• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range in Northern Virginia area

144:1

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2011
Northern Virginia
I’m currently juggling the idea of opening a fairly good size indoor range in Northern Virginia. I was thinking of 100 meter rifle and up to 30-40 meter pistol, 2 sides. The ranges around here, unless you are a member, are usually packed any day of the week and a solid 30 minute wait, or longer in some cases, is the norm for non-members. Now I know I can’t have a 100 lane range that would be outrageous, however I think I can bring a good facility to the table, 15-20 lanes on each side, rotating targets, etc. It’s going to cost a fair amount of money, I’m sure at least a million dollars or more for land, and the building of the facility, or already standing warehouse. Plus more for the permits start up costs, liability insurance, etc. I just wanted to get a feel from those who live in the DC, MD, and Northern VA area, about what they thought of having another range available to them. Also I am very open to input from others who own ranges or work at them.

I apologies if this is the wrong forum. I am not trying to solicit but rather trying to get opinions and ideas. Thanks!!

Re: Range in Northern Virginia area

Sounds like a great idea.

What area are you thinking of because anywhere inside that 50 mile ring of DC is going to cost you a ton for the property!!

The land will be cheap compared to the cost of the HVAC system for a range that large. With all the issues with lead, it will cost 2 fortunes just for that. One million will not even be a drop in the bucket.

Local LE contracts for use would be very lucrative if you can afford to get it up and running.

Know some guys who are working on a a 25M indoor range 10-15 lanes in the Fredericksburg area and their estimated costs were over one million easy.

Everyone is pretty much going to the Savage snail drum systems now for bullet capture.

BH

Open it and they will come.
smile.gif

I say run the numbers and go for it, Ghad. I live in Montgomery County, MD and here you have to have a membership to go to a range. That wouldn't be bad if I didn't have to shoot their overpriced ammunition as well. No reloaded ammunition allowed, thus the price to shoot just skyrocketed.

I've run into the exact same issues that you have trying to find a good place to shoot in northern Virginia as well. I drive 30 minutes to Chantilly just to wait over an hour for a lane. It drives me crazy.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on opening on in either Fairfax, Prince William, or Loudoun County in Virginia. It all depends on where I can get the authorization and permits to build, of course money will also play a factor since Im not independantly wealthy and will need investors once Im ready to start the process.

There were (when I was stationed in the DC area) few good options to shoot in the Fairfax County area.

Blue Ridge was nearly always packed, and Clark's in Warrenton was way the heck out there. I never shot at the NRA Headquarters range, and my opportunities to shoot at Quantico were limited to weekends. You'll note that even many of the fed units have to traverse distances to share facilities.

Land will be expensive, and I'm not sure what kind of permit hassles you're going to run into (especially for noise).

Fauquier and Loudon counties were good rural areas for shooting. You can probably build a good baffled outdoor range (like many European towns, villages, and cities) and have more business than you can shake a stick at. The downside is you'll have jackasses shooting up your timber posts.

Good luck -- there are never enough (nice) places to shoot.

backstop2.jpg

baffle1.jpg

Exelon-Station.jpg

Horton.jpg

Check the local Izaak Walton clubs. There is one off 610 in Garronsville and one off Rt3 in F'burg.

Membership is very reasonable and annual dues to the Fburg is $65. Each club is different due to land availability.

Some have skeet, trap and 200 yd ranges, others are limited to 100 yd and pistol ranges.

BH

Think again about Fauquier. The range I go to had to jump backwards through hoops just to be allowed to start up. The county is not very interested in more gun ranges from what I gathered from the board of supervisors meeting notes.

Yea I think Fauquier is a little bit to far away from the region/area I want to propose a new build in. Thanks for the information. I need as much as possible and more brains to pick!!!!