• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range etiquette and barrel length

R.O.U.S.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
WA
I was recently at my local range, and I had a couple people ask me what caliber I was shooting, and when I replied .308 they commented about the blast. They didn’t complain to me, or say to stop shooting, but I felt pretty self-conscious after that.

I own a LMT MWS 308 with a 16” barrel with the stock A2 flash hider. I haven’t experienced any blast while behind the rifle, and I thought that with a stock flash hider that it wouldn’t bother other people. When I head to the range I usually bring 100-200 bullets, and stay quite a while.

I was wondering what people’s take on this is. Should I care?

Re: Range etiquette and barrel length

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I care?
</div></div>

Short answer.....No

I'm told my 308 GAP-10, 18" barrel with a Surefire brake feels like getting slapped in the face when shooting next to me.

I figure I'll get out my braked 338 DTA SRS if anyone complains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was wondering what people’s take on this is. Should I care?
</div></div>

No. That's just part of being at the range. I don't like shooting next to a rifle with a brake any more than the next guy, but it's just one of those things that happens.

My rule of thumb on etiquette is who was there first.

If I was there first then they will know what they're getting into.

But twice guys came up next to me shooting .338 and one with a .416.

+1 .. with a 300 win mag that is braked most people will move after one or two shots. But I also like to shoot when the range is fairly empty anyway.

Personally, I'm an M1A kinda guy... that being said, I think of a day at the range like a night at the bowling alley: let the guy next to ya take a shot before you let 'er rip. This way nobody gets butt-hurt about by muzzle blast/flying brass, and every has a good time making loud noises.

As for the barrel burnin', tacticool, house clearin' lead slingers that can't get used to brass bumping into them (let alone the refreshing puff of a muzzle brake thump)... just remember: most people are there to practice marksmanship, to make their shots count, and to enjoy a lazy morning at the range.

Their ammo will only last so long, and business as usual will resume before you know it.

BBB

Be civilized; use a suppressor.
whistle.gif

My thought is that a 16 inch with flash hider is within reason and you should not care.

If it were shorter than 16 inch, or if you had a muzzle brake (muzzle brakes deserve to be hated), then I would make an effort to move if they could not move and I could.

I regularly do mag dumps of my m16, and almost all my uppers have brakes on them, the way I see it if I was there first whoever is complaining can suck it.

Guns are loud; and some more than others. That's just a fact of life and I accept it. Some don't. I would never consider that my problem, but then again, I wouldn't go out of my way to make it anyone else's, either.

If the idea makes you feel guilty, then address it as a legitimate problem. But either way, it's your choice, and yours alone.

Suggesting that some guns are too loud is no smarter that suggesting all guns are too loud.

Shooters have enough antagonists to deal with without turning on their own.

Greg

The 300 Win. Mag that is braked really puts on the show when it comes to sound and percussion to those either side of it. Not so much for me behind it. I usually get there early and set up in the uncovered area at the public range so as to not have those sensitive to the brake close. Have had a few negative comments but generally ignore them as I was there first. I usually don't get comments at the members only ranges.

I usually dont mind the noise or blast from others. I did get my panties in a bunch once when I was trying to take my time with some reloads I had, and a dude rolled up and unpacked his Barrett on the bench next to me (every bench was full). I saw those giant ports on his muzzle brake looking right at me, so I just packed my stuff and left.

No you should not care. It's actually hard to believe people go to a gun range and then complain about noise. They need to get better ear protection.

Never had anyone complain about a .308 in any of the rifles I have ever shot. When I shoot my Savage .338 LM with a muzzle brake, a few guys whine about it. Most guys just keep shooting.

If the range allows guns of that caliber and muzzle brakes, then people have no right to bitch. What do they expect you to do? Stop shooting?

It sort of depends on where the range is. For outdoor ranges, there is no room to complain. For indoor ranges, complaints can happen and may be legitimate, but it's up to the range staff to sort that out, not me. I shoot my 7.5" SBR indoors during the winter, and people who park next to me really feel the pressure from the blast. It happens, but it's not my fault the range staff put them next to me. The only courtesy I extend is going when it's usually empty.

i agree with the who was there first, and the bowling alley theory, a little ettiquite is expected, but it is a gun range, if they dont like it then they can pack it!!

Thank you all for your input. I don't do any mag dumps, and the range I frequent is slow fire only.

I was so tired I forgot to put this in the first post, but I currently have a chrome lined barrel, and bought a 16" stainless steel Noveske barrel. My recent range experience made me wonder if I should return it and move to a longer barrel.

