• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rangefinders allowed in tac match?

Re: Rangefinders allowed in tac match?

I can't speak for matches held everywhere, but I've never shot a tactical where LRF's were allowed. It sorta wouldn't be a tactical match with them, as unknown range targets add difficulty, and field ranging with your reticle is a useful skill that requires practice as well as practical application.

But I'm sure somewhere, they have been allowed, but that just makes tac shooting more of an equipment race, than skills competition.

JMHO,

Bob

Yes they are usually allowed, some stages are mildot ranged targets to make you use the skill.

? if your taking away proper tools you might as well say No Turrets allowed and duplex scopes and hold overs only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes they are usually allowed, some stages are mildot ranged targets to make you use the skill.

? if your taking away proper tools you might as well say No Turrets allowed and duplex scopes and hold overs only.

</div></div>

Pat M,

That's interesting, maybe an east coast vs west coast thing??? If you going to allow an LRF to be used, why not just tell the shooters the known range to the target, then your not putting the shooter without an LRF, or a broken one at a disadvantage. What I mean is with an LRF their is no skill needed to determining the targets range, just batteries.

On the other hand, reticles, turrets, and a mildot master, do not require batteries, but do require skills to use them effectively.

My opinion only, if we were to shoot all tactical matches with LRF's or known range targets, we might as well just call it F-class.
smile.gif

As an illustration of east vs west, here a course being given here locally:

Advanced Mil-Dot Training

Bob

I have yet to shoot a match that disallows their use entirely. Now, I've shot certain stages where you are forced to use your reticle to determine distance, but I've never seen LRFs disallowed other than on those stages (maybe 1 stage per match in most matches here.)

For timed events a LRF works best, if you have to mil range it, extra time is needed for getting a steady set up & calculating.

Just a matter of the rules for the game your setting up, tight time limits- generous time , shooting sticks - bipod only, carry all your shit - get what you need out of your truck for each stage, .338 ok - no magnums .

As long as the players have an idea what is needed (baseball mitt isn't going to work well at a hockey game)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My opinion only, if we were to shoot all tactical matches with LRF's or known range targets, we might as well just call it F-class.
smile.gif
</div></div>

KD targets for the most part are to save time and when the range is limited (everyone knows the distances anyway). Here in AZ, we want to try to get done just prior to everyone having heat stroke!
smile.gif
We make it challenging by limiting the time and varying the shooting positions. I can't remember shooting an F-class match where I was required to shoot from 5 different positions with a mag change under a specified time. I'm new to the game, and would LOVE to do some UKD matches.

used to be lasers were an expensive item.

some matches give you the option ...if you got lasers then use them on EVERY stage and no ranging,,,,,,,trouble then is (these guys are not stupid)...more than half the targets are hidden out in the broom weed with no other item to laze....in the very bright sunlight........can you guess what happens then??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more than half the targets are hidden out in the broom weed with no other item to laze....in the very bright sunlight........can you guess what happens then??</div></div>

Or deep in the woods were you have a box that has to be shot from and there's only one loop hole for the bullet an none for the laser. Except those that allow ranging twigs that are + or -, 75-150 yds either way of the target. Then he throw's in none reflective paint and jack's the target on an angle, but wait that tree is right there,...an the clock keeps ticking down,...