• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range of 6.5 creedmoor?

Re: Range of 6.5 creedmoor?

Id say 1200-1400y depending on conditions.

Ive shot the 140gr amax out to a mile with some resemblance of consistency and accuracy, it only took 109moa.

1200-1400 is a good number. With the 140AMAX at 2810fps at sea level it makes it to about 1300 yards supersonic. Out to 1100 it will work very well from my experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1200-1400 is a good number. With the 140AMAX at 2810fps at sea level it makes it to about 1300 yards supersonic. Out to 1100 it will work very well from my experiences. </div></div>

I'd say that's realistic under excellent conditions with typical target sizes. Part of the problem with shooting all of these little cartridges at 1000-1500yds is the ability to spot trace/impact and correct.

Chuck (264shooter) hit the mile torso target a couple of times with his 6.5CM and 123gr Lapuas last time we went out, under ideal conditions and at 4000'MSL. They seemed stable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotty, we might need to see some video to back up that claim !</div></div>

Jeeezus! I wished I had looked you guys up when I was out in Fallon a month and a half ago.

FWIW, typically out in the high Western Nevada desert you can get good stability out to one mile with a 6.5mm. ...Or most any good high powered round with a good BC bullet.

Where I'm at, up/down(?) here in MN (800 ft. and typically cooler) the atmosphere tends to play more havoc with all bullets at longer ranges. My 123's from my Grendel tend to wander a bit more than normal at around 1050-1100 yds. 140 A-max's make it to 1200 and so do 130 gr. Norma Golden Targets. The latter two from my 6.5x55 Swede pushed @ 2875 and 2920 respectively.

I had the same question except with a 260 remington? It's in the same family so I know they have similarites perforance wise but I'd like some input from 260 owners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desert_reaper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same question except with a 260 remington? It's in the same family so I know they have similarites perforance wise but I'd like some input from 260 owners. </div></div>
Then start yourself a 260 remington thread
grin.gif
just kidding, i wouldn't mind knowing that myself.

i shot my 6.5 wildcat that had a very similiar capacity to the creedmoor at 1550yds and made 3 consecutive hits on my steel ipsc target with a 123 scenar at 3100fps. i have no reason to believe it was not supersonic at that distance. one i had my dope right, i could hit more often than not but spotting the shot was nearly impossible. i would have to shoot and then ride the 4wheeler down to the target and take a look. i could occasionally spot the splash in some very loose and dry dirt.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desert_reaper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same question except with a 260 remington? It's in the same family so I know they have similarites perforance wise but I'd like some input from 260 owners.</div></div>

Same bullet + same velocity = same range. Both will send the same round out at the same speed. I used 2810fps as the basic speed most are sending the 140 out of a 6.5 Creedmoor or .260. You can get them both faster or slower and performance will change.

I shot my original Dancer to 1123yd (billed as 1Km) using a 24" barrel and what turned out to be an overmax load with the 139 Scenar.

I think the .260 and 6.5CM ar so closely matched that the differences come down to powder choices and barrel lengths.

Greg

I agree on the differences, and would also add that as of right now, 6.5C has the edge on factory ammo for those so inclined.
Even with off the shelf box ammo you should be gtg for 1200-1400.

I've shot 1550 yards with the Creedmoor, hitting a man sized target on the 4th round.

Green with envy about you guys that have those long ranges to shoot over.
My 6.5CM has never been past 500 yds.
I love the cartridge. No magazine issues and very accurate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotty, we might need to see some video to back up that claim !</div></div>

Lucky for you, I actually spent some time last night in front of Premiere. Long ways from anything publishable yet.

Are all of these >1000 yard reports with custom guns? I just got a DPMS LR-6.5 with a NF NXS. I won't get any long range shooting in for at least a couple months while I work on getting a membership to a 1000 yard range in my area.

I think it should shoot the Hornady 140 AMAX at about 2700fps. I'm not sure who makes the bull barrels for DPMS. Anyone have any guesses how accurate it will be? How far?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Green with envy about you guys that have those long ranges to shoot over.
</div></div>

Yea, it must be nice. I finally got to shoot my 6.5CM 500 yards too, just this past week. But I did find some opportunity to go farther on some private property.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrLowandSlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are all of these >1000 yard reports with custom guns? I just got a DPMS LR-6.5 with a NF NXS. I won't get any long range shooting in for at least a couple months while I work on getting a membership to a 1000 yard range in my area.

I think it should shoot the Hornady 140 AMAX at about 2700fps. I'm not sure who makes the bull barrels for DPMS. Anyone have any guesses how accurate it will be? How far?

</div></div>

I've hit 2/3 IPSC, MGM BCC's, and LaRues at 1K (well the LaRues were 994) with my POF 6.5 Creedmoor shooting factory 140 Amax ammo or my handloads that are factory Amax clones. It sports a fast 20" Rock Creek 5R cut rifled barrel and gets 2650ish, and is between 9.1-9.3 mils at 1K depending on conditions.

I'd like to try it further (and will one of these days).

I have shot my 260 to 1300yds with both the 123s and the 140s. Actually the 123s did a better job.

