• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range finders

trigger03

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2011
south texas
Im looking to upgrade to a better laser range finder for some upcoming matches. what im looking for from my fellow shooters is any info on which LRF would be best that is similar to the Leica 1600 or zeiss units. I dont want to break the bank but which unit can get target distance return from 1200 yds off of steel shooting plates. I ve used a Nikon Monarch Gold unit with good results but i know i could do better. Thanks for any help my friends.

Used a Leica 1600B on 2 objects, 9x9 steel and 12x24 steel hanging from chain at the top of a small hill. Thus, no interference from the background. Ranged to 610 on the 9x9, 850 on the 12x24. Then hit both with a Terrapin from 1000 easily.

Using on a different range, 1500 + with the Terrapin on a 18x24 plate. Seems that with the Terrapin, if you can hold it steady, ie, tripod, or braced, it will range the target, regardless of what it is...

YMMV

Rule of thumb seems to be $1 per yard

$700 Leica = 700 yds =/-
$2K Terrapin = 2K +

funny but true, as the Vortex RRF 101 worked to about 386 yards for me and was $390!

Ranged a water tower yesterday at 2215 yards with the plrf-10. Easy as click,....2215. Ranged twice more and got 2214 and 2215 again. Flat out amazing.

Yeah, Vectronix are amazing. I carry a terrapin on a leica depending on area, rifle carried, and weight/size

Holding the terrapins still is the key as MH said. I ranged a cell phone tower at a little over 3200 although it was pretty dark. Still, if you are ranging non-reflective targets to me that is where the terrapin shines over other RFs.

Unless you have something amazing you will always be upgrading to something better. You will lose money and time. With that being said, if you have the money to spend then spend it and you'll be happy for years, maybe even a lifetime. I have a Terrapin and unless I learn to shoot out to 2500 yards I can't see myself ever getting something different....that is unless somebody invents a RF that cooks me breakfast and gives me road head.

Great info my friends. I'll look into those units. Been reading a lot and you all are right on par. Thanks again

I've got a leica 1600. It works as advertised. I had Bushnell 1600 and I could not read the display. It was blurry to my eyes, and the lens is not adjustable, so I sent it back and got the Leica. I'm never going to drop $3k+ on a LRF. Just not going to happen, so the Leica meets my needs well.

I've got a leica 1600. It works as advertised. I had Bushnell 1600 and I could not read the display. It was blurry to my eyes, and the lens is not adjustable, so I sent it back and got the Leica. I'm never going to drop $3k+ on a LRF. Just not going to happen, so the Leica meets my needs well.

Agree. I ranged a Cell tower at 960 yards, so the capability is there.

On the other hand, I don't see myself taking a shot of 700 yards on any game animal. Either I'll get closer, or wait for a better shot. That's just me. So for my needs the Leica is a winner.

This is clearly ONLY my opinion based on the fact that I have run mostly low end range finders and given the current capabilities of a $260 bushnell g-force or a $400 bushnell 1600...........there is no need to spend more unless your reaching past 1200. Rocks,brush,trees,dear, grassy hillside, barren dirt hillside out to 1100 instantly and 1200+ in a couple seconds easily from a rest.
I have to add that this is canyon country and if your in the flats beam divergence and all that other crap comes in to play for small low contrast targets and can change many factors in regards to range finder capabilities.
I actually have read many concerned and critical reviews of the red readout bushnell currently uses but I find it much more desirable than the typical black read out in my older ones.
Don't get me wrong, If you can justify it in your budget: get the best you can find, but the dollar per yard concept is not reality in my terrain or experience.
May be true for 2k yards but does not hold water out to 1200.

I had a a Leica 1600 that could range a little over 1100 yards. I had a problem with 1200 yards.
Switched to a Terrapin sand sold the 1600. The Terrapin is absolutely remarkable and can easily range further than its specs. If you can afford the Terrapin you would be using it forever.. It's built like a tank.