I was using the custom search to learn a bit more. I understand that a longer barrel equals higher velocity, but would an 18" barrel improve blast appreciably?

You are thinking about this shit waaaay too much man. Considering swapping barrels for what, some crybaby whining about a .308. Give me a break!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all for your input. I don't do any mag dumps, and the range I frequent is slow fire only.

I was so tired I forgot to put this in the first post, but I currently have a chrome lined barrel, and bought a 16" stainless steel Noveske barrel. My recent range experience made me wonder if I should return it and move to a longer barrel.

I was using the custom search to learn a bit more. I understand that a longer barrel equals higher velocity, but would an 18" barrel improve blast appreciably?
</div></div>

If you don't need the extra velocity from the 18" why would you want the extra length and bulk? If you are that sensitive to blast get a suppressor.

An 18 inch will have less blast, but I am not sure those people would notice the difference.

This must be one of the most ridiculous complaints I have ever heard of happening at a gun range. For God's sake, you are at a gun range and thats why hearing protection is mandatory. If someone wants to whine...suggest they wear ear plugs underneath and set of ear muffs. If someone is whining about the blast of recoil of a .308 then someone can be polite and offer to move a couple slots down. Either way, this is just absurd.

I shoot .308 in a 16 carbine with brake and it really blows gas sideways when you shoot it but Ive never had anyone complain. My other .308 is a 20in lwrc repr that I always shoot suppressed so no one can even complain about that gun.

Someone is just being a jerk...tell them they are at a shooting range and guns produce noise when fired and that they may wish to conisder better hearing protection or not getting so close if they are getting hit with blast coming out of the muzzle.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm just going to keep shooting 16". Supressors recently became legal in my state, I'll have to think about it.

I had a shooter winch a M82 onto the bench next to me on a 100yard range with a covered roof, after he let me send a round, I packed up and left as did most folks. That rifle is RUDE under a covered roof range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a shooter winch a M82 onto the bench next to me on a 100yard range with a covered roof, after he let me send a round, I packed up and left as did most folks. That rifle is RUDE under a covered roof range. </div></div>

I'd say you were well compensated!

We have a lot of boomers up here. Only once did I tell a guy he couldn't/wasn't
going to set up near me. I had my kid with me and the other 12 benches were open.
he got indignant but moved down. If things get bad I screw the brake on the stw,
back way up on the bench and send the neighbors home. Something about that
brake that is just unholy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a shooter winch a M82 onto the bench next to me on a 100yard range with a covered roof, after he let me send a round, I packed up and left as did most folks. That rifle is RUDE under a covered roof range. </div></div>

I'd say you were well compensated! </div></div>

Reminds me of the times of using those in small enclosed rooms, shooting across the street in Baghdad 2005. This is when a lot of us where dumb and didn't use hearing protection...

I have a 16" with a brake on the end and I try to be polite especially in indoor ranges. If I get quick with the shots it will blow the targets 3+ lanes down.

That being said if someone brings in a shotgun, or .300 win mag or some .500 Smith and Wesson they cause way more issues than me and that regularly happens at the local indoor. As someone mentioned the bowling courtesy of taking turns is a real nice thing to do.

Guns are loud and bullity. If someone didn't expect that or is trying to poke holes in the same spot with a precision .22 rig, they should maybe go to a range more set up to that kind of shooting.

I actually get more complements and start conversations with other enthusiasts who didn't see the mag and thought it was a fat looking m4 variant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a shooter winch a M82 onto the bench next to me on a 100yard range with a covered roof, after he let me send a round, I packed up and left as did most folks. That rifle is RUDE under a covered roof range. </div></div>

When we take my friends 408CT and Barrett 416 to the LA range. People either pack up and move when they see us setting up or we are told by the RO to move down to empty benches. Sitting next to one of these monsters is like getting punched in the chest and in the face. you feel the air come in and out of your lungs and nose due to the overpressure. We have had a couple people just sit next to us and look at us with scorn.
023.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I regularly do mag dumps of my m16, and almost all my uppers have brakes on them, the way I see it if I was there first whoever is complaining can suck it. </div></div>

This is being a shithead ^^^

What's even worse is indoor ranges. We took my 308 AR with a break to a local indoor range. We HAD, targets and shot shells in the booth next to us. After shooing they were now on the floor... We were also getting sprinkled by stuff falling form the ceiling. Shooting it wasn't bad but standing where I am standing in the video, it feels close to the 416 or 50 BMG in concussion. This is a 20" rifle. I can only imagine a 14.5" or even a 12" in 308. Cant wait to try my friends new 9" AR-15 ha ha!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/plcJ-FJ24MY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/plcJ-FJ24MY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a shooter winch a M82 onto the bench next to me on a 100yard range with a covered roof, after he let me send a round, I packed up and left as did most folks. That rifle is RUDE under a covered roof range. </div></div>

