• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Range Report" - ATI GSG AK47 .22lr

Mudcat-NC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Western NC
Well, I finally got my hands on one of the ATI AK47s in 22lr. Yeah, this aint not tacticool sniper rig and it wont be replacing my Sako Quad trainer any time soon, but dang, this is one fun gun!

Looks and build: This one, out of all the 22 replicas I have, looks the most "air gunish" with is finish, etc. But, not really in a bad way though. The wood is nice but soft and is going to dent up easily and already has. But, its a cool looking rifle and everyone that shot it yesterday really liked it. Several are likely to buy one after getting to shoot mine. Nothing came loose or broke during our extended range sessions. Sights are fully functional and pretty much like the real mccoy. Mag inserts like the real deal and it seems to cycle that way too. Neato plinker. On the cool factor, I would say the group rating would have been a 9 out of 10.

We took it out yesterday and run over 1,000 rounds of Federal red box Walmart el cheapo ammo thru it. It never missed a beat until about 400 rounds in we had one failure to fire, and then several hundred more rounds in we had a couple more. But, at that point, we had some pretty serious powder residue building up in the action...but we kept shooting anyhow! For functionality, especially for a rimfire, group rating would have been 9.5 out of 10...only losing the half point cause of the couple FTF, but heck, that could have been the el cheapo wallyworld ammo!

Accuracy....we never put up a target so I cant tell you want it will group like...and probably never will, as my plinkers just dont get shot that way. But, we had no problem tearing up soda cans, empty 22 boxes, shotgun shell boxes and even shotgun shell hulls were getting toasted with amazing regularity! We also took out the Colt M4 Ops, and two GSG5s, a full size carbine and the Mp5 pistol version and the Ak47 was the most reliable and the most popular as it was consistently in action, while the others got a break now and then.

Mudcat and the test crew would say "Buy one!", especially if you can no longer afford to go blasting all day with your real AK47!! This is one fun plinker and the fact it will eat up el cheapo ammo is icing on the cake!

John

Re: "Range Report" - ATI GSG AK47 .22lr

Not sure, will have to check. I do know they have a screw on attachment thing at the end of the bbl but I am not sure its actually attached to the bbl or liner. Will have to look at it this evening. I can shoot some pics and upload them if you want. Assuming youre thinking can, right?

John

I just took the "cap" off the end of the bbl and it doesnt appear that the bbl is threaded but its inside a "bbl liner" that the end cap threads into. So the liner is threaded but the cap sits out in front of the bbl thats inside the line and the cap basically centers it.

Hope that helps.

John

Yes....as far as I know, noone has extra mags yet, but the same thing happened with the GSG5 and of course, mags are everywhere now. Will just keep using the one I have until they get plentiful and then I will get a bunch to set back for rainy days.

What I really want is for someone to make a 100 rounder for this thing and for the Colt M4 22, the GSG5, etc....now that would be cool!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sights are fully functional and pretty much like the real mccoy.

</div></div>

That's an oxymoron. This is an AK47 reproduction, either the sights are fully functional or they're pretty much like the real mccoy. Can't be both.
laugh.gif

Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Elevation works....no windage. If I remember what my sights are like on my imitation commie AKs, they do the same. Thus, functional and like the real McCoy.

Yes, it is a hoot to shoot. Hey, that rhymes!

FWIW,

gsg_ak_wood.jpg

(Added a pic for those who haven't seen one of the GSGs yet.)

If you wan't a .22lr AK74 kit, the Krinker Plinker is a good alternative
000017.JPG

It is uses the Ruger 10/22 action and is very durable.
(Plus the manufacture is good to go.)

I have the SBR version of the kit and just to be differnt, I changed the FH to an A2 type and the pistol grip to the one for the SAW.
If you were to combine that with a suppressor and a norrell trigger pack, you would have the perfect fun gun.
grin.gif

Sorry,
Didn't mean to Hijack.
Just thought I would share what I run.

Looks good. I have several standard 10/22's so I may have to try one of those.