• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report...

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
So I went on a camping trip this weekend just got back, Had a bunch of loads to test out of my rifle all using varget powder and federal brass and federal 210 primers. I tried a few loads the rifle didn't like to much but I finally got one that looks promising, I'm not sure on how to measure out a group but I measured from the furthest point out on each side so the outsides of the whole group side to side on the widest part. It is measuring .567 I have some pics that are waiting to get uploaded Ill post ASAP. The load was 44 grains of varget,155 SMK HPBT PALMA MATCH, Federal brass,Federal 210 primer, COAL of 2.775 pushing about 2759 (FT/S) this is the rifle I shot with,
download-17.jpg

Simple I love it so far, Remington 700 SPS-V .308 HS stock OLD remington trigger tuned to my likings with badger 20 MOA base Leupold Mark 4 rings not bedded or anything. Soon to come some bottom metal and a rock barrel eventually but this barrel is VERY promising so far...

Re: Range report...

Heres the target pretty much just a ripped off piece of cardboard off a box of clay pigeons, All I had I ran out of targets.
download-20.jpg

download-19.jpg

thats 5 shots 100 yards not a very stable platform I was shooting out of a little camping chair with a sleeping bag rolled up on top of a Icebox. I was pretty proud of it, I think with a more stable rest that I can tighten it up. So whats the proper way to measure this?

So I would minus .30 from .567 then correct? so point .267 sweet...

Nice shooting dude. You mentioned bottom metal. I put the Williams piece in my HS stock, and it was a perfect drop in. Quality unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironhq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've always been told to measure just the way that you did above, minus the caliber that you're shooting. </div></div>

This is actually somewhat incorrect as no bullet leaves a hole in the paper of the exact same diameter as the cal of the bullet. For a more accurate group size measurement you need a single hole in the same paper for comparison. Measure the single hole and subtract THAT measurement from the group size.

I was thinking of going with the HS bottom metal because its drop in and I want to run magazines but then again the badger M5 seems like a good buy... if I go that route ill probably get it bedded as well. I'm just not sure if id rather do all that or juse have something that drops right in, the price of HS mags is a little discouraging as well.

Very nice groups. Looks like you have a shooter for sure. Currently my SPS tactical 308 is getting a facelift. It is in a aics 1.5 and getting action blueprinted by Robert at RWS gunsmithing plus a rock barrel chambered and installed at 20".

Yeah I'm going to go with a rock barrel at 20 as well, I will be chopping this one down to 20 in the mean time I don't need the 26 it is currentley sporting. I love this rifle it's so simple and effective built just to my needs and I think it looks good:)!!! Thanks for the compliments guys!!!