When we take my friends 408CT and Barrett 416 to the LA range. People either pack up and move when they see us setting up or we are told by the RO to move down to empty benches. Sitting next to one of these monsters is like getting punched in the chest and in the face. you feel the air come in and out of your lungs and nose due to the overpressure. We have had a couple people just sit next to us and look at us with scorn. </div></div>

Now those babies make a lot of noise. The concussion and shock wave could knock down a tree. I love shooting the 50 but most of the ranges in my area won't allow them. I usually drive out of state to my property.

There are times when I actually appreciate someone shooting a loud gun with a brake. I think of it as training and try to block it out. I go into the bubble and concentrate on my shooting and try to do even a better job.

The reality is that you can seldom control the environment. You need to be effective in any situation. Loud noises should not bother you at a gun range. Now at a movie theater, turn your dam phone off!!!!

Be careful. They were probably checking out your goods.

If I am shooting and using a brake I'll set as far to the side or end as possible if room allows. Otherwise like mentioned above, first come first serve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I regularly do mag dumps of my m16, and almost all my uppers have brakes on them, the way I see it if I was there first whoever is complaining can suck it. </div></div>

This is being a shithead ^^^

What's even worse is indoor ranges. We took my 308 AR with a break to a local indoor range. We HAD, targets and shot shells in the booth next to us. After shooing they were now on the floor... We were also getting sprinkled by stuff falling form the ceiling. Shooting it wasn't bad but standing where I am standing in the video, it feels close to the 416 or 50 BMG in concussion. This is a 20" rifle. I can only imagine a 14.5" or even a 12" in 308. Cant wait to try my friends new 9" AR-15 ha ha!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/plcJ-FJ24MY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/plcJ-FJ24MY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I think being a shithead is bitching about a gun going off next to you, especially if the other guy is already there are you choose to set up next to him. Not sure what kind of 308 you have that knocks stuff off tables, my 17s is cut to 13" and doesn't knock stuff out of the booths next to me at NRA's indoor range. Also pretty sure it feels nothing at all like a 50, or even a 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think being a shithead is bitching about a gun going off next to you, especially if the other guy is already there are you choose to set up next to him. Not sure what kind of 308 you have that knocks stuff off tables, my 17s is cut to 13" and doesn't knock stuff out of the booths next to me at NRA's indoor range. Also pretty sure it feels nothing at all like a 50, or even a 338.
</div></div>

Im not complaining about people shooting next to me im complaining about people who do mag dumps and think they are hot shit in a champagne glass, when actually they are cold diarrhea in a dixiecup.

As for knocking stuff off tables. We had paper targets and 12ga shells in the booth next to us and after we shot they were on the floor. Must have been a magical flying spaghetti monster who put them there right?

Many ranged don't allow rapid fire for a reason. Because doing a mag dump in a crowded range with an AR that has a break is a shithead thing to do. I agree with the the bowling alley etiquette.

Now I'm not bashing mag dumps. They are fun and they also have their place. If you want to do it on the other end of the range, or on your own land, or on an empty range, or hell even if the people next to you are cool with it. by all means have some fun. Now im sure others will agree with me that they don't want someone blasting away all willie nilly, trying to get attention while they are trying to shoot, sight in, or what ever.

I haven't been to public ranges so please forgive my ignorance but how close are the benches? they look like there only a few feet apart.

Also what's an average price for a day at the range. (outdoor range)
Is it hourly ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a shooter winch a M82 onto the bench next to me on a 100yard range with a covered roof, after he let me send a round, I packed up and left as did most folks. That rifle is RUDE under a covered roof range. </div></div>

I'd say you were well compensated! </div></div>

Sure but it is so loud you can't shoot next to it while under cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think being a shithead is bitching about a gun going off next to you, especially if the other guy is already there are you choose to set up next to him. Not sure what kind of 308 you have that knocks stuff off tables, my 17s is cut to 13" and doesn't knock stuff out of the booths next to me at NRA's indoor range. Also pretty sure it feels nothing at all like a 50, or even a 338.
</div></div>

Im not complaining about people shooting next to me im complaining about people who do mag dumps and think they are hot shit in a champagne glass, when actually they are cold diarrhea in a dixiecup.

