be able to handle a majority of the annoying issues that crop up from time to time. That list may need to be augmented with specific sizes for different optics and such, but the above is a good base to start from.

Reactions: BuLLet and DustBun
    It amazes me also how many shooter's show up unprepared and without the tools they need to zero out turrets, tighten fasteners, and generally get themselves out of a jam. I've always carried tools with me to the range and to matches and I've used more times to get other shooters out of a jam than myself. My current kit is a conglomeration of Otis Tech components, Fix It Sticks, various small parts, and range tools. It fits into a relatively compact package and weighs in the neighborhood of 2 lbs. I did a write up on it a while back:

I've updated the kit since I posted with a full size lens pen, homemade .22LR bore brush, and a couple other small items, nothing that really added any bulk though.

If I don't have the above kit, I'll at least have a Leatherman MUT with accessory bits and the 1/2" wrench, which is still capable of fixing most crisis on the range.

At a minimum folks should carry have:
    • 1/2" wrench (Ring cross bolt)
    • 3/16" and 5/32" L-wrench (Action screws)
    • T-15 L-wrench (Base and ring cap screws)
    • 5/64" L-wrench (Turret set screws)
    • A multi-tool (pliers, wire cutters, knife, hammer, pin pusher, etc.)
    With those simple tools you'll be able to handle a majority of the annoying issues that crop up from time to time. That list may need to be augmented with specific sizes for different optics and such, but the above is a good base to start from.
    I checked out your other post. Nice kit!!!

I agree with you, I have this kit but it seems it is always used to help someone else. I too am surprised by the number of people that are trying to zero in an optic only to find the mount is ready to fall off. I don't know. Professionals vs amateurs?

One thing that I added was a front sight adjustment tool ( for AR ). It seems that somebody borrows it every time I am at the range.

One thing that I added was a front sight adjustment tool ( for AR ). It seems that somebody borrows it every time I am at the range.
    That's a good point. I thought about that but decided to carry mine in that specific rifle case. I only have one rifle rifle that needs it. Hmmm, maybe that is an indicator that I need more rifles??? :LOL:

Great post, and also dog pile on the borka kit, I dont leave home without it.

But random question: as most may have seen, hex wrenches screw and multiply faster than pigs. I always seem to end up with so many random hex wrenches of unknown size. What does the group do to help quickly figure how what sizes they are? I have some slow/manual ways but would be great to speed through them quickly and label them.

But random question: as most may have seen, hex wrenches screw and multiply faster than pigs. I always seem to end up with so many random hex wrenches of unknown size. What does the group do to help quickly figure how what sizes they are? I have some slow/manual ways but would be great to speed through them quickly and label them.

2E771A60-E73A-41B1-A944-3047B777D61E.jpeg

Something like this,
    4CC9CD5A-FFFD-4C58-9CB3-08E95853DDA2.jpeg

or this.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
    Another good idea is to create a list with all the fastener sizes and torque values for each rifle. ie action screw size and torque specs, scope ring and mount size and specs, etc. As part of your pre-range checklist you can verify torque values are correct.

The list of fasteners and torque values isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't check them with a torque wrench as part of any pre-range check procedure. After I tighten the major fasteners I mark them with a paint pen and that provides a fast visual confirmation that nothing's loosened up.

Reactions: Habu34 and DustBun
    Borka Kit and Leatherman MUT for me.
    Also have .mil(GI) cleaning rod with extra sections for longer barrels.

Last edited:
    I have made it a point to go over every bolt head on optic rings, mounts, handguards, turret caps etc for all my rifles and make sure I have the torx, allen, standard and phillips heads for my Fix It Stick driver. Also include pics, punches, pliers, crescent wrench, hammer with removable heads, patches, oil, jags, and brushes. Throw in some blue loctite just in case. It all fits in a small tool box that's easy enough to bring to the range. I keep a dedicated cleaning rod in each rifles case. Not much worse than driving 2 hours to a range and needing something you have, but its not with you. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The list of fasteners and torque values isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't check them with a torque wrench as part of any pre-range check procedure. After I tighten the major fasteners I mark them with a paint pen and that provides a fast visual confirmation that nothing's loosened up.
    You know of a fine point paint pen to make witness marks on scope ring fasteners? My paint pens are too fat for some of these little bolts and screws.

I do something similar to what @Powder_Burns recommends. I have a small card I keep in each rifle case giving the rail slot number, wrench size and torque value for everything mounted. This way I can completely disassemble, if needed, and put things back in the original location. My memory isn't as good as it once was.

Reactions: Halfnutz
    This is a good idea because it is a visual check and also since the breakaway torque is always higher than the actual torque value and checking the torque, like I do, really only ensures that it is tight, not necessarily at the correct torque value.

My cell phone comes in handy for the same reasons. I take pictures of where the scopes sit on the rails, the numbers set, etc, etc.

I do something similar to what @Powder_Burns recommends. I have a small card I keep in each rifle case giving the rail slot number, wrench size and torque value for everything mounted. This way I can completely disassemble, if needed, and put things back in the original location. My memory isn't as good as it once was.

Fingernail polish also works good for marking screws to make sure they're not backing out. Put a small blob on the screw and ring, after it dries if the screw backs out it will crack.

Since I started using stackable, RIGID boxes with a wheeled bottom, I am not limited with respect to tools, support bags and all other repair parts when I go to a conventional range facility. Much easier way to go than carrying or finding out that the tool you need is not with you. More often than not, I am the guy that everyone comes to for a tool when their stick shits the bed.

When I go out onto a non-square range area is when I have to think and pack accordingly. I try to ensure that I have everything I need for the stick/optic I am carrying.

I also use Apple Notepad for a variety of documentation regarding scope settings, positions on rails and other important knowledge bombs that I find useful from these pages. I type it out on my laptop and it is automatically on my iPhone. The most important of which, along with my DOPE tables, are on laminated cards which go with me in case the electronics shits the bed. All of the weaponized math charts are on nice small laminated cards.