• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

longeyes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2007
Graham WA
Does anybody have a good/easy program for making custom range cards on their pc for those of us who are semi-pc illiterate? I would like to be able to take data from JBM and compare it to my own field data and build a card small enough to pack around.

Re: Range Cards

i just copy and paste the jbm info into a word processing program. from there i cut whatever info i dont need on a dope card, adjust font size to suit and print.

You can also cut and paste into Word and adjust the width of the columns to fit your needs.
JBM is the ticket, especially now that it has Litz's measured BC's in a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">G5</span>G7 profile-very close to me field dope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Litz's measured BC's in a G5 profile...</div></div>

I wasn't aware Bryan had calculated G5 BCs. I do know he has G7 BCs in his book.

I can get you a printed card, on a white credit card size stock. If your interested, send me our drop, wind, etc. data, and I will show you a copy of it. $5 plus shipping. Will not smudge, fade, is waterproof and will last longer than the rifle.

I use JBM, get the output I want, copy it and paste to X-Cell or similar spreadsheet.
The data is very easy to manipulate and you can change font size, add delete column/rows, add gridlines ect.

Print, cut to final size and laminate...custom range cards..

Those are dope cards or ballistic cards. Here is a range card:

rangecard.gif

Lindy,
I will consider myself corrected....Dope card-JBM
Range card...Your post!!
I use a homemade grid-line card

Yea Lindy, thanks for the correction. I did mean dope card-- I was trying to find an easy system to keep good records of my field results compared to JBM data and make a card for my rifle and loads. A couple of the ideas posted here so far seem really workable---Thanks guys

And I stand corrected, I do believe Lindy is correct about the drag function of Brian's tested bullets to be G7 not G5......

Not an automatic program but I've been wasting lots of time trying to compact as much data as possible onto a page that fits in the modular sniper's databook from US Tactical.

9778780-md.jpg

All the numbers are transcribed from multiple JBM runs using the std atmosphere selection for altitude. Windage is calculated at 20mph and spin drift added separately so the sum of the scaled zero-drift windage and the drift yield a 'windage' correction without having to gen multiple tables. Same with lead, it's set at 2fps and easily scaled. All data is easily interpolated as well and doesn't seem to need the use of a calculator as you can do it in your head. Added a PoI error vs. ranging error ratio at the end of the table although I'm not sure if it's of much help.

Generated in an Excel spreadsheet and converted to pdf. A back version is tacked on for duplex printing onto preperfed RITR paper for the six ring notebook. Had to make my own barrel and trigger logs along with a load development sheet (see below) so this kinda fell out along the way.

9778773-md.jpg

Probably useless to anyone trained to use std ballistic cards but I wanted something more intuitive and graphically ergonomic mainly 'cuz I'm an idjut and need all the help I can get.

I can forward the spreadsheet to anyone masochistic enough to want one. It's currently set up to put -1K to 2K on one side and 3K to 6K on the other for the same load, two loads to a sheet.

Yes I have no life, thanks for asking.
laugh.gif

FWIW.

Justpete,
I would be interested in a copy of your x-cell files. Looks like a good system for lots of data.

I would like one also---it will give me something to do in the evenings instead of the tv.

I'll post up something I made up in excell for my mildot master. It's quite nice, simple, compact, easy to read and about the size of a business card, a bit smaller actually. I'll post it when I get home from work.

OK, here it is. I print them out and laminate them and use them in conjunction with my mildot master. Anyone who wants it, shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail you the excell file.

scope1.jpg

Forgot to mention the PBZ-1 in the far right column means that come-up is one click down from the far point-blank zero so in every case on this sheet you'd dial in 1 mil up from zero for about 320yds. The em-dashes in the column indicate the span of the PBR which ends at about 375yds for a 10" dia target. Saves having to annotate this elsewhere but it does require knowing what the diameter is although I suppose it could be noted in the row with the page title.