As for knocking stuff off tables. We had paper targets and 12ga shells in the booth next to us and after we shot they were on the floor. Must have been a magical flying spaghetti monster who put them there right? </div></div>

Sorry that you can't keep all your rounds on target going full auto buddy, assuming you own one. Not all of us do everything in life to try and grab attention, must be a new concept for you. As far as mag dumps, don't presume to tell me what I can and cannot do at a range where I'm a member unless you'd like to say it to my face. Not sure what's up with your affinity for nonsensical fecal analogies, or why you keep making personal attacks like a petulant child, but let's just agree to disagree.

A shooting range is always going to be loud... that is why they make hearing protection. I have a 16" barreled .308 with a rolling thunder break, yes it is loud and yes the percussion is harsh, but I prefer to feel the power of high power precision weapons rather than complain about them.. just my .02

Im new to rifle shooting so go easy on me here....

Whats the point of having such a short barrel on a rifle? Ive read in this thread about people with 9" or 16" or 18" on a .308 ?? wont that have a negative affect when shooting at distances like 400- 600 yard range? Or is this just my misconception ?

I understand the concept as far as better maneuverability

Usually, when I have an obnoxious gun, I either don't shoot it when people are around or if possible I move to a less populated area of benches. I keep one of those diving neoprene face warmers on hand just in case someone else wants to shoot a nasty brake next to me. I use that when I'm using a nasty brake.

Glock30,

In response to your question, it's a whole lot easier to maneuver in tighter spaces. A lot of shooters are finding in Iraq and Afghanistan, that in general, the buildings have multiple small rooms. Getting a long barrel in and out of these spaces is a real pain. By cutting the barrel down, you give up some velocity, but it won't really matter to the ranges one normally shoots at in those conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guns are loud; and some more than others. That's just a fact of life and I accept it. Some don't. I would never consider that my problem, but then again, I wouldn't go out of my way to make it anyone else's, either.

If the idea makes you feel guilty, then address it as a legitimate problem. But either way, it's your choice, and yours alone.

Suggesting that some guns are too loud is no smarter that suggesting all guns are too loud.

Shooters have enough antagonists to deal with without turning on their own.

Greg </div></div>
Great point Greg. And to the OP No you shouldn't care. I get told I have the loudest brake at the local matches shooting USPSA I just make sure to tell the RO to stay a bit farther back.

Some days I am shooting a short braked rifle and some days I am shooting a long or suppressed .22LR.

Here is my take on range etiquette.

The range is a place to shoot. Guns make noise that is beyond "ear safe". Anyone coming to the range should be prepared for it with proper ear protection. Not just proper protection for what you are bringing, but proper protection for what may arrive. Even when I am at the range alone with my suppressed .22's I still have a set of ears handy for when another shooter shows up.

Regarding the brakes, and shooting in general. I don't go to the range to show off my gear. I go to shoot. If there is a bench at the end away from everyone else, that is where I go. If you are bringing a "big boomer" out then you shouldn't have to be asked to move to the end. It should be common courtesy.

If you show up to the range and setup next to a braked .300WM, then you just need to expect to get pummled.

If you are shooting a big bore like a .50BMG and someone sets up on the bench next to you, be kind enough to explain to them that the overpressure from the brake can actually be dangerous. Shit happens and if you peel something off inside that bore, it's coming out fast and it ain't going downrange. Some guys have never felt the hit you take from a fifty and don't realize that brake isn't for show.

When it's all said and done, just because you "can" be a dick, doesn't mean you have to. I see people at the range who feel it's their RIGHT to do whatever the hell they want to. This of course infringes upon others who have a RIGHT to enjoy their time at the range as well. I try to be courteous and helpful, but I am there to shoot. If the level of noise is the only gripe, then I am going politely recommend you invest in better ear protection.

Very well considered LoneWolf USMC.

I shoot suppressed typically and avoid public ranges like the plague. They are frequently dangerous, imho. Luckily there are none where I live.

Common sense. If there are open benches, whoever is arriving should move down and create some distance. If there aren't open benches, they can choose to deal with the noise, wait, or come back.

A year ago this dic planted himself next to me witha braked 300 win mag. What made him a dic was that there were ten consecutive open benches to my left.

Common courtesy, like common sense, is not common. Try to be polite. If there is room at the end, go there. If someone tries to set up next to you when you're shooting a concussive weapon, inform them of that and let them decide if they want to put up with it. If the don't want to, they can move. If you're coming in and there is only one space, ask if the others mind. If someone comes in next to you with such a weapon and there is space down the row, ask them politely if they would consider moving. If they don't, then either suck it up and put up with it or move.