• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rangefinders: Zeiss vs. Swaro

XL Mammal

Red Five
Minuteman
May 17, 2005
TX
Alright fellas. I got tired of waiting for someone to compare the Zeiss PRF and the Swaro, so I went ahead and ordered both from gr8fuldoug (CameralandNY). First off, these were both demo units, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend others to go this route if they want to save a few bucks. I can't tell that they're not brand new. They look perfect and even smell new. Actually, I need to check my credit card statement and make sure they did, in fact, charge me for demos. They're that pristine.

The skinny:

* Size is about the same. Zeiss is a little lighter.

* Glass is really good on both. I can't tell a difference. It's what you would expect from these two premier companies. Non-factor in my opinion.

* Reticle on the Zeiss is WAY better. I had no issue with the size of the Swaro reticle like others have noticed. However, the reticle on the Swaro is not anywhere near as crisp as the Zeiss. I'd compare the Swaro to the fuzzy reticle on an Eotech, where the Zeiss would be like an illuminated USO or such. What's much worse with the Swaro is how it fades if your eye drifts from center. It gets very annoying. The Zeiss is clear and bright and always right there.

* Ranging: I can say definitively that the Swaro ranges better than the Zeiss. No doubt about it. How much better I can't yet say. Unfortunately, Fedex came right before sunset, so I wasn't able to get much time testing today. However, the farthest I was able to range with the Zeiss was a little over 1300m on a house. The Swaro was hitting houses well past 1800m, and I was able to hit one at 1967m. More impressively, I was hitting tree tops at 1600m+. I did notice some erroneous readings at longer distances with the Swaro. This was mostly on a tanker sitting out in Chesapeake Bay. I got hits ranging from 1500m+ to a little over 400m, and everywhere in between. Most of the time it wouldn't range. Probably issues with having a reflective surface at an angle to the unit. Also, I suspect the short readings were probably coming off of waves, which, would be impressive in itself. However, the Zeiss either ranged targets over the water either immediately or not at all (never hit the tanker but did hit small boats, old remnants of piers, etc. to 1000m). For those of you who haven't handled these two units, there's actually something reassuring about this characteristic with the Zeiss. Even though it doesn't range as far, when it does range it is instant and reliable.

My initial impression: if you need an LRF for .308 botlface-type rounds the Zeiss is awesome. Thinking about ranging for 7WSM, .300/.338+ chamberings consider the Swaro.

Bottom line: anyone who compares these side by side will want the Zeiss unit with Swaro ranging capabilities. Not definitive help, I know, but the honest truth.

This is just a very short, dirty review of two top rangefinders. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play with them more this weekend. If you're in the Virginia Beach area this weekend and want to give these a test run, kick me a PM. I'll be happy to let you have a look. I'll be in DC next weekend.

Also, let me know if you have any specific questions you'd like to have addressed.

Disclaimer: Second half of this was typed after a night out with an old Navy buddy who I hadn't seen in 8 years. If something I've said doesn't make sense don't hesitate to point it out...I won't be offended in the least.

Hope this helps.

Re: Rangefinders: Zeiss vs. Swaro

Thanks for the review!

If one were wanting to range game animals out to 1000 the zeiss would do that? Any chanch you could try small targets, say deer, tree stumps or something small and non reflective.

NC, I have a hunting trip coming up in TX in early Nov. I'll be able, hopefully, to range some deer then. Pretty sure it would range stumps at 1000, since I was hitting tree trunks and the pillars of an old pier at that range.

I can tell you that I doubt that you will get a reading on game out to 1000yds with the Zeiss. I have had mine since last November and have used it on a few hunts. I recall ranging prairie dogs at 300+yds, prairie dog mounds at 500yds, deer at 700+yds, cows and such at 900+yds, houses/trailers/vehicles out to 1300+yds. I hunted pronghorn last weekend with my best friend, who owns a Lecia CRF 1200. While the ranging capabilities were similar, the glass in my Zeiss was noticeably brighter than the Lecia.
All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase of the Zeiss PRF, but I'm seriously considering selling to consolidate my optics to ranging binoculars.

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to post it.
Yes, those were taken from the demo section. Lots of times new gear gets sent to indoor trade shows and sit in a showcase and rarely handled thru the weekend events so they show hardly any, if any, handling. It is a great way to save a few $$$

I can not compare to the Zeiss but I have had my swaro for about a year now. I also got a demo unit from gr8fuldoug (CameralandNY). I also highly reccommend going that route as I could not tell my unit from new at all.

I have been well pleased with the swaro. The most impressive range was a little over 1900 yards on a cloud. I know, sounds crazy. I actually read on here someone else doing it and got to playing around with it. It did it. Ranged a cloud!

I can say that I have handled a Leica CRF and really liked the size. Seemed to be a little more ergo friendly also when hitting the button. I do not however have any time ranging with one.

I borrowed a Swaro from another member on here for a review I am working on.

I wish I could have gotten a Zeiss in to round them out, but I didn't have the cash at the time to purchase one.

I was incredibly impressed with the Swaro. I wish I still had it for the stalking phase of the school I am in. The glass alone would be a HUGE benefit over the Bushnell I am using.

Interesting write up,Thanks.

My complaints about the Swaro were exactly as you stated.

Yes the Swaro does seem a bit dated but it sure ranges well.

They need to come out with a new model!

Steve

The Lieca 1200 is what I was issued and currently using. I heard great things about the unit prior to receiving the device. It is compact and a nice unit but I have a hard time ranging objects out past 900. This includes buildings. Im not that impressed with the unit in my opinion.

The Swaro outdid the Leica in my testing. On a white 15x20" steel plate at 825 yards the Swaro would range it right away. The Leica could only get it about 1 out of 4 tries and had some erroneous readings mixed in. I also like the reticle in the Swaro much better.

The Leica wins in the "compact" department though. It's the only LRF I would buy that can fit in a shirt pocket. The glass was also nice and clear.

The Leica will range targets past 1000, but only if you can stabilize the unit properly. Because of it's size it's hard to hold it still. I jam it sideways on the rifle stock leaning against the scope.

Thanks for the review...I've been biting my lip hoping someone would take the plunge. Has any one used the Zeiss bino with the rangefinder in it? I'm considering selling my 8x30 Swaro prf and getting into a pair of rangefinding binos, I've used the Leica Geovids but I'm curious if the Zeiss Victory is a better unit.

How bout Leica vs Swaro....those are the best out there. I think Leica is outstanding: either as a standalone unit or combined with the binos

I was playing around with my Leicas today and a dense flock of geese flew over. I was able to get consistent, easy hits all the way to 480 before they passed over the treetops. As long as there were 3-4 geese together, I could hit them. A little off topic, but I was pretty impressed with the Geovids.

Rem700, yes the Swaro 8x30.

Scooter, I don't have any experience with the Leica, but I wouldn't remove the Zeiss from the conversation. It's a pretty nice unit.

I like everything about it better than Swaro save the ranging capability. Important, I know, but I don't think anything in this price range will get within several hundred yards of the Swaro for max ranging. I was getting hits past 1900m, and it was windy. I was having a tough time holding it steady.