• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Experience Today

Va_Gentleman

Cook
Minuteman
I must be getting older or I just had enough of the stupdity of the local range patrons.

I took my 7yr old daughter to work on eye to scope transitions on targets with my Savage 22. She has been having some trouble picking up targets in the scope, so we were going to fix that today. Local indoor range with 25M lanes.

Here is the issues in order:
1. While getting checked in, a woman came back out of the range area to ask if the fan could be turned down... it was blowing too much air. RO said, I'm sorry, but that is regulation to clear the smoke and for your safety. She went back in and her husband came out and stated he would like to move as he could not even shoot his .45 with the air blowing... it is too cold.
2. After a nice 30 min with my daughter of having the rifle bay (4 lanes) to ourselves.. the Black Ops gamers show up with every UTG, MAKO and CTD attachment. As the Little one is shooting quarter size groups of 15 into a Deer Target, right in the boiler room... EMO boy next to us starts blasting away with his AR. He is shooting at 10M, and cant hit S--T.
3. After looking at my daughters target when we pull it in, he decides adjustments are needed as something is wrong with his knockoff EOtech and Magnifier and starts adjusting with Mag in, Safety Off and no muzzle control.
4. Dude a lane down is doing the "multiple weapon" sighting. His AR is tricked out even more than the guy next to us. He at least clears each rife, yet lays it straight up on the only bench in the Bay for safe keeping. Nice way to have someone mess up your rifle if the table is bumped.
5. Emo dude next to us figures more rounds down range is better and just keeps pulling the trigger... and hitting nothing but the wires, back wall and maybe the poster size target of Osama. Lauren just looks at me and says.. Daddy, why is that man just pulling the trigger... he sucks. I am ready to go home.

I don't know what to think. It's good to have 2nd Amendment rights for everyone.. but damn.. research and learn... take a course; join a club. Seek out a mentor.

When the 7yr old who loves to shoot and was her first trip to the indoor range decides its not worth it...

What do we do with these up and coming learners?

Re: Range Experience Today

Daddy, why is that man just pulling the trigger... he sucks. I am ready to go home.

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Daddy, why is that man just pulling the trigger... he sucks. I am ready to go home.

grin.gif
</div></div>

That was killer, wasn't it? I just wished someone could have heard her say it.

It's the video game generation. They think that spray and pray is the only way to come on target. I'm glad they aren't hide members.
P.S.-I wish we had indoor ranges here.

You either have the range nazis (Which is annoying, but with as much scrutiny and liability they are under, I don't knock them too much for it) that won't allow you to do anything within your skills, or you go to a public property shooting spot and every idiot with a gun shows up. They're loud, abnoxious, they wave loaded weapons around flagging everyone they can. I've seen people drink beer and smoke pot, and kids who claim to be gamers and have never fired a rifle before buy an AR with every attachment possible and have no idea how to use it. The also think they know absolutely everything there is to know about firearms and shooting. Arguing is pointless.

What cracks me up is when someone thinks that shooting as many rounds as fast as possible with a 500 MOA group at 10 yards is "pretty good"...
grin.gif

I need to find a secluded spot out in the backwoods to shoot...

Rare is the time I go to a public gun range anymore, but unfortunately for some they're a necessary evil. Best money I spend every year is on my private club membership and I quite enjoy the company of other members there. At 37 I'm one of the young guys, and even though there are no range masters (we're self policing), it is the safest shooting environment I've been in outside of the Marines.

Sounds like you might have stumbled onto an ARFCOM hometown members meetup.... It's a few months off deer season here and the time of year I hate going to the range for shooting... It is however a good time to go to the range and "fudd watch". It's kinda like people watching at the mall but these clowns have guns and no skillz. You know the type who shoot 3 rounds a year to sight in for deer season at a pie pan. As long as 3 shots are on the pan that are golden....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CommAV80R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the video game generation. They think that spray and pray is the only way to come on target. I'm glad they aren't hide members.
P.S.-I wish we had indoor ranges here. </div></div>

It's sad that even the gamers have a decent chance in becoming good shooters. The problem is, in my opinion, is that they lack the respect for a firearm in the first place. They cannot draw the line between fun/sport/art when it comes to marksmanship.