I shot down in Nebraska in the sandhills at an 18" or 24" steel plate. (can't remember which one it was for sure)

The first year I shot down there I was using the 140s and at the time the 6.5x284 was my longrange gun. It smacked it about 7 out of 9 times in a pretty stiff wind. The only misses were from wind.

When I shot my 260 with the 140s it was not very consistant like the 6.5x284. I would be over, then under, then on then left or right. No real consistancy. I think I only hit it a couple of times out of 8 or 10rds that I shot at it.

The next year I shot down there I only had the 260 but had, had the barrel set back at around 1800rds and was now shooting the 123s. When I shot at it with the 123s it reminded me of shooting at it with the 6.5x284. All my misses were wind calls not the over or under that I had with the 140s.

I've hit the mile mark with my .260. I wouldn't say it was very accurate but I would not want to be standing there by no means. Moved in to 1650 and my buddy hit a 12 gong 5 times in a row. Much better shooter than I am but I hit it a few times too. I think I shot about 7-10 times at a mile before I got a hit. Shot about 10 more times at it and hit it I think 3 times. I was happy and realized that it is possible. Had to step it up to my .300 WM with 210 SMKS(biggest I have) and my 6.5-284 142 SMK to to do better, and they did. My other friend did very well with his 338LM. I think 1200 is as far as I can push the .260 though with any kind of real accuracy. (My real accuracy means scaring she shit out of something I was shooting at LOL)

The latest I doped my custom SPF is at 950y, I have the video and it is 11mins long as I'm taking my time logging down info and adjusting elevation. I will try 1000y up to 1250y by Jan 2011. As based on my loads of 2710 FPS Balistics FTE shows a max supersonic at 1250y.

I've shot mine out to 1020yds many times, max distance of the range. 8200' ASL.

Actually, I no longer rate envy. Our local LR group lost our 1Kyd site a few years back, and now my primary effort goes into FV200 shooting. While the challenge has never waned, the distances no longer justify using the .260, and I'm doing my latest work at 200yd with the .222 Rem. Still fun, just a little closer to home and a tad less expensive.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotty, we might need to see some video to back up that claim !</div></div>

Lucky for you, I actually spent some time last night in front of Premiere. Long ways from anything publishable yet. </div></div>

OK, OK, I finally got back to it ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzGuJK8QJI

If you watch it a few times, you'll see the trace on a few shots, and also the hits on both cameras simultaneously.

Scotty, Chuck said you were struggling to reach that far when you guys went out there.

I have been with Chuck when he was consistently hitting at 1200 yards with his 6.5. We were shooting at the target in the video and two smaller ones. The deal was you kept shooting until you missed. Chuck kept hitting and hitting, I and the other guys were getting bored so I started harping on his ass to shoot the smaller targets. Then the only time he missed was if the wind got him. My 308 would get to the 1200 with ease but the wind was eating me up.

i have never seen a match won by hitting the 1k targets more than someone else did
i have seen matches won buy reading the wind and hitting the short range targets (100-650) almost every time from any position

dont get me wrong i love shooting to 1k and beyond
but if this is your main purpose for the rifle then a magnum will do better.... mine is a 7mmsaum shooting matrix 190@2800 fps

my competition rifle is a 260... the creedmore/ 6.5/47 etc are so close in comps one will not outshoot the other
its still the nutball behind it

the max range for a creedmore should be 1k...or a little more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotty, Chuck said you were struggling to reach that far when you guys went out there.

I have been with Chuck when he was consistently hitting at 1200 yards with his 6.5. We were shooting at the target in the video and two smaller ones. The deal was you kept shooting until you missed. Chuck kept hitting and hitting, I and the other guys were getting bored so I started harping on his ass to shoot the smaller targets. Then the only time he missed was if the wind got him. My 308 would get to the 1200 with ease but the wind was eating me up. </div></div>

Doyal,

Yep, the .308 was just not doing the trick at 1760. It's possible that it would be more stable with another bullet like the 175SMK though, or if I was driving the 155's harder.

I have had very good results with the 155's at 1100, 1200, and even 1500. But 1760 ate them alive.

Haha, when Chuck is in the zone, look out - now if he could only stay on the right target.....

Scotty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotty, we might need to see some video to back up that claim !</div></div>

Lucky for you, I actually spent some time last night in front of Premiere. Long ways from anything publishable yet. </div></div>

OK, OK, I finally got back to it ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzGuJK8QJI

Great stuff, all of it from the shooting to the camera work to the editing.

If you watch it a few times, you'll see the trace on a few shots, and also the hits on both cameras simultaneously. </div></div>

Realistic range probably around 1200M.I have made consistant hits out to 1 mile with this cartridge along with the 6.5x47 Lapua.

Bkster,

Then you should come on down to Sacramento....
smile.gif
. I have a 20" .308 Tac Ops work rife that I hammer with up close. However, I just get my butt handed to me at 900 and 1000. The last match had 2x3 at 900 and 4x3 at 1000. That was 180 points that pulled me away from the pack little by little. This has me looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor for a competition rifle now.

I'm either gonna build one or break into Chuck's garage!
smile.gif