• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinder Binoculars Field Tests & Review

calz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
For the past 3 months I've been testing virtually every ranging binocular on the market in a variety of real-world scenarios, to see which had the best performance in the field in terms of both optical clarity and ranging capabilities. I tried to have a purely objective, data-driven approach, so the results are based on over 10,000 data points collected from the field. Here's the lineup:

• Vectronix Vector 23
  • Vectronix Terrapin
  • Leica Geovid HD-B
  • Leica Geovid HD
  • Zeiss Victory RF
  • Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile
  • Bushnell Fusion 1600
  • Leupold RX-1000i TBR
The Swarovski EL Range is the only pair of rangefinding binoculars I’m aware of that wasn’t included … but it wasn’t for lack of effort. I talked to Swarovski multiple times trying to convince them to be part of this. I spent hours explaining the comprehensive line-up I’d compiled, and even detailed the field tests I was planning to run through with each pair. I answered every question they asked, and they still declined to be part of it.

I thought I'd share the biggest take-aways from the results here on the hide. If you're interested in more detail or seeing how the testing was conducted read the full review at Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Read the full review at Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Last edited:
That is really great, thanks for sharing.

I don't think I'll be getting the Vectronix Vector 23 ... just checked prices: $24,000.

Yeah, top of the line military grade rangefinders aren't cheap.

Particularly when they are mostly sold to the government, which pays hundreds of dollars for a hammer.

:)

Would have loved to see how the Swaro compared. Looks like the Leica or Zeiss is going on the Christmas list. Thanks for the comparison.

Calz,

Good review, But...

I am glad you detailed other user’s comments on the 10x fusion 1600 in your summary. With my pair, I have the ranging ability on 2 moa targets 50% or more (more like 80-90%) at 1000 and 100% at 900. This on bright sunny days at the range on white painted steel circles... The only down side to it is all related to personal preference, such as glass quality and narrow field of view when compared to what I am used too. I think your fusion test sample was bad... as the thing outperforms my 8x42 Swarovski EL Range 90% of the time when comparing only range finding abilities.

Last edited:
I agree with Niles Coyote. My 1600 ARC binos perform much better than your test sample suggests. I have to assume that the unit you tested wss defective.

Calz, my inner scientist appreciates your data-driven approach to your review. I wish this was more the norm than the exception.

I've been quite happy with my Bushnell 1 Mile ARCs. Glass has been fine for the purpose and the range finder is quite good. Even the built in ballistics computer is pretty decent out to about 800 yards. Even at 1000 yards I wouldn't want to be standing downrange of someone ranging me with it and using the computed elevation!

For the next version I'd love to have a way to put in a G7 BC and muzzle velocity for the integrated computer. That would be a killer product.

Last edited:
For the next version I'd love to have a way to put in a G7 BC and muzzle velocity for the integrated computer. That would be a killer product.

Man, I'm with you! The Leica HD-B's allow you to put in custom ballistics, but only with a G1 BC. When I saw them this past year at SHOT, that was my first question for the Leica rep. It was a disappointing answer, but they didn't seem bothered by it at all. For shots beyond 1,000 yards ... comparing a modern, long-range bullet to the standard G1 projectile simply can't give you an accurate ballistic curve. Running the ballistics in JBM for the load I shoot using a G1 BC and a G7 BC will give you a difference over 1 minute at 1,200 yards. That means the trajectory adjustment it suggests would be off by 14". That's enough to miss a shot. Then at 1 mile, its exaggerated even more with a difference of 2.5 MOA, which means your impact would be off by 46 inches! I have to believe one of those manufacturers will do it at some point. My bet is on Bushnell or Leica.