• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range finder for cold weather- 1500yds +

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm looking for a LRF, around the $2000 price mark, that will work well in cold weather (this seems to be a big failing point of most subs $1000 LRFs). Need it to be able to hit 100% IPSC at 1500yd or so, reliably.

I'm open to binos as well as dedicated LRF. Considering TerrapinX, but past warranty history gets me concerned (I know EuroOptic is handling warranty claims now, which is more comforting), I'm open to Leica or Zeiss as well. I'd take other suggestions.

I don't need a solver, but getting an azimuth with a reading would be pretty handy.

Can anyone suggest anything? Again- needs to function in the cold!

For ranging at a mile the TerrapinX would be my recommendation. Cheaper LRF can certainly hit at that distance but not nearly as reliable as the Terrapin (or other more expensive options).

Operational temperature −68 F to +131 F

There is a Terrapin-X in the Exchange Forum ;)

What does "cold" mean to you?

I echo the Terrapin as about the only option for extreme cold, although reading through what they did to some people I have not gone that route - one thread I read even seemed to suggest they turned a legit customer in to the Feds!! No es bueno.

If "cold" is above -30*C, then the Newcons, Zeiss Victory, used Leica Geovid 2700 or a heavily used Swarovski EL are reasonable alternatives. Heard rumors that the higher end Sigs (2400 I think?) will still function, too, although that's just hearsay. I know zip about Sigs.

"Cold" here starts at -40*C, and almost nothing works anymore. Ice fog scatter and inversion scintillation makes long range lrf pretty meaningless (as well as high magnification scopes). Scopes barely function at that point. Not sure if you're thinking in that range of temps? If so then at $2,000 you're kinda stuck with a Terrapin. At those temps I'm only aiming at IPSC steel myself, so I've come to just use a GPS unit that can take the conditions, since I gotta hang the target anyway.

Whatever you pick, keep your LRF in an insulated pouch/pocket with hot hands place judiciously inside the pouch but not in direct contact with the LRF. Extra batteries, same deal. The most successful extreme cold LRF I have used in backcountry mountain extreme weather is the Vectronix PLRF15. I was ranging bulls in -20F through light snow @ 1600-1800 yards. Everyone else in out outfit carried Leica 1600B’s and all they got was 15-30 yards (snow/fog) or no reads at all.

#2 in my experience is the original Terrapin PLRF05. Excellent performance in most cold/fog/rain conditions, but not as good as the PLRF15.

I tried the new Terrapin X but battery life was difficult to manage with the 5700 elite BT functionality. Much of the problem was more due to my own issues on the X unit because have Reynaud’s Phenomenon fairly severely - hence the button design on the X is so smoothly integrated with the body shape that I could not feel the go button, resulting hitting it early or not all, totally messing up te BT cycle while trying to range a last day Muley buck properly.

The TX might work fine for you, however my unit didn’t like penetrating fog/rain/snow well either.

Sold it and went back to my PLRF05 as my main RF. Great glass, etched reticle, gated feature, 3D functionality and doggedly spot on consistent. No warranty that I know of and I don’t care.

I look at LRF warranties just like any electronic devices. GPS, laptop, phones, tablets = expendables just like barrels.

BTW, I have lost a lot of $$ on warranty covered LRF’s failing - but not one dime on the 5 PLF’s I have owned.

Reactions: 338LMAI
For ranging at a mile the TerrapinX would be my recommendation. Cheaper LRF can certainly hit at that distance but not nearly as reliable as the Terrapin (or other more expensive options).

Operational temperature −68 F to +131 F

There is a Terrapin-X in the Exchange Forum ;)

Well, I decided to go with the TerrapinX.

I don't typically need to range in sub 0 temps, but I I'm just not willing to deal with cold weather failures any longer.

Sorry to say Steve, but mil-discount on the terrapin is less than used pricing.

No worries, I think you will be very happy with the Terrapin-X

I offer a Mil Discount as well ;)

Last edited:
Reporting back- The TerrapinX performs awesome! Used it the other weekend in -1 temps, with a -20's wind chill; performed flawlessly out to 1250 yards (as far as I tested it). And that's off things like tree trunks.

Extremely happy with it!

Reactions: nightforce007