• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinding Binos

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I'm looking to upgrade from my Bushnell 1 mie ARC binos which for the price have been pretty decent for the past 5 years.

Been looking at the new Leica Geovid 3200 Com, Swarovski El Range, and the Zeiss Victory.

I'd prefer something with really good mobile app integration which I think Leica has fairly dialed but I saw the one review with the new 3500 Com rangefinder having poor bluetooth integration. Which honestly in today's tech industry should be easy to implement properly.

What else should I be looking at? They will be used for hunting and for some tactical comps when possible. Budget is $5k.

I own a pair of the Zeiss Victory RF 10x42’s and love them. Glass is amazing, and the RF consistently gets out to 2300-2500 yds easily and quickly. I have ranged objects out to 2700 but it’s spotty. The mobile app is a good and what makes it better is you can upload your data to the Binos and then leave the phone at home. Internal ALT / Temp / Angle sensors in the RF will adjust your loaded dope based off your current reading and give you your corrected come ups in inches, Mils, MOA per your setting. I’m pleased with them and would purchase them again.

I own a pair of the Zeiss Victory RF 10x42’s and love them. Glass is amazing, and the RF consistently gets out to 2300-2500 yds easily and quickly. I have ranged objects out to 2700 but it’s spotty. The mobile app is a good and what makes it better is you can upload your data to the Binos and then leave the phone at home. Internal ALT / Temp / Angle sensors in the RF will adjust your loaded dope based off your current reading and give you your corrected come ups in inches, Mils, MOA per your setting. I’m pleased with them and would purchase them again.

Interesting I did not know you could load it into the bino. That is a pretty cool feature!

Do you know if it will tie into a Kestrel as well or does it only use its internal sensors?

Interesting I did not know you could load it into the bino. That is a pretty cool feature!

Do you know if it will tie into a Kestrel as well or does it only use its internal sensors?

yeah it’s a cool set up for sure. I don’t believe it links with a kestrel. It has its own internal sensors

I have the Leica 3000 and love them. I knew they were gonna release a Bluetooth version but for the price they sold these at on Black Friday, they work for me.

I've heavily used the Leica 3ks and highly recommend them. I'm waiting on the new BT model and will be an early adopter after seeing them at SHOT.

Used a buddies Swarvo EL Range 8x42s.
Amazing glass and rangefinder worked very well out to 1000m on completely non reflective targets (green bush on a hill), didn't try any further range.

Used a buddies Swarvo EL Range 8x42s.
Amazing glass and rangefinder worked very well out to 1000m on completely non reflective targets (green bush on a hill), didn't try any further range.

i did some research awhile back when I was fixing to buy a Bino / RF Combo and was looking at the Swaro vs Zeiss vs Leica review and from what I gathered, the Swaro the EL RF doesn’t have the same glass / coatings as their EL Binos. It’s actually closer to the CL line.

maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was confirmed in a discussion here on the Hide awhile back.

That is good to know about the Swaros, I had not heard that.

The Zeiss setup with the ability to download your load is pretty slick. My two questions are is how accurate is the Zeiss app compared to something like Applied Ballistics and how good is the laser compared to the new Leicas and even compared to what is probably the gold standard in lasers is the Terrapin X.

Though I wont even consider a Terrapin due to them shafting every owner previously and that's not knocking the nice folks at EO that are now selling the stuff again in the US. Obviously the US consumer market is not important to Safran/Vectronix.

Reactions: HogsLife
That is good to know about the Swaros, I had not heard that.

The Zeiss setup with the ability to download your load is pretty slick. My two questions are is how accurate is the Zeiss app compared to something like Applied Ballistics and how good is the laser compared to the new Leicas and even compared to what is probably the gold standard in lasers is the Terrapin X.

Though I wont even consider a Terrapin due to them shafting every owner previously and that's not knocking the nice folks at EO that are now selling the stuff again in the US. Obviously the US consumer market is not important to Safran/Vectronix.

The zeiss RF holds it own IMO man. it ranges quickly and accurately to 2500+ reliably. I personally don’t need much more than that. For my use, it’s not worth splitting hairs.

Reactions: D_TROS
Correct, EL Range do not have the Swarovision and other coatings in the EL line.

Swarovski holds the specifics regarding their exact final coating processes on the range bins. They are very good - but more like the pre HD SLC glass.

The reason they (Swaro) gives is that the they get better laser functionality since the beam is processed through the glass as opposed to those like Leica with the laser module in the hinge.

They are very good - but more like the pre HD SLC glass.

