• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report: CCI SV - good lot

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    I like to read range reports myself so here is my attempt at it.

Been shooting a new CCI SV lot that I bought for €3 ($3.4) a box for some time now and its chrono readings just amaze me. Compared to SK and Lapua lots which I have shot it seems very good.

Chrono results, please note that without the 2 coldbore shots the first column is exeptionally good also.

I have confirmed somewhat of a trend using SK ammo that 1st is high, second low fps.
    Screenshot_20200308-141505_Excel.jpg

Screenshot_20200308-141854_Excel.jpg

But it still is, CCI after all.
    I tested it at 50m which I do not enjoy so much anymore and it showed much better results than expected. Those moments I was able to focus, I could almost stack them. Few (hah) bad shots ruined the max spread.
    20200308_202121.jpg

At 101m: All groups are under 1moa if one shot is taken out. I know, it sounds stupid but it is CCI. I claim none of the fliers mine, which is maybe not completely true..
    20200308_193205.jpg

At 151m:
    First paper (2moa) is me getting dope and the second is "the group" which is 1moa with 4 closest hits and 1.5moa in total.
    20200308_200844.jpg

208m, you know the trend by now..
    4 groups, 2 shots missing.
    The seen groups are
    -left 1.3moa (1 missing)
    -center 1.1moa inner / 2.5moa outer with 1 missing shot found
    -right 1moa
    -lowest is 1moa with one missing. (5,8cm, not 5,3 as written on the target)
    20200308_205144.jpg

With these I will be able to practise longer distances easily. Now I have dope for it readily but it might need some tweaking.
    I am very much looking towards next trip!!

Last edited:
    Sako Quad, 22" factory barrel.

20200308_221038.jpg

I have finesanded the barrel inside with extra fine abrasives but not a lot was achieved. Just wanted to make it more shiny when borescoped. Well really I am upgrading the barrel soon probably and want to test different treatments.

Here is the range:
    20180922_114132.jpg

Last edited:
    Whatever info you dig up on a Finnish barrel maker I'd be interested. Not that I'm going to replace my barrel but just curious to who else might be making barrels. Lilja....meh....if they were the only barrel maker in the world and all barrels come through them, I'd just quit shooting and take up badminton.

Reactions: Near miss
    Sako Quad, 22" factory barrel.

View attachment 7268370

I have finesanded the barrel inside with extra fine abrasives but not a lot was achieved. Just wanted to make it more shiny when borescoped. Well really I am upgrading the barrel soon probably and want to test different treatments.

Here is the range:
    View attachment 7268398
    Nice range but somebody is gonna have to cut that grass.

Nice range but somebody is gonna have to cut that grass.
    Noo the one or two months in the whole year I get to really see green I do not mind it at all.

Whatever info you dig up on a Finnish barrel maker I'd be interested. Not that I'm going to replace my barrel but just curious to who else might be making barrels. Lilja....meh....if they were the only barrel maker in the world and all barrels come through them, I'd just quit shooting and take up badminton.
    The shop (site not available in English) is Peuralan asepaja. They make wide selection of barrels by cutting and have a 100m test tunnel. They have made themselves name here and have given me 0.4" 50m 5 shot guarantee which is 0.7moa.
    A guarantee or even a serious suggestion for it is great and they can test ammo there also. I do have clubs test facilities at use but it is just 50m.

When ravage releases his new info about 22lr twist rates I will act upon it right away.

It seems to be the gun that does that variable. It can be seen with other ammo too, like the Biathlon cartridges.
    Although Tenex runs at 1078 and even 1101..

I have no clear explanation for it.
    Having the chrono tilted would make recorded velocity fall off but I keep it very straight and small changes do not even show up in the data since I shot both 150m and 208m with the same chrono position and same SD/ES still applies, even it is a larger sample.

Near Miss, I wouldn't give Lilja the time of day if you have someone like Peuralan Asepaja in your area. I'm interested to know how his products compare with others. He appears to be a true craftsman and gunsmith, not just someone sitting behind a desk all day with employees pushing buttons.

Near Miss, I wouldn't give Lilja the time of day if you have someone like Peuralan Asepaja in your area. I'm interested to know how his products compare with others. He appears to be a true craftsman and gunsmith, not just someone sitting behind a desk all day with employees pushing buttons.
    Especially when Lilja will cost me nearly a grand..
    I am very interested about how fine work they can do. Meanwhile my factory barrel is doing well enough.