• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Range finder with pvs 14

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to do it with the two rangefinders I own (old bushnell and newer Nikon), the problem I have is seeing the display after ranging. I think if the rangefinder were to have the numbers lit in the display it would work. neither of mine have lit displays so it has been a failure.

The kilo line has a led display inside but my curiosity is how you would know you got an accurate reading?

I've ranged a lot at night. Since around nov 2017 i got my first raptar and started using rifle mounted range finders. Before that only hand held rangefinders and even since, i still use handheld range finders often.

Back when i used dual 14s i flipped out the right side 14 and held up the lrf to right eye.
Using 14 on left eye and fire button on right eye and "walked" the laser pulses onto the target. Like i do in the day, i range three times to be sure.
Of course at night i can usally SEE the laser on the target!
And i read the lrf output with my right eye.
Left eye + 14 guiding laser ... Right eye reading display
If i need more distance, i slip the usgi 3x on the 14
These days with a thermal on left eye and 14 on right eye, i reverse. Flip out the thermal and use same above process with the sides reversed.

If any questions, ask away !!

That is my understanding but I completely forgot that you would be able to visibly see the lazer...makes sense

The commercial LRF's are all too bright to use looking through the 14. Military units like the Vector have a Night setting for the readout, and even have a mount to attach the 14 to the eyepiece. Best using them as Wig said, use the off eye and put the beam on the target, the beam is visible in the NVG.

Both apertures of the LRF need clear LOS to/from the target.

Side by side works great!

I use my PVS14 on a helmet, non dominant eye, then use the sig 2000 I have with the right. you can see the laser through the PVS14 so you know you are hitting the right target then just read the display.

The commercial LRF's are all too bright to use looking through the 14. Military units like the Vector have a Night setting for the readout, and even have a mount to attach the 14 to the eyepiece. Best using them as Wig said, use the off eye and put the beam on the target, the beam is visible in the NVG.
What do you mean by "commercial LRF's are all to bright to use looking through the 14"? I haven't found the rangefinder laser to be very bright at all.

Do it all the time. Look through the NVGs, walk the dot from the rang finder onto the desired target while holding down the button so the laser pulses, paint target, roll up NVGs and look inside the eye piece to get the distance.

I have a cotton ball with a small led light with a flex head stuffed into the exit side of the see thru eyepiece then taped over. You cannot see thru it but you can look into it and read out the distance displayed. I use the pvs14 to see the IR laser flashing on what I want to range.
I also use the silencerco radius slaved to the thermal rifle scope to range at night, but it’s heavy vs small plastic rangefinder.
A tritium light might work as well and would always be on.

Just make sure you purchase a range finder that has the red illuminated display vs the black display

This way you can actually read the information in the dark