• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Range Estimation with npr1vs r2

vprtoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
lake titicacca
Has anyone had better luck especially on smaller targets using the reticle for range estimation with the r2 vs the r1 or will the r1 work better in a moa-moa set up

the R2 seem's a lot less busy (to me anyway)

Re: Range Estimation with npr1vs r2

For tactical shooting and range estimation, the R-1 is hands down better. For hunting applications the R-2 works nicely!!!

The NP-R1 is superior in regards to range estimation, though not my first pick. If they made one with 2 moa marks on the vertical and horizontal, I think it would be a better reticle than either of the two mentioned.

Of course, unless one is rushed for time, their are more precise ways to range targets using a scope.

Thanks for the info
however is anyone using the R2 for tactical shooting with good results

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NP-R1 is superior in regards to range estimation, though not my first pick. If they made one with 2 moa marks on the vertical and horizontal, I think it would be a better reticle than either of the two mentioned.

Of course, unless one is rushed for time, their are more precise ways to range targets using a scope.</div></div>

Hi matchking,

I would like to learn those "more precise ways to range target using a scope", where can I find more information? Using the reticle to range is the only way I have learned so far, and be interest to learn more precise ways.

Thank you,

Dyl..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info
however is anyone using the R1 for tactical shooting with good results </div></div>

I am going to run mine at the ASC new shooter match in late september i will let you know how it works out. its all i have at the moment and dont have the cash for a nice ffp scope so i will make it work.
it just requires a bit more math to range the targets and ive been using it so far at 22x or 11x and its been dead on so far in my practice shooting thus far.

I know what you mean the r1 is way "busy" and I'm just not used to it I guess

what would be nice is a moa-moa with the MLR "style" reticle then we would be talking

less "busy" and I like it a lot just not a mil-mil man

let me know how ya do good luck

NPR2 has goofed me up more than once because the horizontal hashmarks are 5 MOA instead of 4 MOA. Overall I wish nightforce would offer something like the NPR2 but with 2MOA increments in both directions and thicken up the subtension of all their lines. Something like 2-3x as thick except for the center of the reticle for the first MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NP-R1 is superior in regards to range estimation, though not my first pick. If they made one with 2 moa marks on the vertical and horizontal, I think it would be a better reticle than either of the two mentioned.

Of course, unless one is rushed for time, their are more precise ways to range targets using a scope.</div></div>

Hi matchking,

I would like to learn those "more precise ways to range target using a scope", where can I find more information? Using the reticle to range is the only way I have learned so far, and be interest to learn more precise ways.

Thank you,

Dyl.. </div></div>

He's probably talking about using the turret for rangefinding assuming u can get the rig steady enuf to hold accurately enuf.

If i were using the R1, i'd make the 1 MOA my main subtension unit and just apply a modification of the mil-ranging formula like this for say a 10" tgt. that brackets 2.5 1 MOA stadia lines (inches to yds.)--

10 x 100 / 1.0472 / 2.5 = range

If u want to get even slightly more accurate subtract the thickness of 1 line since most guys try to bracket a tgt. between stadia lines instead of from center of line to center. Your main subtension unit would then be 1.0472-.065=.9822 (seems insignificant but could make a difference at longer ranges)--

10x100/.9822/2.5=410

IMO, the best way to range a target is to break up the smallest stadia to stadia gap into tenths of it's subtension for the most efficient rangefinding system possible with your reticle. In this case the "subtension unit factor"...constant... becomes 100/.9822=101.81. This makes it faster to calculate. If your only ranging 1 tgt. size then it's real easy as u can calculate the ranging dope before the shoot or just use a new "target-subtension unit factor" of 10 x 100/ .9822 = 1018.12 (for a 10" tgt.)

This is for vertical with the R1. If u anticipate using both vertical and horizontal then calculate subtension units for both and tape that info on your rig somewhere. What they should've done with that reticle was break up the last 2 MOA subtension into 2 1 MOA units so rangefinding is done at the most accurate level and std. for both vertical and horizontal use.

IMO the best way to learn rangefinding with reticles is to memorize the most basic form of the mil-ranging formula--
(inches to yards)--

tgt size (") x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yds.) / reticle subtension (") / gap tgt. occupies (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

This way u can "mil-range" with any multi-stadia reticle (including target turret subtension changes). The application of this concept is WAAAYY bigger than the mil-dot itself.

Thank you Steve,

Being new at this, and kinda bad at math...... I will need some time to digest and fully understand what you have stated. However, I would like to thank you for the tips, and will come trouble you again if I have more questions while I figure this all out.
smile.gif

I also have the NP-R1 reticle, eventhought I shoot at known range, and have the software on my iphone for quick ranging, but I want to learn the basic way in case my iphone decides to die on me.

Thank you,

Dyl..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO the best way to learn rangefinding with reticles is to memorize the most basic form of the mil-ranging formula--
(inches to yards)--</div></div>

The best way to learn rangefinding with a reticle is to get a Mildot Master, so you don't have to memorize anything.

Once that's done, so you can learn to break down the graduations in finer increments, put an object of know dimensions at a known range, and observe what it looks like at specific reticle dimensions.

For example, if you want to learn what an object looks like which is between two 0.1 mil marks, use this equation:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
target size(inches) * 27.77
range = ---------------------------
image size(mils_
</pre></div></div>

So, if you want to see what a 12 inch target is which measures 1.85 mils in the reticle, then:

target range = 12 * 27.77 / 1.85

target range = 180.13 mils

So, put the target at 180 yards 1.5 inches away. Then you can see what a target is which is halfway between 1.8 and 1.9 mils.

And you can do those calculations very quickly with a Mildot Master.