Swaros pre HD SLC glass - SLC Neu - is still very, very good. I actually prefer them. All this to say, if the Swaro RF bins are similar to SLC Neu glass, that ain’t a bad view.

Reactions: Diver160651
Swaros pre HD SLC glass - SLC Neu - is still very, very good. I actually prefer them. All this to say, if the Swaro RF bins are similar to SLC Neu glass, that ain’t a bad view.
Totally agree - personally I like them. Most guys on Rokslide prefer them over the others, not that they are the ultimate authority but I do respect their opinions. I have the 12x50’s - HD 8x42 SLC’s and still find the IQ of the EL Range to be excellent. Really the chief complaint on the El Range is by archers as it will not range sub 20 yards.

If the Swaros glass is not top tier for that price it's off my list.

DetroitRearView nailed it but I was attempting to type and didn't notice his response.

They are top tier at this level you need a tripod any way to even hope to see any difference between. Even then you might spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what really you might be giving up compared to the other Swaros.

It is certainly not drastic like the Swaro spotters when you compare the ATA line to the ATX line.. In this case it takes about 2 minutes to decide if you want to pay almost 2x the price :) Love my ATX and the couple of Binos I have.. when on a tripod best money I have spent.. I have bought a lot of almost as good stuff over the years, wish I hadn't.

PS to add: I just sold my EL Range that I bought used for a the same price I paid.. to fund a bow sight with ranging, Garmin A1i + more arrows + 6GT barrel from @MarcS from Spartan Riles who has a sale on custom barrels Swaros- are easy to sell without taking a complete bath.

I wanted to add something to the thread that I think is worth considering. If you are super excited about getting new binos, range finding or not. You really should analyze, what is best for you.. Whats best for the guys in the East might not be best for the person in the Rockies or the guys shooting the matches out here that tend to be longer in range. etc.

Ranging integration is great but just food for thought:
1. How many hours a year are you looking thru your glass
2. How many minutes a year are you actually pressing the ranging button
3. How often are you Glassing (far) for animals
4. How often are you shooting matches
5. What % are you spotting targets and looking for wind and trace
6. If hunting how dense is the area
7. Are you primarily from the East* or out West -
8. How often can you use a tripod
9. How important is weight.

So with a list like this, would I choose 10x ranging integration over 12 or 15x SLCs? What if i was primarily glassing for animals out West, mainly shooting matches and wanted to see the wind and trace; especially if I was willing to carry my RRS?

If I am on a stock, hunting dense areas and need the FOV, or trying to be super light would I choose the 12s or 15s or the 8's?

MFGs are going to build the the ranging binos into the biggest bino market. That's certainly the 10x family. But you have to look at why. Is the 2,000 PRS shoots driving it? No, The majority users in the US are White tail hunters, primarily found in the Eastern part of our country where glassing is typically just not as far. If most of the hunters where in areas like Wyoming and Colorado you'd bet they'd be selling 15x ranging binos, but the numbers do not support it. The West has the lightest hunter densities – by far – by averaging only 1.2 hunters PSM and the Midwest averages the next lowest density at 6.1 hunters PSM. So of the 36 Million Tags, the majority in the East, what binos are you going to bring to the market. Obviously there are 12x+ Range finding binos, just not many options at all.

The best use and best binos for you, are based on the questions that only you can answer. For me it was Swaro 15x56 (completely replaced the spotter) for most match shooting as I can see wind, trace and impact locations guys on 10's can not. My 8's for bow and the ATX and 15s on open hunts. I decide to keep the ranging separate, as that part of the tech is changing about every 6 months. I sold off my Vectronixs stuff and replaced it with the tiny & feathery Leica 2800. The beam is small, much smaller than most binos and it allows me to use what ever glass I want for the task.. Hopefully just something to think about.

hunter_density__large.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking to upgrade from my Bushnell 1 mie ARC binos which for the price have been pretty decent for the past 5 years.

Been looking at the new Leica Geovid 3200 Com, Swarovski El Range, and the Zeiss Victory.

I'd prefer something with really good mobile app integration which I think Leica has fairly dialed but I saw the one review with the new 3500 Com rangefinder having poor bluetooth integration. Which honestly in today's tech industry should be easy to implement properly.

What else should I be looking at? They will be used for hunting and for some tactical comps when possible. Budget is $5k.

This a price on demo set.

I actually purchased mine for a great price from Euro Optics Demo site about a year ago. BNIB. Full warranty. Couldn’t be happier. They were flawless.

DetroitRearView nailed it but I was attempting to type and didn't notice his response.

