• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Range report Savage FTR WOW 8208 maybe better !!

CSiebert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Southeast missouri
I got impatient on my FTR build, and saw a Savage F/TR for sale on accurateshooter.com and ended up buying it. Well I got it today and did a little break in and load testing. It was pretty windy out and I only got out to 300 yards but mother of mercy it's gonna be a hammer !!!!

Re: Range report Savage FTR WOW

Only factory rifle that is competitive @1000 right out of the box.

Va Jim

I did a little testing at 600 today. I had some trouble getting on paper because i left the windage dialed from yesterday and missed the paper and could not spot my miss because of the rain however I think I know where the sweet spot is.
46.2 grs of Varget 5 shots 2.8 nches. 46.4 grs grouped @ 2.105.

Which bullet and how much off lands?

Great to hear! I just picked up the Palma version (love the stock adjustments) of that rifle to use for F/TR knowing I'd only use 155s or 168s, and now I really cant wait for the big brown truck to drop off the NF NXS 8-32 tomorrow so I can test my similar loads using the 155 & 168 Hybrids! Great shooting

Reactions: Seymour Fish

Anybody shoot a 175 or 185 Berger and Varget with a Savage ft/R? Looking for a starting point on what a Savage 12 ft/r might like.

I love my savage FTR as well...thing is for sure a factory hammer.

stg58: With 185btlr bullets, I went up to 45gr of Varget in win brass/fed primers in my Savage (.015" jump, 2.2315" to Ogive) but it was more accurate around 44grs, still working on fine tuning the wt so I can't give you an exact number on that.

Thanks J--Rod. I never had luck with light loads at Butner. I figure a 185 Berger and between 43 and 44.5 Varget might been a good start for a Savage FTR.

No problem, just glad I can help as I have been helped by so many good people on here...Jeff Rorer, Darrell Buell, Andrew McCourt, Bohem, etc, etc.

I shoot the lighter loads better but want to shoot the heavies because of the wind...I figure it's easier for me to work on my form than my wind reading skills in the immediate future.

The only match I have attended was at Butner, next time you are going to be out there, let me know...it's always good to put a face with the name and compare Savage FTR notes :)

Thanks J--Rod. Look forward to meeting you. Yes, the Butner group has always been helpful for my questions. Great group of guys.

The Butner regulars are great answering questions.

yes sir, nice rifle. I also have the same rifle with a mark 4 8.5-25X50LR with TMR. It will do well for you. I have done as good as a 7.5 inch group at 1000 yards with 13 shots with this rifle. And take a golf ball every time at 300yards. I load Lapua brass with cci BR primers, 168 SMK, 46.0gr varget. Im 15thou off the lands. Have fun with it.

Tested XBR 8208 yesterday in very calm conditions. This rifle still amazes me. 43.5-44.3 grains showed outstanding accuracy 44 grain 5 shot group @ 600 netted a 2.230. I only had 3 rounds of 44.3 grains loaded up but verticle was less than .250.

Anybody shooting 175SMKs and varget? If so, how much varget are you using?

I loaded up to 45g with no pressure signs.

I run 45.8g varget behind 175 smk in a 700 5r with zero pressure signs.