• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Range of Magnification for 6.5CM AR

Scottie15

- 0 -
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Sacto, CA
I having a hard time deciding which scope to purchase for medium range hunting/long range target rifle 6.5 Creedmoor rifle I am putting together. The rifle is being built on the AR10 receiver. I intend to use this rifle for hunting situations where my typical shots are 75 - 500 yards. I also would like to punch paper out to ~1k. The scope will have a 50mm objective, mil/mil and a FFP reticle. I am waiting for a SS 5-20, but am not 100% sure I'll put it on this rifle. I'm towards at the NF line bc of the zero stop.

First question: should I look at the 5-20/5.5-22 or the 3-15 magnification range? Pros/cons for each?

Second and slightly different topic question: are there any scopes with a 50mm objective and adjustable magnification in the 3-15 or ~5-~20 range that have gone on a diet and weigh less than 30 ounces?

Thanks!

Re: Range of Magnification for 6.5CM AR

i'd go 3.5-15 or 4-16. At the top end of both of those you can still play at 1000 yards with ease.

Look at the new Vortex PST line in the 4-16 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottie15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Second and slightly different topic question: are there any scopes with a 50mm objective and adjustable magnification in the 3-15 or ~5-~20 range that have gone on a diet and weigh less than 30 ounces?

</div></div>

Premier Light Tactical has 30mm tube and 50mm objective and weighs ~25 oz.

Something that tops out around 15x to 18x would seem appropriate, with 20x or a little more not being out of line (although not really necessary unless personal preference dictates it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Premier Light Tactical has 30mm tube and 50mm objective and weighs ~25 oz.

Something that tops out around 15x to 18x would seem appropriate, with 20x or a little more not being out of line (although not really necessary unless personal preference dictates it).</div></div>

Ooo I like the sound of that. Thanks for pointing me in the Premier Reticles direction.

Depending on your zero distance and load, the SS 5-20x is capable of getting you out to 1000 yards in a single turn. This obviates the need for a zero stop.

I'm going to replace the mil/mil NF F1 on my 6.5CM AR with an SS 5-20x. I really like what I'm seeing with the SS reticle.

I one downfall of NF scopes (and a bunch of others) is weight. There are quite of few 50mm mil/mil options though that come in much lighter. I prefer Leupold because of their awesome warranty and the new VX-R scopes have some intriguing options:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-4-12x50-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48045.aspx
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-4-12x50mm/
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/rifle-scope_z6-z6i_3-18x50-p/technical-data