• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

range toolbox/supplies case

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have put off buying some type of hard case/toolbox for a long time, but am thinking about getting one now.

Want something decent sized but not huge, to keep a few cleaning supplies, tools, maybe some ammo/mags, etc in. Just to organize some of the crap that always seems to go to the range with me. Something that could double as bench storage/organizer at home would be nice too.

Looked at Brownell's but nothing really seemed to jump out at me. Curious what you guys are using. Thanks.

Eta- for what its worth, most all of my shooting anymore is with semi autos, so this is oriented toward AR's

Here is my "308 LR" box, it is a Craftsman 18" cantilever organizer, something like $24 at Sears. Craftsman 18 in. Cantilever Tool Box - Tools - Tool Storage - Portable Toolboxes

I can fit ammo, lens care, small tools earplugs, range notes, kestral, tiny tripod, bore snake, and my Leupold compact 15-30x50 spotter. I can not fit my entire range kit into this box, but I have a large range bag I was just tired of digging through it for the same crap every time I go to the field.

dsc06043i.jpg

dsc06041ja.jpg

Last edited:
Go to your local Menards or Home Depot and look at the contractor tool bags. I picked up one from Menards for about $30, has pouches perfect for AR magazines, I picked up a plastic divider tray for my brushes, misc tubes of grease, ect. Pistol cleaning rod, rifle bore guide goes in there, patches, solvents, range finder, ammo, You name it they work great.

Mine is black and yellow. Sorry it's not digi cammo :) but I'm not worried about blending in at the range.

Roggom-Thanks for the considerate response. And my issue is similar. I have a 3 day pack that has a bunch of crap and it sucks digging through it. And a regular range bag, but with muffs, bags, staple gun/staples, targets, ammo/mags, notebook, etc, etc it just seems I fill up.

Wanting to segregate out some told/cleaning supplies for easier access. Will check out your link. That looks good.

Last edited:
You might think about a 5 gall bucket with one of those bucket tool holders that fit inside and have pockets on the outside.

Hydro, your welcome, The thing I like most is that I can set it up right on my right side while prone. The top cantilevers back and I can reach in and grab more ammo. Also if I set it up correctly the tray on the bottom will catch my brass. I'm gonna look for a camera mount for the metal bar so I can set up my Sony Handicam, if not I might fabricate one.

BTW all of the little trays are modular, you can pull them out as needed.

Yup my range bag is my 25 yr old tool box I I painted camo. This was one of the best decisions I have made regarding shooting equipment. It hold everything including ammo. Sandbags earpro tools lube targets stapler. Pretty much covers every thing I need

Night eagle

I went with an 18" canvas tool bag from Harbor Freight to carry all the small items out to the range...(tape, staples, stapler, extra earplugs, bandages, ....) I also have a hard tool box to carry cleaning rods, brushes, oil, solvent, .....it all comes down to what we feel comfortable using, and what works for us.

Go to uline.com and look at their totes. The round trip version is available in various sizes. I use a larger one the holds all my range gear. I leave it partially loaded so I don't forget the essentials.

For a range bag, my rifle bag is an Oakley Kitchen Sink. My pistol bag is a Sig Sauer bag that has elastic loops for 18 magazines and more storage than I could ever want.

Cleaning supplies/tools are in a large plastic toolbox.

It's worked pretty good for me to put all of my tools and cleaning supplies in a fishing tackle box, and then everything else in a midway range bag. Just an idea.