• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Range Finders?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Leica vs. Zeiss vs. Swarovski? Which one and why? Any others? I would like to spend less than $800

Re: Range Finders?

Picked up my Leica LRF 1200 for like 400 i think here... very nice, accurate with everyone elses... David K has a Swaro, glass is nicer, ranges further but it is also 2x as much...

There ya go...

And dont forget to get extra laser gas for refilling the flux capacitor !

I have the Leica CRF1200. It is compact and accurate out to the advertised 1200yrds. Great glass. Best value out to 1200 yrds in my opinion.
YMMV-Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leica vs. Zeiss vs. Swarovski? Which one and why? Any others? I would like to spend less than $800 </div></div>

No experiance with the Zeiss.

The Leica I have an others I have seen, will not keep up with a Swarovski side by side, in fog or rain.

I have a Swaro and my shooting partner has a Leica 1200- under idea conditions and when we stay inside 1000-1100yrds the leica works great and is a great bang for the buck. Like others have stated when the conditions slide south or ranges go farther the Swaro stands alone and leaves my buddy wishing he had spend the extra cash.
I will give props to Leica as I find their smaller reticle easier to use.

Hell, my friends Leica 1200 has a hard time keeping up with my Bushnell Elite 1500 at anything over 1K yards.

I have the swaro laserguide and it was well worth the extra couple hundred dollars. Very nice peice of glass and ranges accurately every single time out to about 1300yrds. Very repaetable and you can prob find a used one in great shape for less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up my Leica LRF 1200 for like 400 i think here... very nice, accurate with everyone elses... David K has a Swaro, glass is nicer, ranges further but it is also 2x as much...

There ya go...

And dont forget to get extra laser gas for refilling the flux capacitor ! </div></div>

I've read good things about this rangefinder but haven't been able to find one under 500 yet. How far would out can you "easily" range a man sized object?

I own a Swaro and love it. I've hit targets at almost 1900yds on multiple occasions. The only downside is the size of the reticle and corresponding beam divergence. The Zeiss has a slightly smaller beam, but I don't have any experience with it in the field yet.

While it's in a different price point, I have a Legend 1200 here for review.

Anyone want to send me a Leica or Swaro for comparison?
wink.gif

Smokin' - I have a Zeiss Victory. Got a good price from Eurosport. I think it it hangs in there with the other quality rangefinders. It is quick to display the range, and the built-in bullet drop tables are good enough for hunting out to 500 yards. Performance depends upon the object's reflectivity. It was not able to range a black sheet of fiberboard at 1000 yards, but neither could my friend's Swaro on that day. It can range a small scrap of white paper or a rock at that range. It ranged some black cows at 750 yards. Buildings at 1250 yds.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a Swaro and love it. I've hit targets at almost 1900yds on multiple occasions. The only downside is the size of the reticle and corresponding beam divergence. The Zeiss has a slightly smaller beam... </div></div>

I've read this countless times on this site. I've never seen it refuted, but from my research it's wrong. Will someone please set the record straight once and for all. Here's what I've found:

Beam Divergence:
Swaro : Approx. 2x2 mrad (seen 2.5x2.5, as well)
Zeiss : 4x2 mrad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it's in a different price point, I have a Legend 1200 here for review.

Anyone want to send me a Leica or Swaro for comparison?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Cover shipping/insurance both ways and I'll package up (3) LRF's for you to do a review. Bushnell elite 1500 w/ARC, Leica 1200 CRF, and a Swaro. If you don't want to use the Bushnell I could send the Leica and Swaro.

LoneWolfUSMC, PM me if you're interested.

Mike

P.S, Swaro owns them all.

I ranged a white barn a few years back in the summer evening with my truck. While getting readings, I kept driving backwards to see how far the Swaro would read. The Swaro wouldn't range any further then 1,999yds. I was very impressed!

I have personally discussed this with Swaro people and Zeiss people at SHOT & NRA shows. Zeiss beam divergence is slightly smaller. I can't recall numbers off the top of my head, though I think I posted it here a while back.

Found it.....

"Talked to Zeiss at the NRA convention. They apparently have the smallest beam divergence of any of the civilian hand-helds at 1.5 mils by 0.5 mils. The Swaro & Leica are around 2.2 by 0.5 mils."

All info came directly from representatives of each company. The Swaro folks had to contact the appropriate tech guy to get me the info, but he knew right away once I got to talk to him.

for the Leica, is there no longer a SCAN model? I see on their website there is a 1200 CRF and there used to be a 1200 SCAN. Am I missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leica vs. Zeiss vs. Swarovski? Which one and why? Any others? I would like to spend less than $800 </div></div>

Leica Vector 1500N

I have had my Swaro for about 2 years. I have picked up targets beyond 1800 yards. Glass is excellent and ability to work at long ranges is nice. I bought mine as a return at the Basspro outlet for $519. I see them in there about once a month. Next time I see one I will post it. I believe you can buy from them over the phone. -brandon

have been trying to decide the same thing , i just bought a swaro from gr8fuldoug ,@ camerlandny.com i cant wait till it arrives.
my buddy had a leica 1200 and a loupy rx iv 1500 we both agreed they just couldnt cut it beyond about 750-850 yds. we tried new batteries , different days . we also got the chace to use the swaro for a weekend, were very impressed with it . we got several readings over 2k hand held .
i have just looked at and handled the zeiss , but like the swaro shape and glass better . my .02

got a set of burris rangefinder work better than my leica but the glass looks like the end of a coke bottle and they had trash inside them sent them back still had trash in side

I agree with 264. My swaro LG is very reliable at long distances. I hit a building at 1387 yards 3 times in a row. I then took 5 steps further back and got 1392 3 times in a row. Went back to my original spot and again got 1387. WOW that was impressive.

