• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report from long time lurker with photo's

ekaphoto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2006
Northern California
I have looked areound here a lot for a while with a couple of posts. A while back I ordered an infidel from Mike at tac ops after talking with him and several of his customers including one guy that has been there and done that. This morning I shot it for the first time.

I put a target scope on that due to the lack of MOA adjustment will not zero at 100 because of the 20 MOA basis. I knew that before the rifle arrived and planned on getting a new scope with enough adjustment to suit the rifle. The scope I used was a Burris 6-24x44. This is an exellant scope I used to use in competition. It has 1/8 MOA adjustments etc. Like I said an exelland scope but not the correct tool for this rifle, but it did get me to the range today.

As many of you may know Mike guarintees .25 MOA accuacy with federal gold medal match ammo. Everyone I talked to says they get better than that with their tac ops rifle. I know there has been some controvery in this with some folks in the past, but everyone I spoke to said they were happy.

When Mike test fired it he let me know and said mine was a regular laser. He told me it shot the best of the 10 rifles he shot that day and I wouldn't beleive the test target. When I got the rifle the test target was .015 inches at 110 yards. That is right, .015 is correct not a typo. Now I have talked to mike several times on the phone and met him once and took him for a straight up guy, but I will admit in the back of my mind was a little nagging doubt about the test target.

Fast forward to this morning. The girlfriend and I go to the range and get set up. I did a couple of dry fires to get warmed up and a feel for the rifle. I shot three shots and looking through my spotting scope I can tell it is a good group. I then adjust my scope and spen a couple more rounds trying to see if I got lucky nad can get a 100 yard zero. No luck there, as i thought I need a scope with more adjustment.

So we head down range to get the target and I look at my group. At first I want sure if it was one bullet hole and the rest were off the paper. I pulled the target down and we looked it over carfully using a magnifying glass etc. after careful inspection it is a three shot group. after getting it home I put calipers to it and the group way .020 inches center to center. The best group I have ever shot. As mike says, he builds a tactical rifle with benchrest accuracy.

The group I shot

761747103_pZAqB-M.jpg

The Rifle

753489636_RSjAN-M.jpg

The test target Mike shot

753556202_e8hto-M.jpg

Re: Range report from long time lurker with photo's

Yeah they are very nice rifles but they cost an arm and a leg. Alot of cash there almost as much as a Surgeon .338 Remedy

Re: Range report from long time lurker with photo's

your ruined now

Re: Range report from long time lurker with photo'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah they are very nice rifles but they cost an arm and a leg. Alot of cash there almost as much as a Surgeon .338 Remedy </div></div>

Not even. I have two coming soon and both, just for the rifle, was just over $4000. However, different models are different prices, just like any other custom rifles. I believe the Tango is the least expensive, so would be well under $4000.

Jamie

Beautiful rifle and excellent grouping. What caliber? .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful rifle and excellent grouping. What caliber? .308? </div></div>

Yes .308, and yes I am ruined now.

what can they possible do to their builds to make them "so much more" accurate than any other custom builder?

claiming that a gun will shoot .250" groups with factory ammo is a very bold statement. Is than guarntee just with him at the trigger or what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what can they possible do to their builds to make them "so much more" accurate than any other custom builder?

claiming that a gun will shoot .250" groups with factory ammo is a very bold statement. Is than guarntee just with him at the trigger or what? </div></div>

What a person can do to make a rifle more accurate is common knowledge; new stock, accurizing action, bedding the action, floating the barrel, etc. Gathering all these parts together won't make a good rifle however, It's not just the parts but HOW they are put together. Tac Ops has it down to a science.

I suspect that when they claim it will shoot 1/4 MOA they mean, THEY can shoot the rifle 1/4 MOA. They dont claim however, that anybody can pick up the rifle and shoot 1/4 MOA. Just my 2 cents.

Awesome stick John...that's the 1st Infidel I've seen. I thought they were supposed to be brown/tan but the classic TAC OPS Green is always cool. I'm waiting on a A3-5 platform from Mike and couldn't be more excited. All of his rifles the last several years have been much better than the .25 MOA claimed. There is a TON of info about Mike's rifles and there abilities so there is no need to debate it just use the custom SH google engine found here and read away what you want...

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what can they possible do to their builds to make them "so much more" accurate than any other custom builder?

claiming that a gun will shoot .250" groups with factory ammo is a very bold statement. Is than guarntee just with him at the trigger or what? </div></div>

I don't know. Call him and ask him. I never said anything about anyone else or claimed he was better than anyone else. I am just reporting what my rifle did when <span style="text-decoration: underline">I shot it</span>. What I don't want to do is turn this into a pissing contest. If you want to go with someone else, go with them. If you want to buy from Mike go with him. I spent <span style="text-decoration: underline">MY money</span> where <span style="font-style: italic">I </span>wanted to. It <span style="text-decoration: underline">YOUR money</span> spend it where <span style="text-decoration: underline">YOU like</span>. If you want to start problems find it from someone else. I am not going to play that game. Junior high was over for me a long time ago. I suggest you move beyond that point yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what can they possible do to their builds to make them "so much more" accurate than any other custom builder?

What a person can do to make a rifle more accurate is common knowledge; new stock, accurizing action, bedding the action, floating the barrel, etc. Gathering all these parts together won't make a good rifle however, It's not just the parts but HOW they are put together. Tac Ops has it down to a science.

I suspect that when they claim it will shoot 1/4 MOA they mean, THEY can shoot the rifle 1/4 MOA. They dont claim however, that anybody can pick up the rifle and shoot 1/4 MOA. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

check out this link. the builder goes into some detail about what sets his rifles apart. his receivers are squared to 1 50millionth of an inch......

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7281

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TYB422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome stick John...that's the 1st Infidel I've seen. I thought they were supposed to be brown/tan but the classic TAC OPS Green is always cool.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

</div></div>

Thanks. The original concept was a tan color, but it did not turn out as envisioned. Also there was some type of problem with that color combo and the birdsong finish. I am really happy with this rifle. I can't wait to get the right scope on it and get it zeroed. Since the original finish did not turn out Mike gave me a couple of options on the finish and this is the one I picked. He let me upgrade a little as well. While the upgrades were mostly cosmetic I am glad that he let me.

I've found Mike is really cool to work with...He really works hard to make you happy, doing something extra that is not required which I've also found not to be the norm these days.

Is it the same stock as a Tango and what optics is it getting?

I havent decidied on the optics yet. I want something with a lot of adjustment. I found a used, like new Leupold VX-L 4.5-15x56 I am considering. I would like a nightforce, but its just not in the budget. I am also considering Bushnell elite 6500 and a couple of others.

That's a great looking rifle and some good shooting too! I'm glad you posted your info and the pic.

As for the negative comments you may get just let them roll off. When you post a really nice rifle and some photos of some very nice shooting to go with it your gonna mess with some egos ecspecially on the net. Hopefully one day I'll have a rifle that can shoot that good.