• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 300 Win Mag

mceod

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
29 Palms, CA
Took my 700P to the range this morning on a practically perfect shooting morning here in Southern California. Temps were in the mid 80's when I got to the range about 8 this morning and were at 91 when I left at about 10:30. Winds were pretty calm, not blowing more than 5-10 at most. Even with the wind blowing, it was a no value tail wind pretty much the entire length of the range.

Started of with a quick bore site at 100 yards with a soda can as my target. First shot after lining up the bore with the cross hairs was a direct hit, pretty much right at the POA. Since the line was still hot, I played around at various distances out to about 500 with rough dope numbers on pretty good sized steel targets before I got a chance to shoot for a group.

When I did get to go for a group, this was my 5 shot result.
(Center of the "8" was my POA)
P8260023.jpg

I think the rifle is capable of much better, but the nut behind the trigger is a little loose
smirk.gif
. After I zeroed, I gather some data for distance out to 1000 yards. The range I shoot at has targets at 100-600, 1000, and 1760 yards with most of the steel about 2 MOA sized targets. I had all first round hits based on numbers from the Ballistic FTE app followed up by a verification shot. I didn't go out to a mile because I'm not sure the ammo I'm using will get me there consistently, but I think I could get lucky once or twice.

Here are the stats on the rifle:
Factory 700 Action and barrel
SWFA 5-20x50 Non-Illuminated
Seekins Rings
LaRue 20 MOA Base
6-9 Harris
Rear bag (Sock filled with small rocks from my backyard, but it works)
190gr SMK loaded from Southwest Ammunition

photo-1.jpg

Re: Range Report 300 Win Mag

Wow awesome rifle. Looks like you have a nice range to shoot at as well. Not a bad group. You can narrow that down for sure with this nice of a rifle. Happy shooting!

Nice looking rig just got mine back form the gunsmith but am still waiting to try it out.

Hey Bud, where is that range? I have a friend in So CA that just bought an MRAD and doesn't know where he can get out to over 1,000.

PM me if needed.

Any help appreciated.

PB

If you google 29 Palms rifle range, you'll find it. It's cheap to become a member and it sounds like they have a killer facility. I have been meaning to check it out. I'm gonna wait until October though!

What distance for the group of the picture, 500?

The group was shot at 100. I'm pretty sure your ammo is capable of much tighter groups, but it was my first time shooting the 300wm for a group.

The info about the range is correct. I shoot in 29 Palms. If your buddy wants to try to set up a weekend to come check it out, pm me and I'll get you my email address.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Markusltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awsome with some factory Police stuff from the range! </div></div>

I think the factory barrel and action are the limiting factor in group size right now. I was using some pretty decent ammo, with a rifle that has a bit work done to it, and (not to brag) but I think I'm a fairly decent shot (MOA at least!)

Only 1920 more rounds (I think) until this barrel is done. Unless I decide to go custom instead.