• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Layout and Design

Astrohog

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2012
Constableville, NY
Any ideas on how to setup a 800+ yd range.

I was thinking of getting:
12" for ~800 yds
8" ~600 yds
5" ~300yds
3.5" square for ~100-300 yds.

Build a racks and hang them with chains. Probably would get a couple pepper poppers to put at different ranges. What do you guys think?

Levi

One of our buddies found some old fire hose, and we use it instead of chains now. It saves us a lot of repairs. We were welding broken chains back together too often

I use 7' t-posts upright with one 6' for horizontal, tubular webbing with grade 8 bolts and s hooks on the back side. Most carrige bolts are 2 piece and will seperate, some button head cap screw style are machined and work very well. Heavy conveyor belting is great but hard to cut and drill, the best result I have had is with a jigsaw. I have ISPC size, 10"x10" and 4"x4" out to 400yds then ISPC and 10"x10" to 1000yds, mil style at 1100, 1200 with a 29"x36" at 1760yds.
Going to get some triangle 5"x5"x5" for 100-500.
Firehose works great, it does get old nearly as fast as webbing.

Agree on the chain issue. You will shoot it invariably. And try some variability in target size. MOA targets and some more generous than this.

Conveyor belt cuts well with a "NEW" Utility knife blade. Key is to put tension on the belt as you cut. You cut along a straight edge at first, then bend the belting along the score, and it will cut quite well. Rubber under tension always cuts easier.

We went with chain to and its not optimal. We are going to use rebar with a tab welded to the bottom to bolt the targets to and pipe on the top to let them swing . I also learned that 1/2" mild steel isn't good enough. The targets were trashed in a hurry. Live and learn.

I cut the sidewalls out of a few old tires and used the tread to hang my targets. You can shoot em a hundred times and not even barely see it. Very weather resistant, flexible and will outlast your steel. I would consider going with at least 2 MOA targets, and then just painting a smaller target zone. That way you can readily see where your round is landing even if it is not a bulls eye.

I use the same size plates that are used in WTRC (10"x10"), so this year one of the courses will be NO rangefinder's. Training yourself to range useing the mil or tmr is useful in a hunting application as well.