• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Time and Collecting Brass

mfyas420

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2012
Elgin,IL
I find when I am shooting I spend too much time worrying about the casing rather than my technique and results. With a bolt gun its easy, but with my RRA 308 they fly 7-10 feet out. So just curious what others are doing for a problem like this.

Re: Range Time and Collecting Brass

Just get a brass catcher, there are some that are freestanding and some that will attach to the picatinny rail. Take your pick.

Brass catcher...cardboard box or other "deflector" to direct the brass where it is more easily collected...heavier buffer/spring/carrier weight...mod your ejector spring...etc.

Here is one of the "nicer" brass catchers I have seen/used (albeit not on an LAR-8):

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/univbc.html

Wow, that's a real nice doojigger! Would probably save me a lot of time walking around collecting brass!

I use a hat that snaps in the rear and snap it around my scope and let it dangle by the ejection port. The brass ejects into the hat and rolls out under the rifle. Works good enough for me.

a hand towel draped over the scope, a brass catcher or a baseball hat hanging from the scope like sic65stang does works really well

i find the most damage from my brass deflector.... no problems anymore now that I'm using the "velcro" trick on the deflector. other than that, i just let the brass fly.... nothing my resizer can't handle.

Great ideas, I am going to try some out. I had a brass catcher, it caught about half of them and was more of a pain than it was worth. The range i go to has stations fairly close and there is always that one guy grabbing brass before it hits the ground. So i know I always miss some of mine. Just figured some people would have some "tricks' that work out. The hat idea sounds like a winner for my next trip. Thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mfyas420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...there is always that one guy grabbing brass before it hits the ground. So i know I always miss some of mine. </div></div>

Punch said guy in the head and make him stand beside your ejection port with the front of his pants pulled out to catch your brass.

I understand your concern because I too get bummed when I lose a piece of brass be it .45 or 30-06. I havent had to worry about the annoying seagull just that errant piece that cant be found in the grass.

This is the sad, seldom spoken of, dark side of being a reloader. You are not alone.

OH! I feel your pain. Seems to be a problem, with me, too. OCD? PTSD? TMFTSIR?{too much f---- time since I retired} What do they call it these days? I'm in the grass, lookin! Where's my brass? 10 min., for 1 shell, the last one, always. Saw one of those "Surplus sites". 1000 1 shots, for cheap. Maybe that would cure it?

Funny how this thread has appeared when I have been thinking of ideas to catch my brass as well. I was going to make a small rectangular frame with window screening for the brass to hit and fall next to me. Kinda like a back yard baseball screen. Just minature. Frame legs would be small but held down easily by the sand bags at range.

I was at the range a couple of days ago and the guy next to me was ejecting into a pelican case.. Thankfully, as the week before the guy next to me (different guy) was spraying ejected cases about my head and shoulders. I have tried the baseball cap with limited success. A boonie hat sinched with the chin strap cinched around the scope base worked better for me, but was hardly ideal.

This is the one I just got. I to am way to obsessed with my brass!
It has one fault that is addressed in the product reviews, that the brass gets stuck in the "fold" on top?
I take my AR after firing it and rotate it to is side and give it a quick shake and problem solved it just falls down in the bag.
Out of 200 new pieces I have only lost a couple pieces in six range trips. Works good enough for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579543/gmg-brass-catcher-ar-15-nylon-mesh-black

Well I'll be damn there is a picture of a net that looks like my idea on that site. Being obsessed with Brass is not bad considering the price of it here lately!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the one I just got. I to am way to obsessed with my brass!
It has one fault that is addressed in the product reviews, that the brass gets stuck in the "fold" on top?
I take my AR after firing it and rotate it to is side and give it a quick shake and problem solved it just falls down in the bag.
Out of 200 new pieces I have only lost a couple pieces in six range trips. Works good enough for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579543/gmg-brass-catcher-ar-15-nylon-mesh-black </div></div>

I've got one that is similar to this and have found that the nylon netting will melt to hot brass. I don't recommend this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use a towel over the scope or the hat snapped over the scope.</div></div> What he said.

I tried one of these "cheap" nets, but it just seemed to not fit my LAR-8 very well and i did notice a residue on some of the shells. I am going out this weekend and will try the towel/hat over the scope.

As far as "that guy" stealing brass, the last time it happened. The guy claimed it was his brass. I said so your Colt AR shoots 308? Very proudly he stated it was 556....awkward pause while trying not to laugh. I said take a look at the casings in your hand. I bet they have a Remington head stamp and are .308 not 556.

I don't think he picked up any more brass that day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mfyas420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as "that guy" stealing brass, the last time it happened. The guy claimed it was his brass. I said so your Colt AR shoots 308? Very proudly he stated it was 556....awkward pause while trying not to laugh. I said take a look at the casings in your hand. I bet they have a Remington head stamp and are .308 not 556.

I don't think he picked up any more brass that day. </div></div>

FAIL!