• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report, OBR and Viper PST

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I got back to the range today and spent some more time with my LaRue OBR and Vortex Viper PST 4-16.

This is my 3rd range trip since I got them about 3 weeks ago. The first two I zeroed the optic and shot some groups at 100, getting multiple 5 shot groups right at or slightly better than 1/2".

Then I focused on shooting my steel 45% IPSC target. Shooting at 300Y the first two trips. That didnt prove much of a challenge so today I moved it out to 575 yards.

Again this 16" carbine impressed the hell out of me. I know to a lot of you guys this is nothing, but for me to be able to connect as easily and consistently with a semi auto at near 600 yards is pretty good shooting. It was easy enough that next trip I am going to have to max out my range and set it up at ~650 yards.

I am shooting the only load I have loaded for it thus far.(Lapua Brass, 43.5 gr Varget, with 175 SMK's loaded to 2.80"). The carbine runs monotonously well without a single hiccup. Using 7.62 PMags for what its worth.

I havent really tested the optic thoroughly, as far as box testing, etc. Basically I zeroed at 100 yards, and have cranked it as far as 4.6 mils (what it took to get me to 575Y) and back to the 100Y zero and it has been flawless. (the turrets on the PST have particularly impressed me. Just as good as those on my S&B PMII IMO, and those are spectacular as far as I am concerned) I only used the mag up to about 12X today and the glass is excellent so far, plenty good enough to do more than I need to hit my targets. So, overall, I am as impressed as I expected to be with the PST. Vortex has always delivered way more than they have charged me for and the PST is the same as far as I am concerned.

One note, the PST is mounted in the LaRue OBR mount and in the process of these few range trips, the optic has been dismounted 6-7 times for various reasons. I have not dicked with my zero a single time and it is still spot on. Says a lot for the LaRue's ability to RTZ. Good stuff all around.

I could not be happier with the whole package. Initially I intended to go semi only if this thing shot as well as I had been hearing. Well, it is shooting that well, but I still cant bring myself to sell my 20" APA, so I guess I will just keep both.

Here are a few (amateur) pictures from today.

Yes, I was shooting from the bench, I didnt even bring my mat.
DSC_1645.jpg

DSC_1666.jpg

DSC_1668.jpg

My best effort at trying to get a crisp shot of the reticle and the view downrange. IIRC this is about 12x and is looking at the 400 yard line, but cant recall for sure. I suck at pictures in general and especially at through the scope shots.

DSC_1657.jpg

And the target after the last repaint, sitting at 575 yards from the bench.
DSC_1673.jpg

Re: Range report, OBR and Viper PST

thanks for the review . nice shooting.

Damn, those pics really make me miss that rifle!

Glad that you are getting good use out of though, thanks for the range report!

Thanks for the update. I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with you having both a 308 semi and a 308 custom bolt gun. Can you really have too many 308s? Nice range set up you have as well. I'm jealous!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, those pics really make me miss that rifle!

Glad that you are getting good use out of though, thanks for the range report! </div></div>

Yeah, it is living up to my expectations for sure.

And no, I dont think I can bring myself to let the Patriot go, I will just have to get another PST to mount on it. Will be fun to shoot them side by side in varying conditions and really see the difference.

Not a bad thing that both platforms love the same load either.

Although I am going to try and work up a similar load but with LC or Winchester brass for the OBR, just to see if it will shoot as well with cheaper brass as it does with the Lapua, then I can save all my Lapua brass for the bolt gun, as it seems to last forever in the 20" Patriot.

Nice Shooting and great write up Hydro 556,

You mentioned this "I am shooting the only load I have loaded for it thus far.(Lapua Brass, 43.5 gr Varget, with 175 SMK's loaded to 2.80"). The carbine runs monotonously well without a single hiccup. Using 7.62 PMags for what its worth."

What velocities are you getting out of your 16" barrel? additionally, is your AR a rifle length gas system?

Thanks in Advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Shooting and great write up Hydro 556,

You mentioned this "I am shooting the only load I have loaded for it thus far.(Lapua Brass, 43.5 gr Varget, with 175 SMK's loaded to 2.80"). The carbine runs monotonously well without a single hiccup. Using 7.62 PMags for what its worth."

What velocities are you getting out of your 16" barrel? additionally, is your AR a rifle length gas system?

Thanks in Advance.

</div></div>

The carbine is a LaRue OBR,7.62, in 16".

I have not chrono'd it. I would guess the velocity to be in the 2500 FPS range, but I havent seen any chrono results. When I can get my buddy to the range with his chronograph, I will post my results.

Thanks for the report and pics.