• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Rangefinding Bino Help

Smokin7s

Lawyer, Astronaut, Pathological Liar
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
So I sold my 3000bdx because I wasn’t happy with glass quality and in my head I think the perfect combo would be 15x Binos with a laser at least as good and fast as the one in my Sigs.

So I bought an older set of el range swaros and was seriously underwhelmed. The laser worked about half as far as the Sigs and 3x as slow, the glass was an improvement but the range finder was a hindrance.

So I see sig came out with the 10k but I can’t imagine a crazy glass improvement and it seems like it has a LOT going on inside I think the ballistics from AB would be cool but I’m not sure that I need everything it offers especially if the glass is similar.

So what I’m hoping to find here is a do it all pair of Binos I hunt a lot, so I really want my spotter and rangefinder in one. But, I shoot matches too so I’d like a little more zoom and glass quality for mirage and such. I see Leica has a 15x geovid rangefinder but it’s cheaper than their 10x 3200.com which makes me nervous.

I’ve looked at zeiss, swaro, and Leica does anybody know what I’m looking for here I hate to compromise with what this stuff cost and the obvious answer seems like buy a spotter and rangefinder separate but all in one would be so much handier for what I do. Any help or leads are appreciated a ballistic solver in the binos is fine and also fine without if the glass quality and ranging ability is there. Somebody guide me my googling thumbs are tired.

I have done a bit of research and the Zeiss with Bluetooth capability is the only one that seems to compete with the Swaro in glass. I have a gen2 El Range, and I like them a ton but lack of linking them with a solver like kestrel of phone has me looking at a different bino myself

Get an 8k with swaro binos then.

From what I am aware of, the LED display wouLd look horrendous on 15x. If you recall on your 3k; you either focused on the LED HUD, or the sight picture. You can't have both with the current tech.

I am really liking the Sig Kilo 10X. Not yet available for sale, but keep an eye on that model. Superior range finding laser, and great connectivity to other devices.

I have been using the Leica 3200.coms and been really impressed with both the glass and ranging ability. I have a friend that has also been using the same leica 3200.com and he also was very happy. He just got the newest swaro rf bino and says he may like it a tad more than the 3200.com but he did say the difference was not huge. He’s still comparing the two (glass and ranging) to decide which he will use.
The only complaint with the 3200.coms (both of us agree) is there is a steep learning curve to getting them setup to range and give a good solution. But once you figure it out that becomes a nonissue.
Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: Smokin7s
I am really liking the Sig Kilo 10X. Not yet available for sale, but keep an eye on that model. Superior range finding laser, and great connectivity to other devices.
I’m holding out for reviews on it and hopeful it’s GTG.
I need more range finder horsepower than my current LRF has and I hope the 10k fills that need.

Get an 8k with swaro binos then.

From what I am aware of, the LED display wouLd look horrendous on 15x. If you recall on your 3k; you either focused on the LED HUD, or the sight picture. You can't have both with the current tech.
but if I’m watching a clearing and a coyote pops out at distance I don’t have time to swap to a rangefinder from my Binos.

Reactions: frost1235
but if I’m watching a clearing and a coyote pops out at distance I don’t have time to swap to a rangefinder from my Binos.
I’m with you on this one, plus it’s easier to make sure you’re lined up on what you’re actually trying to range with good glass and 10-15x magnification.

I had the 10x42 Geovids and upgraded to the 3200.COMs because I wasn’t getting reliable ranging out past 800 yards or so; it could happen with ideal circumstances, but I wanted better reliability in the RF. The glass appears identical to me, and as a hunter the onboard ballistics (including shot angle) is brilliant. Just got a 3300-yd return off a grassy slope two days ago, I’ve been very pleased with them.

Can’t compare them to anything else though, sorry.

I’m with you on this one, plus it’s easier to make sure you’re lined up on what you’re actually trying to range with good glass and 10-15x magnification.

I had the 10x42 Geovids and upgraded to the 3200.COMs because I wasn’t getting reliable ranging out past 800 yards or so; it could happen with ideal circumstances, but I wanted better reliability in the RF. The glass appears identical to me, and as a hunter the onboard ballistics (including shot angle) is brilliant. Just got a 3300-yd return off a grassy slope two days ago, I’ve been very pleased with them.

