• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinder recommendation: Leica 2800 vs Sig Kilo 5k

cueva

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2024
Gladstone, OR
Newish hunter looking for a good rangefinder, more of a buy once cry once situation but also don’t want to spend over $1k. Western hunting and probably won’t ever shoot past 700 yards with a .308. Debating on either a sig kilo 5k (found a deal on one for $450 used) or would buy a Leica 2800.com used. Not trying to spend that much on one, but also want what’s best. I hear with the sig you don’t need a kestrel up to 800yd and with the Leica you do past 500yd or at all times or something Is this true? Unsure which to buy would appreciate any feedback, thanks! I know Revic br4 is probably the best but a bit too pricey for me

Reactions: Alcanino
I'd say the Sig was my top pick. It just seemed better overall, except for maybe the glass quality the Leica definitely had that beat.

Newish hunter looking for a good rangefinder, more of a buy once cry once situation but also don’t want to spend over $1k. Western hunting and probably won’t ever shoot past 700 yards with a .308. Debating on either a sig kilo 5k (found a deal on one for $450 used) or would buy a Leica 2800.com used. Not trying to spend that much on one, but also want what’s best. I hear with the sig you don’t need a kestrel up to 800yd and with the Leica you do past 500yd or at all times or something Is this true? Unsure which to buy would appreciate any feedback, thanks! I know Revic br4 is probably the best but a bit too pricey for me
I'm the same way, over the yrs I the latest and greatest but always never get the best potential out.if them, especially when you have to connect and download something new to make it work better.
I wish one of the shooting organizations would put a trial Shootout between the products available out there, similar to what the Can Con does twice a yr. That is come tryout everything under the sun, & moon and see what suits you. That's how I decided and chose my suppressors last fall in Georgia. Now someone should do the same with optics - on & off the gun.

Reactions: 1AvgMarksman
I'm the same way, over the yrs I the latest and greatest but always never get the best potential out.if them, especially when you have to connect and download something new to make it work better.
I wish one of the shooting organizations would put a trial Shootout between the products available out there, similar to what the Can Con does twice a yr. That is come tryout everything under the sun, & moon and see what suits you. That's how I decided and chose my suppressors last fall in Georgia. Now someone should do the same with optics - on & off the gun.
You’re not wrong.. I think optics are a little more complicated tho.. I will look through my Razor glass, and see a difference between my Swarovski.. I hand them over to a buddy, they look the same. There must be some technical way to measure the differences.. That’s what I would like to see. (I think that’s what you’re after also?) I just don’t know the process.

You’re not wrong.. I think optics are a little more complicated tho.. I will look through my Razor glass, and see a difference between my Swarovski.. I hand them over to a buddy, they look the same. There must be some technical way to measure the differences.. That’s what I would like to see. (I think that’s what you’re after also?) I just don’t know the process.
Can’t lie I don’t see much of a difference between my friend’s Razor and my Swarovski

Can’t lie I don’t see much of a difference between my friend’s Razor and my Swarovski
It’s difficult, for sure. Chromatic aberration is the biggest difference I see. A little better definition/contrast in low light. I did let go of my Razor binos, but my scopes aren’t going anywhere. The difference is so minimal for most, the Razor glass will work for everything I do. I did look at how to test optics for what we’re wanting, and the equipment is about $100k to do scientific like.. Some ppl get pretty creative comparing optics on YT and other forums. I run the Vortex Razor HD 4000 rangefinder. I do find myself using as a monocular more and more..