According to Zeiss specs the PRF has the widest beam there is 2,5*4 mrad. That is way too big. You could fit multiple compact cars in the beam at thousand yards.

Whether that product spec is true or not I do not know but I read it on the Zeiss www-site.

I think it boils down to Leica CRF 1200 or the Swaro. Swaros reticle is too big but otherh than that it should be pretty good. Also the older Leica 1200 Scan should be ok too.

The PRF does have one of the biggest beams. The Victory RF has one of the smallest. Just looking at the new Leicas. The beam on them is just as small as the Zeiss RF's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PRF does have one of the biggest beams. The Victory RF has one of the smallest. Just looking at the new Leicas. The beam on them is just as small as the Zeiss RF's. </div></div>

I wasnt able to find the specs on Zeiss's website, but arent the PRF and the Victory one and the same?

We love the Zeiss PRF. I've personally ranged a hay shed with it to 1400+ yards, without using a rest. It's light, simple, easy to use, GREAT optics, great reticle, fast, less money than the Swav. Most importantly, the feedback from customers has been 100% outstanding. For at least $200 less than a Swav.

It's the best all-round.

My .02.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found it.....

"Talked to Zeiss at the NRA convention. They apparently have the smallest beam divergence of any of the civilian hand-helds at 1.5 mils by 0.5 mils. The Swaro & Leica are around 2.2 by 0.5 mils."

All info came directly from representatives of each company. The Swaro folks had to contact the appropriate tech guy to get me the info, but he knew right away once I got to talk to him.

</div></div>

That is the beam divergence for the 10x45 RF Binocular from Zeiss. The PRF handheld is 2x4 mRad.

I just called Cameraland since I didnt see the $549 price on their website. I also asked about the Zeiss beam divergence. Im going to call Zeiss tomorrow to get the spec and I'll post what I find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PullinTriggers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found it.....

</div></div>

That is the beam divergence for the 10x45 RF Binocular from Zeiss. The PRF handheld is 2x4 mRad. </div></div>

I just called Zeiss and was told 0.5 x1.5 mRad as well. Where are you getting the 2x4 mRad?

EDIT: Called back and it is 2x4 mRad. Rules out this platform for me. Thats a big beam. Its Swaro or Leica for me.

I personally own the Zeiss PRF and like it very much. This spring I shot prairie dogs with my best friend who owns the Lieca CRF 1200. All said and done, we had the same performance from both except the PRF was slightly faster to get a reading. I guess I fail to see where the beam divergence has anything to do with performance if I can repeatedly range items past the 1300 yard mark. I'm not saying we ranged dogs out that far, max was about 5-600yds, but we were hitting horse trailers, buildings, etc out past 1300.

Pick up a Lecia 900 scan used for great price. ranges out to 1k, needs fresh battery to range correctly, in low light after sunset will range on reflective targets like a house out to 800y. In daylight will not range on some landscapes but does on others. And if you buy used the factory wants the warranty card for any repairs.

Somewhere I've read the binocular/rangefinder have the smaller beam and the monocular has the larger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PullinTriggers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greentimber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found it.....

</div></div>

That is the beam divergence for the 10x45 RF Binocular from Zeiss. The PRF handheld is 2x4 mRad. </div></div>

I just called Zeiss and was told 0.5 x1.5 mRad as well. Where are you getting the 2x4 mRad?

EDIT: Called back and it is 2x4 mRad. Rules out this platform for me. Thats a big beam. Its Swaro or Leica for me. </div></div>

This is kind of like the "Which truck should I buy?" argument.

I have an old Leica LRF 1200 - have ranged out to 1237 against a tree.

It works and can be had for about $350 for this model, it works always....bad weather or not, if I cansee it then I get a good ranging.

I don't think I've ever used it, should consider selling it...

I like the technology but I"m also old school...

+1 for the Swaro. I had an old model Leica 1200 scan and it worked pretty well, but the 9volt batteries didn't last long, and the battery connector broke. I had to send it back to Leica, who fixed for about 50 bucks. During the downtime, I bought a Bushnell 1500 elite, which I hated because it couldn't range small targets at longer ranges and had problem trees and bushes affecting the reading. Sold both, bought the Swaro, and I have been happy ever since. The Swaro uses longer lasting, non-corroding Lithium batteries.

James

+1 on the Leica for hunting applications. I also bow hunt, and the smaller size is very nice and doesn't interfere with my draw.

with my lecia 900 I don't always get reading on landscapes or even buildings which I know are well within 900 yds. Hard to tell why since it will range on some landscapes to 1k.

I have had a Leica LRF 1200. Was very impressed with it. My needs didnt require use beyond 1K. I recently added a 338LM to the collection and now want something that will work further out. I traded up to a Zeiss PRF with Scott. Should have it Friday. will post a review this weekend.