• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range-Hunting rifle Bdl or detachable mag

adb77

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
Building a range / hunting rifle, and I'm down to this....I can't make up my mind which way to go. They both seem to have advantages, and disadvantages. Tell me what you think along with suggestions of which particular system you suggest. I plan to load 212eldx in a 300wm

When I htink of range I think of static shooting with all your gear laid out nicely within reach. When Im doing that I just single load laying them on top. When Im hunting since this is a large caliber I think youre going for deer or something that you wont be blowing through shot after shot. For both of those you wont really gain anything with a dbm.

If thats not the case and you range is running around and youll be pig hunting where youre trying to blast as many as possible then the dbm will be appreciated.

I definitely could be hunting everything from pigs to elk to deer to coyotes. So there could be a situation where I wished I had dbm, is there a potential situation where I wished I had Bdl floorplate?

Go DBM, why limit yourself on ammo? If you feel the mag holds too much then load it up with 3 or 4 like a floor plate.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Since everyone listed pros for DBM I figured I'd list some for BDL. BDL is cheaper, lighter and should allow you to load longer.

For a range/hunting rifle DBM makes a lot of sense.

Short of running into a OAL issue in a mag, I honestly can't think of a reason to stay with BDL other than cost to switch it over.

Reactions: carbonbased
Short of running into a OAL issue in a mag, I honestly can't think of a reason to stay with BDL other than cost to switch it over.

Until your magazine drops out while cutting brush crossing to the next ridge that is. Unlikely, but not a good thing if it happens.

A protruding magazine also makes a hunting rifle a bit more difficult to carry or handle in the field. You will be doing a lot more carrying than shooting.

Reactions: Gar. and krumfola
Until your magazine drops out while cutting brush crossing to the next ridge that is. Unlikely, but not a good thing if it happens.

A protruding magazine also makes a hunting rifle a bit more difficult to carry or handle in the field. You will be doing a lot more carrying than shooting.
Those are both reasons I have been going back and forth on this. While I've never had my mag drop out it is less comfortable to carry. The flush fit mags Curtis custom makes should help with this some although they protrude slightly. I had a Savage 338fcp I carried for a few years and the mag system on it was horribly loud, and rattled easily. I have no experience with any other dbm systems but can only assume they are similar.

I went through exactly the dilemma you're now facing. I'm much more hunting oriented than range oriented (I make my living from hunting and game management) but I'm really getting back into shooting at our range. So, I was really looking for 'the best of both worlds.' I feel like I found it American Precision Arms' RTG/SA bottom metal. Is pretty darn light and will accept both AI & AW mags, including the Curtis 3 round that sits flush. This bottom metal doesn't have a magwell so it's not going to be optimal for a PRS shooter but it allows me to run magazines at the range or when I'm hunting predators for one of the ranches I shoot for. If I go on a mule deer hunt, I can take a 3-round Curtis magazine or even single feed them if I need to, with a Bob Sled. You can probably have a chamber designed around shooting a magazine friendly load.

This solution is not the 'best' one if you're trying to build a ultralight sheep rifle and it's not the best solution if you're a PRS competitor. It is, however, a pretty great solution if you want to 'have it all' in one rifle. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stand hinged floor plates.

DBM is a killer move and is where I like to be if not a blind mag.

SouthTXBowhunter raises a good point of versatility. Despite having advocated for the BDL previously, I went DBM myself. In addition to Curtis you might look into https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-pr...-bdl-only.html

It is a direct replacement to the BDL without inletting, doesn't rattle around and the same bottom metal takes mags for most bolt faces. It would work with PRS and hunting applications due to their wide range of mags. Below is a 300WM 3 round mag on a 28 ounce Mcmillan Game Scout. I like that the release is inside the trigger guard making it less likely to fall out, though Curtis is designed similarly. If you notice on Curtis' website, both the Curtis and HS Precision are not flush mounts for the 300 mag. Both stick down about half an inch.

Attachments

• photo49275.jpg
    photo49275.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 52
  • photo49276.jpg
    photo49276.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
It's a personal preference and I hate it. i went bdl on my hunting build since i carry my rifle from under the action while in hand and the dbm gets in the way. It seams to snags the cloths more and always pokes you with a sharp corner while using the sling. And one more thing to lose.

Fair enough. I guess having lugged an M4 over and through some miserable-assed terrain every day without ever once accidentally dropping a mag I didn't consider that point. Nor did a 30rd mag ever cause me undue problems carrying it.

I certainly respect the purity of the BDL, and DBM isn't necessarily worth it to everyone. As much as anything I enjoy immediate control over my ammo supply, whether it's to load or unload. Fumbling around with loose rounds in the dark with cold wet frozen hands sucks.

I mean my comments with all respect. What works for one of us isn't the solution for everyone. I've never liked the BDL setup, my very first deer rifle 30+yrs ago was a 788 with DBM. sticking with BDL is cheap, and you can always switch it over at some point if you feel the need.

Fair enough. I guess having lugged an M4 over and through some miserable-assed terrain every day without ever once accidentally dropping a mag I didn't consider that point. Nor did a 30rd mag ever cause me undue problems carrying it.

I certainly respect the purity of the BDL, and DBM isn't necessarily worth it to everyone. As much as anything I enjoy immediate control over my ammo supply, whether it's to load or unload. Fumbling around with loose rounds in the dark with cold wet frozen hands sucks.

I mean my comments with all respect. What works for one of us isn't the solution for everyone. I've never liked the BDL setup, my very first deer rifle 30+yrs ago was a 788 with DBM. sticking with BDL is cheap, and you can always switch it over at some point if you feel the need.

Very well said.

Handling loose rounds crossing fences can get old very quickly.

For me it comes down to how the rifle is to be used and personal preference.

My elk and antelope rifles are all BDL. More carrying than shooting and unlikely to need many rounds although I carry one extra in each pocket. These rifles frequently live in scabbards on horses which are designed for BDL rifles.

Rifles I use mostly on the range or for prairie dogs, coyote or wolves run magazines.

Our local range here in Wyoming is used by outfitters, serious hunters and those firing AR's. Can't remember the last time I saw a magazine in a rifle other than an AR.

Good to understand the trade offs.

Good luck.

The dbm with the Curtis 3 rounder is what I'm gonna go with. This rifle will be used anywhere from pigs in Texas, white tails in Arkansas, Elk in Colorado, hopefully a wolf in Idaho. With quite a bit of range time in between. How are the Magpul aics pattern working out, anybody have experience with these?

My elk and antelope rifles are all BDL. ...

Rifles I use mostly on the range or for prairie dogs, coyote or wolves run magazines.

This is the same for me. My hunting rifles all have hinged floorplates. Prairie dog rifles and range toys get DBM. I don't have any ADL style rifles. I don't like blind magazines at all, I want access to the magazine well to clear a jam should one happen.

For hunting rifles I want everything attached to the rifle. I'd be worried about losing a DBM magazine in the middle of nowhere at the worst time and they interfere with carrying the rifle by the way they stick down.

This is the same for me. My hunting rifles all have hinged floorplates. Prairie dog rifles and range toys get DBM. I don't have any ADL style rifles. I don't like blind magazines at all, I want access to the magazine well to clear a jam should one happen.

For hunting rifles I want everything attached to the rifle. I'd be worried about losing a DBM magazine in the middle of nowhere at the worst time and they interfere with carrying the rifle by the way they stick down.

Left side flush cups. I don't run anything without DBM anymore.

I ran internal mags for years and switching to a dbm has been one of the best upgrades I've made. Easier to load/unload with gloved hands and has been 100% reliable. I wouldn't change back.