• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report, Houston we have a problem.

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
I went out to shoot my FrankenAR that was actually put together with a bunch of feedback from this forum. A few lanes down we heard an obvious problem. A guy bought some kind of Romanian AK47 and put a can on it and when he fired there was a baffle strike, so he did what anyone would and pulled the trigger a second time which turned the can into a fragmentation device. There was a little blood from his shooting buddy that was struck. The suppressor is obviously screwed, the barrel is ruined as well.

I googled it when I got home and did not realize that AKs were not always concentric and that if you plan on shooting one suppressed it is a good idea to have it checked by a gunsmith.

I went out to shoot my FrankenAR that was actually put together with a bunch of feedback from this forum. A few lanes down we heard an obvious problem. A guy bought some kind of Romanian AK47 and put a can on it and when he fired there was a baffle strike, so he did what anyone would and pulled the trigger a second time which turned the can into a fragmentation device. There was a little blood from his shooting buddy that was struck. The suppressor is obviously screwed, the barrel is ruined as well.

I googled it when I got home and did not realize that AKs were not always concentric and that if you plan on shooting one suppressed it is a good idea to have it checked by a gunsmith.
It’s always a good idea to check alignment on any host

Most people don't realize how many barrels aren't drilled truly centered. Screw a can on the front with tight tolerances, and like they say in the movie Days of Thunder, there's gonna be some rubbin'.

Reactions: Mwalex
Jesus…. It’s a Romanian AK. This is common sense.

When front sights are regularly noticeably canted from the factory it goes without saying that thread concentricity probably isn’t where it needs to be for a can.

Yup, FB Polish barrels are supposedly more concentric than not.

Sometimes you can't help people, but I could see how an inexperienced shooter might make this mistake. Not long ago, I saw a dude try to sight in his rifle and the scope (leupold mk4 I think) was bottoming out during bore sighting. After another person inspected it they realized he put the 30 moa base on the wrong direction and then torqued the shit out of it down onto the receiver.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ

Yep, most AK's the threads are not bore-centric. That's why they make special suppressors like the Dead Air Wolverine that have a conical-shaped bore that gets larger towards the muzzle end of the can, to avoid such issues. If you have a high-quality American-made AK barrel with 5/8x24 threads, then you should check alignment, but most-likely it was cut bore-centric, and you can run something like a Sandman-S or any other .30 caliber suppressor that's rated for it. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Yep, most AK's the threads are not bore-centric. That's why they make special suppressors like the Dead Air Wolverine that have a conical-shaped bore that gets larger towards the muzzle end of the can, to avoid such issues. If you have a high-quality American-made AK barrel with 5/8x24 threads, then you should check alignment, but most-likely it was cut bore-centric, and you can run something like a Sandman-S or any other .30 caliber suppressor that's rated for it. 👍🏼
Yeah, the guys at my gun range said that higher end American like Rifle Dynamics, Krebs ect. are good to go. He also said that for the money, the Kalashnakov USA AKs are good to go as well at half to 1/3 of the price of the others.

Reactions: FuhQ
Yeah, the guys at my gun range said that higher end American like Rifle Dynamics, Krebs ect. are good to go. He also said that for the money, the Kalashnakov USA AKs are good to go as well at half to 1/3 of the price of the others.
I'm not an AK guy, but I do like to keep up with the info. I have heard that KUSA (Kalashnikov USA) barrels are good-to-go, as well, but I'd do some research or check with an alignment rod first, as that's just what I heard.