• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range finder beam pulse

WirgmanUSMC

LCpl
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Flat Rock, NC
So I’ve been trying to do some googling and have come up short on an answer. My friend and I were viewing our rangefinder beams under my PVS14 the night before a match a month ago and noted how different all the beam pulses were. We had his Vortex HD 4000, Sig Kilo 3000 BDX, and my Steiner M830R LRF.
Both the Vortex and the Sig had relatively rapid pulsing beams, and the Steiner was a continuous single pulse.
The following day there was dense fog and everyone in our squad was mainly running Sig 3000BDX’s and there was a pair of Vortex Fury’s. No one was able to get any readings in the fog and mist past 20-30yds, (save for one pair of Sigs) and my Steiners were getting consistent ranges out to around 400, after which the fog was too dense to see anything.
I’ve been curious as to what the role is in beam pulse duration as it pertains to different range finder functions. My Steiners are void of any frills. You can change between M and Y and that’s it. No inclinometer, no first or last feature, nothing.
The Sigs and the Vortex however offer the “first” and “last” features, among others, so I’m wondering if the rapid beam pulse is there to facilitate this feature by sending numerous rapid signals back to the receiving unit to isolate the closest or furthest signal to display.
Is there a trade off however in performance under certain conditions due to the rapid pulse in comparison to range finders with long steady pulses?
Has anyone else viewed a sampling of rangefinder beams under NV use? Aside from the non IR visible military spectrum units of course.

Now you've just gotta let us know if there's a difference in precision and target acquisition at range...that's what all the fancy modes and pulses are supposed to give us! ;-)

The farthest animal I've ranged so far is a pair of Bald Eagles (I've got the Vortex). 395 yds perched...not a lot of long range shots here in the wild. Works fine on steel as far away I want to shoot it, so far.

Reactions: WirgmanUSMC
If you get a LRF with a 1550nm beam (invisible to NODs), you’ll be able to range through fog or smoke.

Reactions: WirgmanUSMC
If you get a LRF with a 1550nm beam (invisible to NODs), you’ll be able to range through fog or smoke.
I have the lesser of the Steiner models, the non 1535nm beam, which Steiner advertises as invisible to IR NV. I can’t find a listed nm wavelength for my model, but from what I can find the Sigs and the Vortex’s run between 600-900nm. I’m curious if my Steiners run high enough to help cut through some fog, but still low enough that I was able to see the beam with NV?