They are top tier at this level you need a tripod any way to even hope to see any difference between. Even then you might spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what really you might be giving up compared to the other Swaros.

It is certainly not drastic like the Swaro spotters when you compare the ATA line to the ATX line.. In this case it takes about 2 minutes to decide if you want to pay almost 2x the price :) Love my ATX and the couple of Binos I have.. when on a tripod best money I have spent.. I have bought a lot of almost as good stuff over the years, wish I hadn't.

PS to add: I just sold my EL Range that I bought used for a the same price I paid.. to fund a bow sight with ranging, Garmin A1i + more arrows + 6GT barrel from @MarcS from Spartan Riles who has a sale on custom barrels Swaros- are easy to sell without taking a complete bath.

I wanted to add something to the thread that I think is worth considering. If you are super excited about getting new binos, range finding or not. You really should analyze, what is best for you.. Whats best for the guys in the East might not be best for the person in the Rockies or the guys shooting the matches out here that tend to be longer in range. etc.

Ranging integration is great but just food for thought:
1. How many hours a year are you looking thru your glass
2. How many minutes a year are you actually pressing the ranging button
3. How often are you Glassing (far) for animals
4. How often are you shooting matches
5. What % are you spotting targets and looking for wind and trace
6. If hunting how dense is the area
7. Are you primarily from the East* or out West -
8. How often can you use a tripod
9. How important is weight.

So with a list like this, would I choose 10x ranging integration over 12 or 15x SLCs? What if i was primarily glassing for animals out West, mainly shooting matches and wanted to see the wind and trace; especially if I was willing to carry my RRS?

If I am on a stock, hunting dense areas and need the FOV, or trying to be super light would I choose the 12s or 15s or the 8's?

MFGs are going to build the the ranging binos into the biggest bino market. That's certainly the 10x family. But you have to look at why. Is the 2,000 PRS shoots driving it? No, The majority users in the US are White tail hunters, primarily found in the Eastern part of our country where glassing is typically just not as far. If most of the hunters where in areas like Wyoming and Colorado you'd bet they'd be selling 15x ranging binos, but the numbers do not support it. The West has the lightest hunter densities – by far – by averaging only 1.2 hunters PSM and the Midwest averages the next lowest density at 6.1 hunters PSM. So of the 36 Million Tags, the majority in the East, what binos are you going to bring to the market. Obviously there are 12x+ Range finding binos, just not many options at all.

The best use and best binos for you, are based on the questions that only you can answer. For me it was Swaro 15x56 (completely replaced the spotter) for most match shooting as I can see wind, trace and impact locations guys on 10's can not. My 8's for bow and the ATX and 15s on open hunts. I decide to keep the ranging separate, as that part of the tech is changing about every 6 months. I sold off my Vectronixs stuff and replaced it with the tiny & feathery Leica 2800. The beam is small, much smaller than most binos and it allows me to use what ever glass I want for the task.. Hopefully just something to think about.

View attachment 7243834
Excellent analysis and right spot on in my experience. We carry very similar gear for similar reasoning. I always have a tripod...always. If not my RRS 24L, then it is my outdoorsmans LW setup. 8x42 SLC’s for archery and thick stuff, 12x50 EL’s SV for most of my Western hunting and my BTX85MM, depending on the distance. I can find elk in a meadow @ 15 miles or see an ear twitch @ 1000 yards. Indispensable gear where I hunt, but certainly not what I need in the thick timber, give me my wonderful 8’s and yes for now the 2800.com. I tripod all my bins and RF’s. Jaret Owens, originator of Alaska Guide Creations Bino Pack taught me how to glass and my location of game success, regardless of species increased 50% easily. If I can only take one bino it is the 12x50 El’s and the outdoorsmans tripod. Very comprehensive post Diver.

Thanks everyone for the great info! This really helped me out a lot.

I think I’m going to wait till the new Leicas are on the street to see their impressions after they get into more people’s hands.

One thing for all these products, do they release any firmware or software updates for these?

simple get
The Sig Kilo3000BDX.
I own them all, and when I say all I mean all. Ziess. Lieca, Swarovski, Vortex etc don’t hold a candle. NONE of them can consistently go beyond 1250-1300. I’ve use in every condition. Negative 10 to 120. Sig is the only one that could range a target beyond 1k,2k,3k and 4K every damn time. I’ll put them up against any glass except for military grade Which cost 10-20k. Anyone who says others is full of it

Reactions: D_TROS
I know the laser on the Sig is really good. Just the glass is meh from what I saw it’s similar to my bushnell 1 mile.

