• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report: AI Covert - first shots downrange

300ATT

Induna
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Denver CO
I made the mistake of going to Mile Shooting to buy a Tab Gear rear bag. They were out of bags and I made a BIGGER mistake of holding an AI Covert. I ended up walking out with it. (Chiller pointed out to me that this was a great day at the gun store - he is right it was a great day!):

I apologize for the lousy pictures (best by gen 1 iPhone will do):

Gunongrass.jpg

Took the gun to the range that afternoon to see what it would do. The following are 3-shot groups of various loads/ammo shot off bags at 100 yards:

AIcovertfirstshots.jpg

The 173gr LC Match shot .678" (this is a really good sign)
155gr Scenars shot .8" (gun likes heavier bullets)
168gr SMK shot .2 - .8" with a flier (this is a really good sign)
175gr SMK shot .1 - 4" with a flier (this is a really good sign)

Note: The bottom target in the picture is the result of shooting prone off a bi-pod various 4-shot loads at 100 yds to get an idea of P.O.I shifts - (168gr handloads, 168 FGMM, 175 FGMM, BH 168, Fed M-1A match, LC Match, 180 gr Fed match). The 168 gr loads all punched through the same POI about 3/4" low. The 173 gr and 180 gr loads opened the group up slightly. For some reason the 175 FGMM shot 2" low and right but it shot more or less in the same hole. The 175 FGMM Group is actually a 4-shot and then a 3-shot group shot 40 minutes apart at the same POA. The gun really likes the 175's this group measured less than 1/2" center to center.

The next is a 4-shot group prone off a bi-pod with my "168 gr FGMM Simulated hand load" (yes I take credit for the flier high and right):

168grtarget.jpg

The velocities only fell off 300-350 fps compared to a match .308 with a 24" barrel which was also surprising for such a short barrel.

Federal 168gr FGMM - 2,469 fps average
LC Match (173 gr) - 2,367 fps average

All shots at 5,310ft MSL, 85 degrees, wind 5-10 mph left to right.

The gun is exactly repeatable, very precise (sub 1/2 MOA in the right hands) and performs much better than I expected. I am really impressed and frankly surprised by the performance of this gun.

When the suppressor arrives I will report on the performance with SS and sub-sonic loads. This may happen sooner than I planned as the great folks at Mile High offered to meet me at the range with one of their suppressor while I wait for the NFA paperwork to clear. If you live in the CO front range area it is worth a visit to Mile High - bring lots of cash
grin.gif

Good shooting ...

Re: Range Report: AI Covert - first shots downrange

Ya I feel your pain.....

mcupuv.jpg

Should have never clicked their post here awhile back!
I'm happy with it though, taking it out for a spin today.

That's funny. Walk in expecting to drop a couple bucks and come out with a new gun. You just have to love the addiction.

Nice stick by the way.

Yes it is a sickness ... someone needs to start a GA movement. If we all attended then maybe the wives and GF's would be more understanding ... You might even qualify for some some government assistance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it is a sickness ... someone needs to start a GA movement. If we all attended then maybe the wives and GF's would be more understanding ... You might even qualify for some some government assistance. </div></div>

But then we would have to admit it's actually a PROBLEM.
Had this conversation with my dad the other day... it would be cheaper if i went the charlie sheen route and opted for coke and loose women. Instead i obsess over rifles, scopes, and match grade ammo.

O well, sure is a hell of a lot of fun!