• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range of 5.56

Dunraven

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
Have heard a fellow shooter say he was considering using his AR-15 in 5.56, in a prs type match. My Strelok app shows mine going transonic at around 630 yards. Aside from windage issues, what is a realistic maximum range for the caliber? (69gr Nosler bullet, 23gr AR Comp powder, 1:8 20 inch barrel). Have shot mine at 984 yds, but can't say there was any kind of a group or consistency.

Last edited:
What velocity are you running? I’m supper sonic out of a 16” to 800 yards with 77 grain custom comps and they aren’t loaded all that hot.

Still probably wouldn’t even make it to my rifles to consider for PRS though.

velocity at 2600, trajectory validated. stopped there since it shot .4 group. A Wisconsin prs match goes out to 850. Would that be too much to expect?

velocity around 2600, trajectory validated. (bullet is actually 69gr)
Yeah, 69s don’t fly nearly as well. My 77s are at 2530 and according to the AB app have a lot more miles to go than 69s at 2600.

velocity at 2600, trajectory validated. stopped there since it shot .4 group. A Wisconsin prs match goes out to 850. Would that be too much to expect?

It’s a long poke but possible. Wouldn’t plan to be competitive.

that's what I figured. am not particularly competitive anyway!

My 12.5in does 2600fps with 77gr Tipped Match Kings loaded to mag length and 5.56 pressures.

A 20in should be around 2800fps with the same load. The 73gr ELDM and 70gr RDF are also excellent choices here. All three will get you to right around 1k transonic from a 20in barrel.

That's slow for a 69, you should be able to get about 2800+ out of you 20in barrel. Maybe even really close to 2900.

77s and similar in class bullets can do a lot more than most people give them credit for.

Wind will be the killer. I shoot matches at my local range with 77 is a 20in barrel AR. Longest shot is about 750 yards. It gets tricky past 600 with the wind. It's possible however there are better alternatives. E.g. 224 Valkyrie.

Or, single load 80s if time allows on the stage.

probably have to stay with the 6 or 6.5. just thought it could be a fun challenge.

It's a lot of fun shooting a 223. People are constantly amazed at what the cartridge can do.

Spotting missed shots is rough, won't lie about that. However with the minimal recoil, it's usually possible to follow the bullet trace to impact.

You're going to be at a disadvantage running a gasser at a bolt match any way you slice it, but a 556 gas shooting 69's is definitely going to do worse. 69's fall on their face hard. I could see a good shooter with a good rifle and load (not 69gr) finishing in the top half as long as most of the targets are inside 600.

There's a gas gun class too now but if you go and place 110th overall and 1st in the class you still placed 110th over all and probably aren't going to be very happy of your decision at the end of the day,

Just remember that shooting a 223 caliber in a match isn't just the shooter. The spotters are really going to have to be on the ball as well. Your hits are going to be difficult for them to spot as well at longer ranges. Don't be surprised and to hard on them if you think you hit the target but they think you didn't.

IIRC 23.8gr of 8208 gets 77's going around 2600 in my 13.7". 2670ish in a 16". Never chrono'd the 14.5 barrels but I could guess pretty close.

Reactions: Jsp556
LC brass with minimal prep, CCI450's or 400's depending on what I have more of. They shoot the same, but 400's are thin enough that they flatten even with lighter loads so I pefer the 450's.

Sweet, thanks TTT. Have about 1000 LC cases and two 500 ct boxes of 77 smks. will be starting load development for my mod H soon. Have some Tac; will also pick up a lb of 8208 to try out.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I liked TAC speed but I never got the same accuracy out of it that 8208 gets.

Reactions: nn8734
I’m surprised at the low velocity with 23.0 grains of AR-comp. I ran the same charge and bullet out of an 18” gun and was running 2748fps.

You're going to be at a disadvantage running a gasser at a bolt match any way you slice it, but a 556 gas shooting 69's is definitely going to do worse. 69's fall on their face hard. I could see a good shooter with a good rifle and load (not 69gr) finishing in the top half as long as most of the targets are inside 600.

There's a gas gun class too now but if you go and place 110th overall and 1st in the class you still placed 110th over all and probably aren't going to be very happy of your decision at the end of the day,

Not to mention “Gas gun” is now ALL gas guns that he’ll be competing against. I’ll be pushing 130 Bergers at 2900.

That is black hills factory ammo. But you can recreate with PP2000MR, just work up slowly.