• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Finder

Nikon147

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2020
Looking to add a Range Finder to my range bag and wanted to see what the Hide Recommends in my price range/needs.

Use would be primarily for shooting steel on the UKD range with the occasional match and hunting trip.
I have access to a 1 mile range, but realistically max range would be 1000 yards, with most of it being 6-800yds.
Budget would be under $500, ideally $3-400.

Cabela's has the Nikon Monarch 3000 on sale for $320, but there's not a lot of reviews/experience that I can find.

What says the Hide?

Reactions: Emmaandhaley
I have an Leupold RX2800. It's ranging capabilities are fine. However, where i have problems is the magnification and hitting the exact target rather than the berm behind it. not so much and issue 600 and in, but past that, I have problems. If I had it to do again, i'd have kept saving my money and go a bino/range finder combo where can be sure that i'm ranging the target and not the berm behind it.

Leica

The 2400 would serve you well

I’ve had the 1600 and currently have the 2700 and both are excellent units. Clear glass with a small enough beam to hit smaller targets

The vortex razor HD4000 is another that would have my interest at $500. Never used one though

I run a Nikon 4K black. I have no complaints with it. Seems to be very solid for the money.

Just got a Vortex Razor 4000, works great. I have gotten reads on buildings at 4100 yards. Solid choice for the money.

One thing to note is the size of the beam the rangefinder throws. Not sure on the vortex but I did a side by side with my Leica 1600 and the sig (I believe the 2400 model but not positive)

Both could pick up targets well past my range of 1200 yards. One thing I noticed tho is the sig would grab a reflective target or instantly grab the biggest target available.

Which meant you could range a deer 5 times at 1000 yards and get back several instant readings that don’t match up. The reticle was bigger and the beam was larger so it would grab whatever was easiest at that distance first. You had to learn which location within the reticle the beam was most accurate. For this sig I held the target in the upper right portion of the large reticle to be most accurate

Leica was easier to pick up smaller targets. It had a smaller reticle but also has a smaller beam. So easier to pick up a small target vs the background

To range some smaller targets that the Leica would pick up I had to use scan mode in the sig

This was 5 years ago. Not sure if things have changed since then.

I just got a Sig 2200 BDX on eBay for $225. Haven’t had a chance to use it much yet but it’s very fast at ranging and the ability to Bluetooth to the phone for ballistics out to 800 is pretty sweet too.

I run a Nikon 4K black. I have no complaints with it. Seems to be very solid for the money.

For the range the OP is looking at, the Nikon Black will work very well. I have one and it will range off hillside grass out to about 1200 yards. That said, I love my Sig 3000 binos, which get to the ~2500 yard range off of grass and much longer off reflective targets. The black color was going for about $800-$850 around Black Friday.

Buy once...

Reactions: Average guy
For the range the OP is looking at, the Nikon Black will work very well. I have one and it will range off hillside grass out to about 1200 yards. That said, I love my Sig 3000 binos, which get to the ~2500 yard range off of grass and much longer off reflective targets. The black color was going for about $800-$850 around Black Friday.

Buy once...
I sold my Nikon Black but it was badass. I have the 3000 binos and have found the “sweet spot” on the reticle. Once you find it it’s very accurate and consistent. Love those. Shocked at how good the glass is after all the smack talkers. I have the Nikon 7i and it’s as good as the Black but doesn’t range as far. I suspect similar guts. I know the “ID” technology is the same for angle compensation.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got some shopping and considering to do.

Looking to add a Range Finder to my range bag and wanted to see what the Hide Recommends in my price range/needs.

Use would be primarily for shooting steel on the UKD range with the occasional match and hunting trip.
I have access to a 1 mile range, but realistically max range would be 1000 yards, with most of it being 6-800yds.
Budget would be under $500, ideally $3-400.

Cabela's has the Nikon Monarch 3000 on sale for $320, but there's not a lot of reviews/experience that I can find.

What says the Hide?
I have a Vortex Ranger 1800. Its around $350 and I like it very much.