• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Finding Tech: Clip on Attachment. Could it exist?

PFG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Texas
Stand alone RF vs RF binos - a debate that I continue to have with myself, and I'm sure others do as well.

Is there a chance that we might see the technology of RF advance to the point of an RF Clip-On?

Example: The RF attachment clips on to side of binos. A retractable lens slides over one barrel of the binocular. Through that lens, you can see and use the RF clip up.

Thoughts?

Seems like the potential to retrofit any bino to an RF capable optic, without having to own a true RF binocular. Does RF tech allow for this?

Very cool.

So who's going to bring out a universal piece, that can fit on any scope objective. Or an add on for Binos.

Caveat: I am not an engineer, just a semi-educated user.

I would think that bolt-on units like this would have to be designed to work with a specific optic, or at least optics with very comparable performance/specs in order to be visible through the existing lens structure.

Caveat: I am not an engineer, just a semi-educated user.

I would think that bolt-on units like this would have to be designed to work with a specific optic, or at least optics with very comparable performance/specs in order to be visible through the existing lens structure.

I think so too, which makes me think the bino market may be more suited to a saddle on RF

Stand alone RF vs RF binos - a debate that I continue to have with myself, and I'm sure others do as well.

Is there a chance that we might see the technology of RF advance to the point of an RF Clip-On?

Example: The RF attachment clips on to side of binos. A retractable lens slides over one barrel of the binocular. Through that lens, you can see and use the RF clip up.

Thoughts?

Seems like the potential to retrofit any bino to an RF capable optic, without having to own a true RF binocular. Does RF tech allow for this?

Wilcox RAPTAR S is what your describing. They are one of the best and mount on LRF bridges. What you really want doesn't exist because there needs to be a transmitter and a receiver. The cost to develop and manufacturer, might as well make it a whole 7x or 10x bino at minimum as well. That's probably why not around. There are as few LRF with digital output but they are 4-5k+

Sig has what you want they call it the Kilo 3000 they did it so well they were able to actually to put the LRF into one side of the barrel of the bino. Wouldn't even know it was a LRF except for the buttons on top which they were also able to incorporate very well when you look through them and hit the button the numbers just magically appear like a heads up display no need for some lens to slide over the front lens of the bino Sig was so smart they put all the tech inside the bino WHERE IT BELONGS........LOL

Reactions: Curt193
Sig has what you want they call it the Kilo 3000 they did it so well they were able to actually to put the LRF into one side of the barrel of the bino. Wouldn't even know it was a LRF except for the buttons on top which they were also able to incorporate very well when you look through them and hit the button the numbers just magically appear like a heads up display no need for some lens to slide over the front lens of the bino Sig was so smart they put all the tech inside the bino WHERE IT BELONGS........LOL

No locking diopter
Non alpha glass
Pass

Perfect is the enemy of good.

I don’t disagree with that. But if Sig wants hunters to use these, they have to offer locking diopters. Fine for PRS or casual shooting, but if I’m pulling them in and out of a chest case, letting them dangle while I move/hike/position...I want them in focus when I bring them up.

Yes yes I can do witness marks.
Yes I could use tape.
But the best solution is for Sig to improve the product.