• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

range question

panhndl

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
I've built a range with steel from 50 to 1020 yards. I positioned the range facing north to minimize wind and sun, thinking this would be the best direction. I've been told that changing the direction of the range so that our prevailing wind (from the southwest) was more full crosswind rather than 45-20 degrees cross would be better.

I have a great spot that I could do that with lots of great natural backstops and could get shots up to about 1100 yards or so. The downside is that it would face west and the setting sun.

What are some of your thoughts on how to position your range relative to the wind and sun?

Thanks!

I am getting ready to build my range. It will de facing southwest but that is the only choice I have. I can set multiple targets up out to 1410 yards. I think I will pour concrete slabs to shoot from and fix different types of barriers to shoot of.

I think it's great that you're thinking through this, but I would say don't try too hard to minimize the effect of the natural environment. If late afternoon sun is an issue, then maybe have fewer stages so you finish earlier in the day? Otherwise set appropriate stages of fire with equally as appropriate target sizes and time limits. Then let the winds continue to be the great equalizer.

I am new to this game so I don’t know the best route to go. Southwest is my only option. Sounds like you have a lot of options maybe someone with a lot of experience will help you on here.

I think it's great that you're thinking through this, but I would say don't try too hard to minimize the effect of the natural environment. If late afternoon sun is an issue, then maybe have fewer stages so you finish earlier in the day? Otherwise set appropriate stages of fire with equally as appropriate target sizes and time limits. Then let the winds continue to be the great equalizer.
I'm not really doing this for a competition, but rather for my own personal shooting.

do you want to improve your skills by making it more difficult, or do you want to set it up so it is easy to hit targets?

do you want to improve your skills by making it more difficult, or do you want to set it up so it is easy to hit targets?
Good question. I don’t know that I have a good answer. I hadn’t thought of it as levels of difficulty. I suppose I was assuming that there was an advantage/disadvantages associated with the 90 degree cross wind vs 20 degree crosswind.

From my friend’s casual comment I somehow assumed he was implying that a 90 crosswind was easier to deal with than some odd angle one would be. Was I mistaken?

Good question. I don’t know that I have a good answer. I hadn’t thought of it as levels of difficulty. I suppose I was assuming that there was an advantage/disadvantages associated with the 90 degree cross wind vs 20 degree crosswind.

From my friend’s casual comment I somehow assumed he was implying that a 90 crosswind was easier to deal with than some odd angle one would be. Was I mistaken?

i'm not expert on this.
personally, i would think varying direction would give you more practice, reading speed and direction.
on the other hand more wind means more dope, which means greater chance of error.
*but if the wind varies in one direction 20-45 deg, i am not sure how it can be at a steady 90 deg facing in a different direction.

in the end, on your own range, you're going to nail everything down in short order, so i would probably choose the direction that is best for when you want to shoot the most. if you want to shoot in the afternoons after work, and you don't want to squint into the sun, i wouldn't choose that direction. jmo

/why not both?

i'm not expert on this.
personally, i would think varying direction would give you more practice, reading speed and direction.
on the other hand more wind means more dope, which means greater chance of error.
*but if the wind varies in one direction 20-45 deg, i am not sure how it can be at a steady 90 deg facing in a different direction.

in the end, on your own range, you're going to nail everything down in short order, so i would probably choose the direction that is best for when you want to shoot the most. if you want to shoot in the afternoons after work, and you don't want to squint into the sun, i wouldn't choose that direction. jmo

/why not both?
In general, the way it is set up now, will be a sharp angle rather than broadside. I guess I should say the other set up would have the wind 75-105 degree?

I would love to do both but the price of steel, and we’re building a shooting platform and storage at the range so I can’t afford both. It would be nice, though.

In general, the way it is set up now, will be a sharp angle rather than broadside. I guess I should say the other set up would have the wind 75-105 degree?

I would love to do both but the price of steel, and we’re building a shooting platform and storage at the range so I can’t afford both. It would be nice, though.
it would be nice to have berms or backstops for spotting.

Reactions: panhndl