• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range target holders

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
We have a private club, and are replacing our very old targets with something new. The previous targets were static pieces of large steel-- not very challenging, and kind of uninteresting as well. We're thinking of something that moves, like swinging steel targets. There are a lot of different companies that make very good targets (we'll be going with 5/8" thick AR500). The problem is the knuckleheads. We know from experience people will shoot target frames, chains, etc., so we're trying to minimize the potential for stray round damage. (5/8 is because people will use rifles on the close targets-- Like I said, knuckleheads).

What do you use at your range? Do you have custom holders, or do you use ready-made holders?

We're thinking through the armored 2x4's, rebar, conduit, fence post hangers, T-posts, and even large pipe such as used for bollards. Although we don't mind occasional maintenance, we're trying to keep from having to do daily/weekly maintenance.

Thoughts?

Just my opinion, but I use chains and 2X4s, because honestly being able to quickly and cheaply repair shot up target holders beats trying to find bullet proof ones.

The only ones that really are knuckle-head proof are mounted from the back, and I’m of the opinion that when you weld a bracket on the back of an AR500 target you really mess with its abrasion resistance.

Reactions: insectguy
Made some targets with 4 x 4 wood posts with a 4’ square sheet of plywood at the top (all treated) to hang paper on for gathering dope, below that plywood I hung 1/2” AR 500 plates with grade 8 bolts and high strength chains -3/8” x10,000 lb test I think. Havn’t broke a chain in 7 years or so. It’s a private range so it doesn’t get a lot of heavy use. The bullet splatter is kinda hard on the wood posts and on windy days at long distance the legs get holes occasionally.

1/2” plates - 2’ square at 800 and 900 yards don’t swing much even with a 300 win mag due to the mass of steel, 1’ square plates at 500, 600, and 700 yards swing good.

Built some pistol targets using 3/4” or 1” rebar (can’t remember which) bent into an upside down rectangular shaped U then pounded them into the ground and hung steel plates with chains. They have held up great for a year and I intend to try them on the rifle range soon they worked so well. Might need a backward brace leg or two but expect it to work fine with rifles. They are low cost and easy to install.

Other than that like Tazman said - Chuck and Nancy could hold them nicely and at least be useful for a change.

I have several 5/8ths AR500 targets on my private property, out to 750yds. I occasionally allow friends to come out and shoot, no matter how accurate the shooter, even a few Distinguished Rifle and Pistol shooters, they still hit the supports and break the chains occasionally.

That being said, any target design that uses a knuckle or support in the back of the target that angles it slightly down and allows it to rock is a winner.

1548751176623.png

If your range is opened to the public, you may as well buy T-posts by the pallet and expect to change them five times a day, unless you sandbag or railroad tie in front of them.

This goal is work in progress at my place. Right now I'm at two pieces of 8' or so 1/2" or so rebar heated with a torch in the middle to make a sharp V. Then a small piece of rebar (a few inches long) gets welded from leg to leg close to the bend. An additional piece of rebar serves as a cross member between two upside down Vs to hold the steel. The two support Vs then lean inward and sort of cinch the cross piece down. It's pretty stable in wind, is cheap, and it's unlikely that a knucklehead will hit the thin rebar that's pretty far away from the target anyways. You can even hang a couple targets from each stand if you get a stout enough cross piece. All in all it's a few bucks and about 10 minutes per target.

The weak point is what to use to hang the targets. Probably another piece of AR500 steel would be best, but I've used chains (that have been shot) and thick pieces of rubber (holding up great but will probably dry rot eventually).

Good luck!

Some people say fire hose will hold up well. I suppose the bolt attaching it is the weak link.

I use chains and C links. Sometimes they'll take a bullet, sometimes they'll break.

Hang Fast Targets makes a hanger that uses a T Post. The design protects the hanger and hardware from bullet damage. These targets are VERY reactive and have excellent sound.

This target array has a 24" 3/8" plate on the bottom.
It has been in place for 4 years without maintenance
and taken thousands of rounds.
Stacking the targets also protects the T post from "knuckleheads"

460 yard setup.jpg
460 yard target stack.jpg

This 12 inch plate is being hammered with 12 gauge slugs @ 25 yards

Last edited:
I use belts off a round baler. Chain always ends up getting shot. If you hang targets from a single belt or fire hose they really "dance", and you can easily call your wind by the direction they spin.

Fire hose is good. So are strips cut from rubber horse mats. I had designed a target set up for a club over a decade ago that was pretty much bulletproof. Targets hung by chains and the chains were subsequently covered by another piece of AR 500. Anything on the target face, ie, bolt heads, are another weak point.

Longevity depends on volume and quality of shooters. Targets are consumables.

That being said, I personally use Action Targets with their stands.