I think the glass is actually pretty good on my Sig 3000. No it's not the best but I switch back and forth from a swaro & I don't find myself wishing for more on the sig. & the laser is top notch!!

i did some research awhile back when I was fixing to buy a Bino / RF Combo and was looking at the Swaro vs Zeiss vs Leica review and from what I gathered, the Swaro the EL RF doesn’t have the same glass / coatings as their EL Binos. It’s actually closer to the CL line.

maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was confirmed in a discussion here on the Hide awhile back.
You are correct. I confirmed this with Swarovski
Hope to have my new Leica in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:

This should remove the SIG from your list. The lack of locking diopters is a major no-no for hunting.

I wouldn’t pay $500 for the Sig given the well well documented flaws as stated above and other places.

I really want to range my Bull where he is standing, not the boulder 20 yards behind him.

Additionally, I think I am better off with a separate RF for the reasons well stated by Diver.

Waiting to see more real word results with leica 3500.com. My 2800.com works great, so if the 3500 turns it up a notch I will be giving someone a deal on my 2800.com

simple get
The Sig Kilo3000BDX.
I own them all, and when I say all I mean all. Ziess. Lieca, Swarovski, Vortex etc don’t hold a candle. NONE of them can consistently go beyond 1250-1300. I’ve use in every condition. Negative 10 to 120. Sig is the only one that could range a target beyond 1k,2k,3k and 4K every damn time. I’ll put them up against any glass except for military grade Which cost 10-20k. Anyone who says others is full of it

How big is your beam and ability to shot through tight loops?

We captured the beam with NV and they use a software gate used instead of a tight beam from a more expensive prism. Cutting to the chase, I do not care how long the read is if your not 100% sure of what the return is from.. I can easily create conditions where you would wish you had a honest small beam divergence.

I promise to have at least 2 targets again this year that will very much challenge the Kilo3000, while something the 2800 or a vertronix will shine.
UKD-Logo (3).png

BTW I am not "full of it".

Enjoy your binos~

Last edited:

We captured the beam with NV and they use a software gate used instead of a tight beam from a more expensive prism. Cutting to the chase, I do not care how long the read is if your not 100% sure of what the return is from.. I can easily create conditions where you would wish you had a honest small beam divergence.

I promise to have at least 2 targets again this year that will very much challenge the Kilo3000, while something the the 2800 or a vertronix will shine.
View attachment 7245694

Enjoy your binos~

Lol, I knew that was coming. i started to tear his post apart until I saw that he’s been a member since 2013 and has a grand total of 7 posts.......?

Let's get real, @Diver160651 is full of it ?.

But not on this topic, here is the video he references above:

Podcast on the topic by the folks who design them.
I love Precision Rifle Media | PRM 138 - New Electro Optics w Nick Vitalbo, let's play it!

I am not sure I can spend my money on another leica if they don't fix the control fw. I would love the laser performance of the leica in s bino for field matches where the fov is an advantage over the mono.

Is the Leica 3500.com a bino or mono, I see the 3000.com bino?

what are they getting for the bino with LRF?

I promise to have at least 2 targets again this year that will very much challenge the Kilo3000, while something the 2800 or a vertronix will shine.
View attachment 7245694

Enjoy your binos~

Diver, I’m signed up for the ukd team challenge and whatever I get I’ll be using at this match.

On another note I’m kind of leaning towards picking up the Leica 3500.com and then maybe the top tier swaro binos without a rf.

Then going with the kestrel 5700 and hud for quick solutions.

Diver, I’m signed up for the ukd team challenge and whatever I get I’ll be using at this match.

On another note I’m kind of leaning towards picking up the Leica 3500.com and then maybe the top tier swaro binos without a rf.

Solid idea. Curious why not the 3200.com in an effort to carry less gear?

Hey bud at that price point, I'd really be comparing the zeiss and the Leica. Really if you are gonna max out your distance and really want a quick response time, both of those are going to be interesting to see. I honestly prefer the zeiss because I like the app a lot more for ease of use, but the glass optically feels better to me when viewing at distance. Then there also if that 10x54 model if you really want a low light monster. haha just gotta deal with some extra weight. That being said as a dealer, I can't wait to get a real side-by-side comparison between these 2. Gonna set them up and report back for sure.