Zeiss is a good unit. I just sold mine today because I upgraded to the Terrapin. Truth be told I only upgraded out of fear that I would not have the opportunity to own one in the future since Vectronix is discontinuing that line. My Zeiss would measure a warning traffic sign consistently at a mile.

I labored over the Leica vs Terrapin for a long time. It came down to whether the $1200 difference was for something I really needed...it wasn't, since I'm not going to be shooting anything past 800 yards. Also on the plus side, the Leica 1600b is a lot more compact and provides inclination,temp and pressure read out as well as ballistics, if you want. I'm happy with my choice.
Skip

Since the T-pin and the Swaro have both been dropped its more market share for Leica once the other units are gone.
For the ranging and type of shooting I do the Swaro hits the nail on the head.

I just ordered a Leica 1600B from EuroOptic. I really hope I'm not disappointed. I did my research, and from what I could tell, the Leica was the best at the $800 price point. I'm in the same boat as you, I'll never spend $3000 on a LRF.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

for what its worth,
I needed a range finder for rock /steel bashing out to 1k and hunting vermin(fox,rabbit,goats) and game (deer) out to 600.I also needed to be carrying a pair of binos for spotting the animals(finding the rocks and making sure no hillwalkers camped on the hillsides!!) so I decided to combine them in one unit and bought the leica geovid 10*42.Overall Im very happy as they cut down on the gear Im carrying but I would prefer if the laser was a little stronger.Mist/rain defeats it easily as does bright sunny weather.That said It ranges no problems on an average day on rocks,bushes,trees deer out to 1k.I would have liked a terrapin even though I wont shoot out to its full ranges but then id be carrying that and binos up the mountains.

+1 for the Leica 1600B. I got rid of my Ziess for the Leica. It's got a much tighter beam and it's very accurate out to 1647 which is the farthest I've used it yet

I had issues with the Leica ranging on bright sunny days. Last year I was out prairie dog hunting and had issues with it ranging over 600 yards. It was a great rangefinder for hunting, but just didn't cut it for long range shooting. I upgraded to a Terrapin, and couldn't be happier with it.

I think your best bang for buck, bar none, is the Bushnell Elite ARC line. They make a monocular version of the 1 Mile laser now that I believe is around the 500 dollar mark. If you want to step up into the 750ish range then the Leica's are supposedly a great buy. If you want the best, buy Vectronix.

I got a Vectronix from Mile High and couldn't be happier. If I had to get another one and Vetronix was not in the choice set I would prob got Leica.

I have the Zeiss...it gets out to about 1000 accurately. It does not fit conveniently into my pack as it is slightly larger than its competitors.
I've used the Leica 1600 and I wish I had one.

While getting my initial set-up, I had to set a budget (as per the banker, read wife) for optics...scope, spotting scope and rangefinder. I prioritized and thought that the rifle scope was the most important and therefore it got the better half of the budget. The remaining amount went for a spotter and RF, which I basically split. Ended getting a Vortex HD spotting scope and the Leica 1600B RF. For what I got, they do a great job and I have absolutely no complaints. When funds allow, I'll probably upgrade to a Razor and a Terrapin but for now, the Leica 1600B does everything I need at an affordable price.

I just got a pair of the Leica 10 X 42 Geovid B rangfinding binos. they are amazing so far! I ranged a hillside at just over 1730 yds. had the Swarovski EL range, they were great but these seem faster and they range further consistently. They also read air temp, barometric pressure,and angle. They are spendy, like all good glass.

Last edited:
I picked up a G7 a few weeks back, got a few uses out of it, longest so far is 1400y, and the ballistics seem to be on as well.

Does any place still have Terrapins? Please PM if you know a place or have one! Thanks.

I paid $250 for a like new Leica LRF1200. I mostly use it for hunting. It would be hard ranging a steel plate at over 800 yards without a tripod. I'd think range finding binos would be the way to go. Something with magnification.