• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinders. Which one ?

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
Considering several rangefinders currently in the px and looking for opinions and preferences.

sig kilo 6k
Sig bdx 3000
Kilo 2400 bdx
Fury 5000hd

I'd consider a Leica 3500.com also but I didn't see that currently in the px.

I dont really hunt at distances that would require a rangefinder but I want to reliably range steel from 1k to 1,500 yards. My og kilo just isn't up to it.

I do have a kestrel 5700 elite but Bluetooth isn't a deal breaker. It would be nice though.

Reactions: Grubber
Trying to keep it at or under 1k. Just had my second kid and my oldest will be starting school soon. And I've got a rifle build ongoing but, I'm doing that myself, mostly out of parts I had, so it's kind of low budget. Kind of. I think I've spent more on tooling than gun parts.

Trying to keep it at or under 1k. Just had my second kid and my oldest will be starting school soon. And I've got a rifle build ongoing but, I'm doing that myself, mostly out of parts I had, so it's kind of low budget. Kind of. I think I've spent more on tooling than gun parts.

Check out Vortex's new RAZOR HD 4000 GB in stock $799.99 Razor HD 4000 with GeoBallistics for well under $1,000. We have a demo model for less as well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K
Check out Vortex's new RAZOR HD 4000 GB in stock $799.99 Razor HD 4000 with GeoBallistics for well under $1,000. We have a demo model for less as well :)

How does it do as a stand alone vs pairing with a kestrel ? I don't know anything about GB.

SIG 5K, SIG 5k, and the SIG 5K. price is great and you could not want one thing more from a rangefinder. I use it weekly without issue to my kestrel.

I picked up the HD 4000 with GB from CsTactical. Going to see how it does. It will link with the kestrel for environmental info or I can just use the kestrel for ballistics or use the GB in the rangefinder. We'll see how it works out.

Either way, @CSTactical was good to deal with and I just got a tracking number so it's on its way.

• Love
Reactions: CSTactical
Sportsman's Warehouse had a sale last week on several range finders. Sig Kilo 3K and 5K were some offered.....

I would recommend that you stick to bino syle range finders. They are far easier to use when holding them by hand. I compared the Vortex 4000 to the Kilo 3K, and the Kilo was miles better. I can not find the specs for the Vortex Furry laser beam divergence. I think that the Kilo6K 10x42 is the best thing going right now, especially for the money.

Reactions: carbonbased
I recently bought a Maven RF.1 (Range Finder) RF.1 - 7-25/ 5-4500 YD. It has many features, is priced right and even comes with an unlimited lifetime warranty. I believe they even have demo models you can try out for 2 weeks. I am very satisfied. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scopeye

I have this rangefinder and really like it. I did have to return one to Vortex for "rapid battery drain", but as usual they have great service and replaced it immediately.

For the OP, you can use it with your Kestrel, or standalone, or with the phone app. I don't have a Kestrel, but do use it with the phone app. I've found it really accurate just used at the range so far and ranged items/targets out to 1200 yard. It gives you a nice built-in "ballistic mode" aiming solution that will calculate for inclines.

Reactions: CSTactical
I have this rangefinder and really like it. I did have to return one to Vortex for "rapid battery drain", but as usual they have great service and replaced it immediately.

For the OP, you can use it with your Kestrel, or standalone, or with the phone app. I don't have a Kestrel, but do use it with the phone app. I've found it really accurate just used at the range so far and ranged items/targets out to 1200 yard. It gives you a nice built-in "ballistic mode" aiming solution that will calculate for inclines.
Used mine last weekend. Once trued up it put us on at 1,070 yards with my 300winmag and out to 320 with a 22lr. So far I'm digging it. Ranged trees out to 1,220 as quick as you could hit the button. Haven't paired it with my kestrel yet but I did use it with the app.

I've found that the app works pretty well. In terms of the software and user interface, it's a bit of a clunky design and could be a little more user friendly. But it works. I need to get some more profiles loaded into it.

I have not played with it yet, but there is a video on that exact topic :)

I have the non-gb version of this range finder, basically same thing minus BC app, and it is great. I like the BC I already use..yes its on my phone so one extra device..but I wasnt interested in learning Geoballistics.

If you're ranging to hunt, look at reviews of performance in colder weather (many struggle) and how waterproof it is.

Aside from the vortex, as someone mentioned, the Maven Rf1 would have been my first choice, if the vortex wasnt on sale at the time.

They even have a demo program. https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/demo-units/products/demo-unit-rf-1

Sig 6k binos, great laser, decent glass and will Bluetooth to your kestrel. I think retail is about $1200.

Buy from brands that offer a real no excuses NO BS lifetime warranty including their electronics such as Vortex, Burris, Athlon and Maven. This way you aren't buying disposable throw away electronic equipment after their limited 1 year to 5 year warranty expires and SIG only has a 5 year warranty from date of manufacture NOT ACTUAL DATE OF PURCHASE which goes by serial number so your SIG that's already been sitting in a warehouse for years or old stock dealers' backroom inventory might already be expired and you don't know until you have to send it in if it's already expired and SIG has no intention to repair out of warranty electronics. When you buy a used SIG it may probably already be out of warranty. There's sellers still selling their used SIG rangefinders stating they have a lifetime warranty which is untrue at least not for their electronics.

Bushnell appears to have some of the shortest limited warranty at only one year on their brand products with electronics such as their rangefinders, rangefinder binoculars, red dots, illuminated reticle in their scopes, trail cams, night vision, thermal, etc... Even if they may state ironclad or lifetime it's not for their electronics.

This is my limited experience. I purchased an outstanding set of Zeiss 8x45 RF Binos. They were awesome and worked for 13+ plus years before the electronics crapped out. Yes 13 years is a super long time, but it's not like I was using them everyday or even 2-3 times a month. I sent them back to Zeiss to see what they could do. Zeiss gave me an estimate of $1100.00+ to re-build the electronics. They originally cost me $2200.00 way back when. I figured why spend $1100.00 to get them back up and running. The technology has advanced at such a rapid rate (my Zeiss 1800yrds) that i thought, why not go with some less expensive but with the newer range finder tech. My new Maven's (4500yrds) cost $450.00 with unlimited lifetime warranty including the electronics. I kept the Ziess to use as a bino only (outstanding glass).

There are no right or wrong answers. Just have to weigh the cost, quality, convenience (RF only vs RF bino vs RF or RF bino that communicates with kestrel) and longevity of the product.

Good luck with your decision