And the delta numbers are text blocks gen'ed off the drawing toolbar and placed to provide the incremental come-ups in an intuitive way. Note the numbers related to windage are italicized and a different font size from the 'lead' number to make it easier to pick up the correct numbers when doing calcs in your head. The spin drift and lead barely change across the DA range and originally I had them as separate columns at the end but that just makes it easy to lose your place when sweeping back and forth to pick up the numbers so I rearranged to have them adjacent instead.

I should mention that if you run JBM with drift and compare the numbers to those gen'ed w/o summed with the drift (wind set to zero) there will be errors of a tenth mil from time to time due to rounding errors in the separate calculations.

To automate the PoI/range calculations I just created a temp equation in each cell (well, one and then dragged) and placed the four numbers taken as input from the relevant JBM runs in the columns to each one's right, replacing the equation with the final number by over-typing the equation and then deleting the contents of the four cells to its right.

FYI, Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, here it is. I print them out and laminate them and use them in conjunction with my mildot master. Anyone who wants it, shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail you the excell file.

scope1.jpg

</div></div>

Nice card. Data from software and field checked?

Data is from JBM. I'm not throwing the data out for use, I'm just throwing the card template out for use. you are responsible for developing your own data. I have tested some, but not all of the data on that card. I am in load development phase for that particular round. All the data on the card is straight from JBM, based on MV of 2650, I believe. From what I've seen to 600 yards, the data will 100% get you on paper.

http://www.toppredatorproducts.com/Page_3.php
for $25.00 you get to make your own range cards (drop and windage) for as many calibers and loads that you want using your ballistic data. tutorial on wind estimation, rangefinding with mildots and regular reticles, angle shooting, converts inches and fractions oif inches to moa, gives you your turret number, etc. worded for a layman (simple to use).

OK, everyone who requested my range card excel file and sent me their e-mail address has been sent the file. If anyone else needs the range card excel file, please send e-mail to [email protected]

Take out the REMOVEREMOVEXXX to e-mail.

Lindy,

Don't you use Excel to make DA based cards? I'd like to see how you lay them out if you wouldn't mind. I suck at using Excel so
grin.gif

the most easy way i found to make cards is by like what has been said above,

copy and paste info from ( http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx )into excel

delete un wanted info

size up into handy sizes 2inch X 3inch and you will have 6>7 small cards then laminate

i also do it down to 10 yard incroments out to 1100 yards for my .308 and also for my scope with 1 MOA marking on the dial i have made the chart display in fractions instted of decimal. (EG "6.175" MOA would show up as "6 1/8" and that tells me to dial 6 and 1 click (8 clicks per moa)

also with the big game info dont use the inches of drop as MOA we all know its a mistake waiting to happen. use the "click" value and divide that by the number of click per moa your scope has (all this asuming you have a MOA scope not MIL)

(would add pics but cant work out how)

My how times have changed. I remember using C-rat boxes for doing range cards.

When I ran sniper and machine gun schools I wouldnt let students do range cards on pre-printed cards. Instead I made them do the RCs on c-rat boxes, cartage boxes or even the brown paper covering ration tolet paper.

I even teach my kids the old way (hunting now). We hunt on horses and like to get to a high area where 4-wheelers cant get. Talk scrap of paper and mark possible crossing areas (from elk getting away from the 4 wheelers. Mark the ranges to the locations and put the sight changes needed for each given range.

All you really need is a piece of scrap paper, range finder, pencil and knowledge of your zero. Its really fund to do.

Now I cheat. I got one of those fancy Luppy range finders with a built in BDC. Sight it in for a given range, i.e. 200 yards, range in on a target and it tells you the hold over/under in MOA. All you got to do is set it up for your given cal. I've only used it on my 270, 257 Rbts and 375 H&H. I found to pretty accurate.

Its all fun to play with. Throw in a good map and gps and you can whip out a range card anywhere.

Things have gotten a lot more advanced from the days of using a map and military compus for setting up range cards.