• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range finder $300, 600 yards or so

TheTick

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Metro Philadelphia, PA
I need to purchase a range finder and the team has authorized around $300 and are looking for the neighborhood of 600 yards.

Any suggestions?

I am looking at the Nikon 550 on optics planet for $285... could not find any reviews of it on here.

Tick

Re: Range finder $300, 600 yards or so

hi,
i have a leica lrf 1200 i buy for 300 dollars(a used model like new in box),i use it for hunting and target shooting,i have range a deer at about 600 meters without problems and a reflective target at 972 meters,but never try farther.
it it easier to handle than the CRF model .
if you can find a used on i think it's the way to go!
i never used nikon rangefinder but if you are looking for a new rangefinder bushnell elite 1500 is a good one

+1 on the bushnell elite 1500,pretty good for the price. Ive ranged stuff with mine over 1300yds.

IMO to beat the Bushnell 1500 you have to get a Swaro, Zeiss, or Leica 1600 which cost 2-3X and theres still some things I like better about the Elite 1500. It's a excellent LRF for about $350 and will hit trees passed 1000 yards and reflective targets to a mile. No doubt its the best one out there for the money.

Problem is, I am only authorized for up to 300... so I plan on spending 299.99.

Anything on the Leupold RX750?

Tick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem is, I am only authorized for up to 300... so I plan on spending 299.99.

Tick </div></div>

So kick in another $50 and get a good piece of equipment. If your a LEO look into what you can get one for with a LE discount. If it's for department use and you tell retailers that I would almost guarantee you can get the Elite 1500 for well under $300.

My experience with the Leupold RF's is that they don't range anywhere near as far as they claim.

Yeah... I forgot that I get wholesale pricing. Reading the Bushnell Elite specs, it states that hold overs are in inches. Does it have an MOA setting? That is one thing that I like about the Leupold is that it reads things in MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem is, I am only authorized for up to 300... so I plan on spending 299.99.

Tick</div></div>

get a tape measure dude..................

someone did not do their due diligence

That leupold rangefinder is an annoying motherfucker. It just might be as useless as your research technique.

This is just my take on it but i had a bushnell 1000 ARC or whatever it was called and the damn thing wouldn't range a tractor at 600yds i sent it back. Before that i had a nikon that worked, but i sent back due wanting the money for a shotgun. I now have a zeiss PRF and could not be happier. I ranged woods at 1411 yards, past the finder's capability supposedly. Will range anything small or large under 1000yds without being steady. Past 1000 i have to be kinda steady. I'm sure every company makes lemons and i had read great things about bushnell prior to buying one. But my experience sucked which led me to the buy once cry once routine. YMMV.

I have heard a lot of good about the Bushnells, and a lot of not so good about the Leu. I had a Nikon 440, and it quit ranging past about 300 after about 2 years of light use. I now have a Leica 900. Bought it used for a little over $300, works good, will range past 900 most days. Get as much Bushnell as you can for your money, you will not regret it.

Sorry for asking the question gentlemen. Not all of us fell out of the womb stone cold hunter of gunmen shooters who can shoot the balls off of a flea at 200 yards with an unsighted bb gun.

I researched as best as I could and contemplated a few things and bounced them off of you guys on here because I, admittedly, am new to the game of police sniping and do not have a lot of knowledge and figured that I could fall back of the experience of like minded people.

Sorry if my posted questions somehow offended you.

Thanks to the guys that legitimately answered my questions, I'm only trying to properly prepare myself to empty someone's head out, not put holes in paper. No big deal.

I have had good dealings with the Bushnell 1200 ARC.

Tick </div></div>

Here ya go.

Link

Ive nailed deer, rocks, bales, trees well past 800 with this one and coyotes at 600.

Borrowed a friends Bushnell Elite 1500 and could not get it to range large trees/rocks beyond 500 yards (except for one 575 yard after multiple attempts, changed batteries same result, hazy day and full sunlight). Image quality OK.

I have the Nikon Archer's Choice and it ranges reliably to 200 yards (it's stated range), can't speak of the 550s capabilities. The image quality is terrible, no way it could replace binoculars. It is very lightweight.

I bought the Swaro and ranges reliably to 1100 yards (or further) on same size/reflectivity objects. Heavy, but it is easier to hold steady. It does, however, cost $1000. The glass is also much better (very good) and will likely suffice instead of additional binoculars. In my opinion, it offers a good value for the price.

I highly suggest you try before you buy. Check em out at Bass Pro or Cabelas if they are in your area. Especially if they will let you try them outside. I believe many company's claims of range capabilities are highly overstated for real world conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That leupold rangefinder is an annoying motherfucker. It just might be as useless as your research technique. </div></div>
Or the search engine on here!

Disclaimer, this is a phenominal site but the search engine does suck.

Cabelas trip may be in the forecast. What is the major difference, other than the stated range, between the Bushnell Elite 1500 and the Bushnell Legend 1200?

Both claimed distances are way further than I am realistically going to range on the job. If it is all in the distance, then the 1200 is more attractive due to price.

Tick

My mini-review of my Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF, confirmed to range furry critters to over 750 yards, reflective targets to over 1500. Street price $400.

+1 for the Elite 1500 for good value.

Bushnell 1200 arc. My buddy has one that I've played with great piece of equipment for the price. Find em online for well under 300 new.