+1 on not visitng ranges anymore. Too many dumbasses there and I am 1000 times more safe out in the mountains alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Get Hard Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CommAV80R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the video game generation. They think that spray and pray is the only way to come on target. I'm glad they aren't hide members.
P.S.-I wish we had indoor ranges here. </div></div>

It's sad that even the gamers have a decent chance in becoming good shooters. The problem is, in my opinion, is that they lack the respect for a firearm in the first place. They cannot draw the line between fun/sport/art when it comes to marksmanship.</div></div>

+1... If it goes off.. they'll just respawn.

There is always an "expert" everywhere who actually knows nothing
smile.gif

I guess the best way if you would not have had your girl with you is. Hello may I you help out real quick let see if we can get your rifle to zero. You may want to try with open sights first. I know what most are thinking they are not worth it.But if I can get a younger shooter to see his wrong.And if I can get him to maybe hit the target after a short adjustment or short lesson. This if the kid is not too full of himself and some just never had a dad or gramps to show him. If we as adult shooters take the time and try make better marksmen it is time well spent.And last I know its hard to put up with this stuff on the range.You are so lucky your girl is willing to shoot with you mine did not ask till she was 23.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the best way if you would not have had your girl with you is. Hello may I you help out real quick let see if we can get your rifle to zero. You may want to try with open sights first. I know what most are thinking they are not worth it.But if I can get a younger shooter to see his wrong.And if I can get him to maybe hit the target after a short adjustment or short lesson. This if the kid is not too full of himself and some just never had a dad or gramps to show him. If we as adult shooters take the time and try make better marksmen it is time well spent.And last I know its hard to put up with this stuff on the range.You are so lucky your girl is willing to shoot with you mine did not ask till she was 23.</div></div>

True.. true.. I guess I get more frustrated the older I get ... end up like Grumpy Old men talking about younger days...

The last time I was at a public range I was shooting at 50yds just ammo testing different 22lr ammo. Its outside and there are probably 30 lanes, some 100 pound teenage kid sits down right next to me and I wasnt even paying attention to what hes shooting its rimfire only (unless you get the o.k from the rangemaster and he always says no unless its a leo) The range has centerfire lanes from 1-2-3hundred yards.

So anyways I just have my rifle resting in front and rear bags and I hear a massive BOOM and the concusion blast from the kids 300 win mag with a muzzlebrake that was shot about 4 feet from my head knocks over my rifle (which I caught luckily). Im usually very resevered but I told him if he shot that thing 4 feet from my head again id shove it up his ass. He proceeds to act like hes done nothing wrong and says something like "dude chill it a gun range im allowed to shoot it here" About 5 secs later the range master told him to never come back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the best way if you would not have had your girl with you is. Hello may I you help out real quick let see if we can get your rifle to zero. You may want to try with open sights first. I know what most are thinking they are not worth it.But if I can get a younger shooter to see his wrong.And if I can get him to maybe hit the target after a short adjustment or short lesson. This if the kid is not too full of himself and some just never had a dad or gramps to show him. If we as adult shooters take the time and try make better marksmen it is time well spent.And last I know its hard to put up with this stuff on the range.You are so lucky your girl is willing to shoot with you mine did not ask till she was 23. </div></div>

I respect people like you, I am young, and fairly new to shooting, but I never act like an idiot, and am always willing to listen to someone willing to share their knowledge and/or experience.

Also, I feel everyone's frustration about kids being idiot's. I think I hate them more than most people because I always feel like they make a bad name for people my age.

Thats the differance between a REAL shooter and a wanna-be,some guys show up with so many extras on there rifles that its suprising they can even hold them up.I was at a range one day and the RO starts giving me a lecture of extras that he thinks I should have on my rifle,basically I told him to stick with doing his job,and keep his opinons to himself,as he was just totally annoying.....

I would just move to another lane. Even stupid ones tend to notice and either leave soon after or pipe down a bit.