Can’t compare them to anything else though, sorry.
So you think the laser in the geovid r is the drawback

So you think the laser in the geovid r is the drawback
That was my take, yep, but I had the 2200’s. I never tried the 3000’s, so those might have fixed the issue too. I think a big “selling point” on the 3200.COMs is the connectivity, but I don’t use that at this point.

That was my take, yep, but I had the 2200’s. I never tried the 3000’s, so those might have fixed the issue too. I think a big “selling point” on the 3200.COMs is the connectivity, but I don’t use that at this point.
And it’s a cool idea but idk if I would either the vortex with ab is a cool idea but I don’t want to sacrifice glass for technology… again.

My buddy has the 8x56 Leicas. Pretty nice all around.

I have a suspicion something new is on the horizon and I would imagine improvements with connectivity follow. I’d be buying the 3200s if I didn’t think something was looming.

With the new riflescope, I would expect to be seeing something from Zeiss.

I've owned the el range and now have the Leica 3000 in 10x. Shopped around for weeks and demoed everything out there. For my eyes, the swaros were the best followed by zeiss, then leica. For laser and ranging ability it was zeiss followed by leica and swaro way behind. For price it was leica, swaro, zeiss.
Go compare them all side by side. If price is no concern the zeiss are pretty amazing in every way. The Leica have horrible resale for some reason so you can get them quite cheap if you look. Camera land has demos from time to time as well

I think I’m gonna try a set of the leica 3200.com 10x42 and maybe buy a full on spotter down the road to fill that gap if needed.

We just wrapped up an eastern WA mule deer season, and I debated the spotter since my pack was heavier than I wanted and that’s a quick 5 lbs I could drop. However, I carried it, and even though multiple days it didn’t come out of the pack it’s really useful in those rare-but-not-never scenarios where binos don’t cut it. Stuff like deciding is that deer-looking thing a rack or just a bush (was a bush every time 😭) is nice, and I think I’ll be using it more in the future to find bedded deer in the sage brush. Binos are almost utterly useless for that past about 700 yards for me so far, but I’m hoping the spotter helps me crack the code. I’m unsure if it will though, because it’s much more physically demanding to glass through my Vortex Razor HD spotter than the Leicas. Being monocular is part of it, but the clarity on the Leicas feels effortless after being in the spotter.

I might try a binocular spotter at some point to try to get easier glassing, but I can definitely say skip the angled spotters and go for the straight profile, it’s vastly easier to orient.

ETA: And even more importantly, you don’t have to change your tripod height to switch between binos and straight spotter, which is huge for tripods with no center column.

Reactions: Smokin7s
I am a very satisfied owner of the Zeiss Victory RF 8x54

The built in rangefinder seems to be limited only by my ability to keep it steady.

Handheld I've ranged birds on the surface of the sea out to 558 meters and targets on land out to around 1000 meters.

I use it for hunting, not for extreme long-range shooting competitions. Therefore I rarely if ever use it on a tripod or similar support.

I am a very satisfied owner of the Zeiss Victory RF 8x54

The built in rangefinder seems to be limited only by my ability to keep it steady.

Handheld I've ranged birds on the surface of the sea out to 558 meters and targets on land out to around 1000 meters.

I use it for hunting, not for extreme long-range shooting competitions. Therefore I rarely if ever use it on a tripod or similar support.
I have the same model. The glass is very good, not Swaro EL good but above most everything else on the market. Like you say 8x is not really enough magnification for use in PRS.

Zeiss makes a 10x54 which I prefer. If they made a 12x50 I would jump to that.

OP the old Leica Geovid R 15x56 is the closest thing to quality glass, 15x magnification and rangefinder with solver. It is an older model though and will be limited in ranging distance.

I am very happy with my older generation 8x45 Zeiss range finding binos. The glass is top teir and ranges out to 1800 yrs.

Don't know or care
I just want it to be able to range rock, trees and berms at 4000ish yards.
I sure hope they’ve improved the glass that was a big draw back towards a dual purpose if I didn’t want good glass I’d just buy a straight rangefinder talked to Doug at cameraland this morning and I think the 3200.com is going to be the answer for me