• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Day at Triple C (2,000 yd Impact with 16” 6.5CM!!)

dbransco

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It has been somewhat of a bucket list item for me to shoot to 1 Mile; I have shot PRS matches fairly regularly to 1,100 - 1,200 yards previously. I was in TX this week and yesterday I had the opportunity to go to Triple C Range in Cresson, TX. First off, this facility is very nice. They are located on approximately 4,000 acres, have 6 or so bays for the 2,000 yard range (targets between 800 & 2,000 yds), roughly 10 bays at the 1,000 yd range (targets every 100 yards), a positional range with quite a few props with targets to 800 yards and numerous other 100-200 yd sight-in bays and other ranges.
I have been in between homes this last year and have not been able to shoot and additionally all my reloading gear is packed away, so I didn’t have the AXMC I usually shoot. I have a Desert Tech SRS Covert A1 with a 16.5” barrel spun by Ty Frehner. This setup will stack rounds everyday at 100 yds with factory Hornady Match 140 gr. I have shot 1 PRS match with greatest distance of 1,000 yds and felt this setup did fine, but with the lower velocity (2,577 fps) and factory ammo., I somewhat subconsciously felt that roughly 1,000 yds was where this setup realistically “maxed out”. While I have been out of shooting, I took the opportunity to upgrade my reloading gear and picked up a Terrapin X and upgraded Kestrel to the 5700 Elite.
Yesterday, I started at the 1,000 yard range and worked my way from the 300 yd target to the 1,000 yard target. Dope was spot on using Terrapin and 5700 Elite; however, the wind was gusting from 5 to 13 mph and switchy. My wife, who has never been to a range, nor has spotted was spotting for me with 15x Swaros. The switchy winds and inability to spot misses gave me some trouble at 1,000 yards, but after learning the range and wind flags, was consistently hitting 1,000 yards. We then moved to the 2,000 yard range (1 & 2 MOA targets). I setup and began at the 1,700 yard target. I shot 20 rounds here and spotted several impacts near the base of the target, but again the switchy winds and difficult conditions made spotting hard. The range officer dropped by and shared that some of the target flashers had been removed and I began second guessing whether or not I may have made contact and could not see the 140 gr. impact. I switched to a 1,760 yard target within a different lane. Within 12 shots, I impacted the mile target! I was pretty excited having done it with a 16.5” barreled 6.5CM shooting factory ammo. I began packing it up knowing in my mind that I did not confirm the shot with a second, but was going to leave on a good note. My wife says “you have to shoot the 2,000 yard target!” So I setup on it and held 38.7 mils (22.5 mils on optic and 16.2 mils on reticle). My wife spotted the first miss, I made the correction and impacted with my 2nd shot!! Needless to say I was very happy. The Triple C Range is a very nice place to shoot if ever in the Cresson, TX area.
I didn’t take many photos, but the one below shows the rifle and the 2,000 yard range. I began shooting the 3rd lane of Targets from right. The 2,000 yard target is the yellow target on the far left of the photo;
676F3DE0-BE4B-4151-8DD8-8FC64EB88D08.jpeg

0DA3390D-A0CC-4EBC-934B-14AC447587D1.jpeg

Last edited:
That's awesome, man. Really good shooting, awesome that the Missus made it out with you to spot, too. What a way to take advantage of a great opportunity. I'm hella jealous right now.

Thanks! The Triple C Range is definitely worth visiting if ever in the area. The range staff were very nice and it appears to be well run. It was a great time and I am extremely proud of my wife. She did a heck of a job spotting with binos, virtually no instruction and no experience.

I picture when I die, thats what heaven will look like :>)

Nice! Good write up and cool pics. I like that you talk about the misses. Many forget to mention that..... and that you talked about the Missus. Thats highly important and so cool she pushed you yo hit 2k! Good lady.

Be sure to let the Mrs have the chance to give a back massage to a 2000 yd shooter tonight! ?

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976