• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range trip with GAP and OPS 3rd

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
Today was the first day that I had a chance to shoot the Crusader after getting it back from GAP.

It was an absolutely beautiful day and we finally got rain which got things nice and green.

POI shift was only .5mils which is pretty damn nice since they cut the thing down 20" and profiled it for me as well.

Felt recoil was reduced and I didn't really shoot it for accuracy, just 2 3 round groups to rezero and we headed to 1000yds where I screwed myself. I completely forgot about the velocity change from getting the gun cut down. I had a couple of skips that hit around the target and caused me basically waste my first 15 shots before I took a second and thought about it.

I was having a hard time today with the mirage and the target was angled downward due to the wooded rod bending so I was presented with a dark target that I could only see about 8" of. I was dancing around the sucker and I should have moved to the 10" gong but was hard headed and stuck at that one. When we got down to the berm, you could see that I basically shot all around the thing, all of my rounds were in about a 13" group in the dirt right behind the target.

Obligatory pictures

The range from the hill
range.jpg

The hill after adding a couple more feet to it
hill.jpg

hill2.jpg

The guns

GAP
gap.jpg

gap2.jpg

JP MOR
jp.jpg

jp2.jpg

Targets through S&B 3-12
scope.jpg

scope2.jpg

And a random picture from when i was looking for my ear pro that I thought I had dropped
path.jpg

VID, sorry about the radio in the back ground but it gives a good indicator as to how much the suppressor works

Video

Re: Range trip with GAP and OPS 3rd

Very nice! I was also noticing some mirage yesterday even all the way down on 8 power. Anyone know what can be done to cut down on mirage?

Looks good! The can makes quite a difference. Sucks about the first 15 rounds, but it looks like you had a beautiful day and range to shoot at.

Nice range, I'm jealous of all the nice space you got in Texas.

I wouldn't sweat the 15 wingers, at least you weren't at a packed range where everyone could see and shooting a more expensive round.

thanks y'all

Eh I still felt stupid about not thinking about it first.

And the range is my friend's. I'm really lucky that he lets me shoot out there.

Cool! Keep up the good work. I'm glad that someone at Champions knows what they are talking about LOL.

Man, 600 got boringly easy and I hoesntly didn't think that 1000yds would be this big of a challenge. But now that I got things some what figured out I can't wait to get back out there. This was only my 2nd time at 1000. I'm building up a 300WM but don't know when it'll be done and with summer approaching I don't think the 5.5-22NXS will do me much good at 22X with our awesome mirage.

damn thats nice. Crusader is on my dream list of guns to own.

Now the real question.

How much Shiner and brisket do I need to buy to get an invite down that way!

Sweeeet. I had forgotton how much I love Texas, but hate fire ants when shooting prone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilsvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, 600 got boringly easy and I hoesntly didn't think that 1000yds would be this big of a challenge. But now that I got things some what figured out I can't wait to get back out there. This was only my 2nd time at 1000. I'm building up a 300WM but don't know when it'll be done and with summer approaching I don't think the 5.5-22NXS will do me much good at 22X with our awesome mirage. </div></div>

Once you get out past 600 with a .308, that is where wind calls get mucho important. Your nightforce will serve you well as long as you shoot before 8-9am LOL (plus it will be somewhat bearable). I've been shooting my .22's more than my big boys as of late to save some on ammo costs. It's great that you have got a place to shoot to 1,000 yards. I've only got 800 yards on my steel range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Once you get out past 600 with a .308, that is where wind calls get mucho important. Your nightforce will serve you well as long as you shoot before 8-9am LOL (plus it will be somewhat bearable). I've been shooting my .22's more than my big boys as of late to save some on ammo costs. It's great that you have got a place to shoot to 1,000 yards. I've only got 800 yards on my steel range. </div></div>

I'm not looking foward to the heat and the wind was blowing at maybe ~5 and I could see it in the mirage but it was constantly shifting by 15* or so.

and I've been shooting a lot of .22 as well. I built up a Spikes .22 AR so I can get some trigger time in doing transition drills, shooting on the move, and multiple target drills. Hell, I built up a sako quad that i've been shooting the most. I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds of .22 then go shoot maybe 20rds through the centerfire.

How do you like your JP MOR-07? I have been considering one of there stocks, but, I can't seem to find anyone who has ever shot one. What are your thoughts?

Matt

Nice setup. You gotta love a private range. Especially for the privacy when you screw up.

The cheek piece on the MOR needs to go further forward esp if it's elevated. But I didn't get a chance to send any rounds down range.

And I was cursing myself the entire time.