• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Finder

300 jarret

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2013
Looking for something that will range a 15" plate at* around 1500 yds. Will a Leila 1600B do this consistently or do I have to go to something like the Veryronix Terrapin? Don't care about the ballistic solutions as I use a Kestrel 4500 AB. JVON

There's a couple of similar threads re rangefinders under "Equipment" right now. My two cents: the 1600B is a great unit, but I don't believe it will do what you want consistently in all conditions. Fir that, you need to step up to the Terrapin.

Terrapin will do it no problem. Buy that unit with Confidence. I'm still excited about mine and had it since they came out. Lol

It smarts a little when you write the check, but that's the only time the Terrapin will hurt you. Absolutely love mine.

Basically, the Terrapin ranges well beyond that on a crappy day while the more common commercial rangefinders might range 1500 yards on a good day.

the vetronix 15c is hard to use on small targets at long ranges, if you have a tripod it makes it a little better. I think vetronix is better for droping steel than trying to drop a 175grn. I would go with lica.

Look at the Swarovski 10x42 EL Range Bino's. They are awesome!!!! Rated for 1500 yards, but I have gotten middle of the day readings of 2K plus on trees. If you hunt, they kill two birds with one stone.

A 15" target is not going to range with much of anything at 1500 yards, the beam size is just too large. A PLRF or Vector will hit a 24x18 target at 1400-1500 pretty well, but a 18x40 at 1800 is a no go. Can the Terrapin range past 2K? Certainly, but not on a 15" circle. 1 Mil at 1500 yards is 54 inches. To get a reliable reading, most units are going to need to reflect at least 50% of the beam off the object. A PLRF 10, for example, is .3 x 1.5 mil divergence. so the beam is 16" x 81" at 1500, or about 1300 square inches. If you figure 50% of the beam return, you'd want a target no less than 650 square inches and a 15" circle is only 172 or so. You'd need a target a little over 30" in diameter to get a reliable range. The Terrapin beam is a bit bigger. Note that the specified performance for the Terrapin is 1800m on the NATO target, which is 2.3m x 2.3m. It will range reasonable targets past 2.5K for sure, but it can't be tiny.

That's true^^^^^ but I still recommended the Vectronix as if you need a LRF, and you need it for ELR, the vectronix is the only way to go.

I agree with the above statement I own one and it has limitations but it smokes the competition.