• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Range Report...first time 500yard .223

adamsmith007

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2011
Well after spending a considerable amount of time doing ladder tests and plain old 3 shot groups with a variety of bullet weights and powders, yesterday I finally settled on a 55 gr v-max with 26.4 grains of varget which gives me .5 inch groups. A friend wanted to shoot today and i didn't have time to load any of the new round i found to be most accurate, so i just grabbed some 55 gr hornady FMJ i had loaded about a month ago when i first started reloading.

So my friend and i go to my in-laws and set up targets at 300, 400, and 500 yards. Over christmas i played around a little with some loads at 300 and 400, but nothing at 500, so i was eager to shoot my farthest to date. My friend was trying to sight in his BDC scope on his hunting rifle, so the 300 and 400 yard targets were really for him. I took a few shots at the 300 and 400 yard targets then took aim at 500. All i have on my .223 is a 3x9x40 vx-ii, so i pick a small patch of snow above the target at where i think the hold over should be and shoot 5 shots aimed at that same spot. I wasn't expecting much since i am new to shooting at this distance, but was pleasantly surprised when i saw the group. I am interested to see what my more accurate load will do at this distance. There were slight wind gust right to left which i think blew the two on the left.

I am saving up for a viper scope and can't wait to do this again when i can dial the yardage and hold dead on and actually see how close i get to what im aiming at. Let me know what you think! Forgot to mention this is with a RRA PP 20".
rifletruckcopy.jpg

scopezoomcopy.jpg

500group1.jpg

500group.jpg

Re: Range Report...first time 500yard .223

Well under MOA, with a gas gun and holding on a patch of snow. Very impressive, keep up the good work. That Vortex Viper scope your saving for will help alot!

Nice groups! We used to shoot prone from the 500 meter line in the Marines, but our groups were a little bigger than that!

Thanks guys! Considering the scope, and the fact im a newbie, i was impressed! I know many people can do this and better with their eyes closed. Hopefully i will get better with practice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. I've yet to hear anyone complain about accuracy out of a Rock River</div></div>
That, and this post, is good news to me. I've been tossing around the idea of adding an AR to my prairie dog arsenal. Looks like this settled my qualms about accuracy. Now to figure out where to hide it so the wife doesn't see...

My goal is to do same or similar..
Very good,and second that on the AR /M16 at 500 yds USMC style....

I remember the first time I went out and tried everything I had learned on sniperside. I had with me, my brand new lvsteel 1/3 IPSC steel target I just got in, my JBM DOPE card, my new range finder and my Rock River.

I set the target out at 500 yards, set up and thought, damn that's a long way. I set up, pulled the trigger and saw the impact and heard the DING. The bullet went exactly where I aimed it. Dead center of the steel silhouette.

It's been a very expensive seven years since then.