Hey bud at that price point, I'd really be comparing the zeiss and the Leica. Really if you are gonna max out your distance and really want a quick response time, both of those are going to be interesting to see. I honestly prefer the zeiss because I like the app a lot more for ease of use, but the glass optically feels better to me when viewing at distance. Then there also if that 10x54 model if you really want a low light monster. haha just gotta deal with some extra weight. That being said as a dealer, I can't wait to get a real side-by-side comparison between these 2. Gonna set them up and report back for sure.
Zeiss glass will be good no doubt. I could be wrong but I don’t believe Zeiss will work with a Kestrel where the Leica will.

Zeiss glass will be good no doubt. I could be wrong but I don’t believe Zeiss will work with a Kestrel where the Leica will.

You are correct. It will not work with a kestrel, but, it has the sensors (angle, alt. Temp) built into the Binos. You can upload your dopes onto the binocular via the Zeiss hunting / ballistics app, then leave both the kestrel and your phone at the house. Range your target and it will give you your corrected dopes. It’s pretty slick.

I personally like that feature due to the fact I don’t have extra gear to carry when I’m out hunting. No phone, ballistics app, or kestrel. Of course, you want to have your hard data just in case but a push of the button gives you what you need to put rounds on target

Add the fact that your gonna be hard up to beat Zeiss Glass quality.

Last edited:
You are correct. It will not work with a kestrel, but, it has the sensors (angle, alt. Temp) built into the Binos. You can upload your dopes onto the binocular via the Zeiss hunting / ballistics app, then leave both the kestrel and your phone at the house. Range your target and it will give you your corrected dopes. It’s pretty slick.

I personally like that feature due to the fact I don’t have extra gear to carry when I’m out hunting. No phone, ballistics app, or kestrel. Of course, you want to have your hard data just in case but a push of the button gives you what you need to put rounds on target

Add the fact that your gonna be hard up to beat Zeiss Glass quality.
Hi @HogsLife so on the Zeiss, does it create a custom curve based on your real dope? and then give results? How many data points do you enter, and have you validated out to distance?

does it adjust for DA?

Hi @HogsLife so on the Zeiss, does it create a custom curve based on your real dope? and then give results? How many data points do you enter, and have you validated out to distance?

does it adjust for DA?

yes it does. The Zeiss will store up to 9 Ballistic Profiles. Once your profile is uploaded from the Zeiss Hunting app on your phone / tablet, you can take the RF out to where ever you’re going to hunt. The onboard ballistic software combined with onboard sensors (distance, angle, Pressure, Alt, temp) will then create the custom curve based on your current atmospheric data and give you a corrected dope. when you hit the range button, it will then give you 3 reading which you can set up with the app. For example, mine is set up to give me Range, Corrected Range, and my Dope in Mils.

it does not use DA. Here is the input page for Ammo / Atmospherics.

8E85816B-EFDA-4C08-93C8-9A1D70938DFB.png

F28F995A-E924-4C69-8EF8-B7F8181A9E4C.jpeg

8C5E3E1A-3A18-48DE-BC65-69DD0A139EDE.png

ive validates it at my home range out to 900 or so and it’s right on. It’s probably not nearly as in depth as some of the other Ballistics programs out there but as far as I can tell it works and I’m happy with it.

the Zeiss Hunting App is free, and worth downloading so you can mess around with it a bit.

Here’s a YouTube video link that goes a bit more in depth on some of the specs. Yeah, it’s gimmicky and obviously they’re trying to sell something, but it’s a good run down of some of the features.

Last edited:
OK, cool, so you choose the bullet and set up the profile in the app and send it to the device, picking ball park MV and BC and true as you would on any real dope. Adjust the MV and BC to get your real dope to line up. I noticed for Hornady ELDM 140g it only has G1 BC but as the other thread highlights both can be trued.

If the beam divergence is confirmed to their specs (has anyone confirmed with NV?), then this would be my leader in the clubhouse.

My Leica 2800.com(and the 3200) require connection to the Kestrel real time to work, and in our match we instead turned this off and used the LRF and wrist coach data to avoid bluetooth issues.

This would allow bino with better FOV, similar beam divergence, and integrated and trued ballistics equivalent to Dope card on your wrist. Both will adjust with environment, etc.

Have you seen any issues with the temperature getting acclimated to the environment? (Kestrel spinning, etc)

I have to agree having the solver and sensors in the RF makes sense as I don’t want to depend on Bluetooth in the field. One of the reasons I haven’t upgraded from the 2400AB.

I like Bluetooth for uploading the profile but that’s about it.

I also think Zeiss is leading the RF binos because of this, but being a swaro fan boy I’m patiently waiting to see what they might release. Or not...

I have to agree having the solver and sensors in the RF makes sense as I don’t want to depend on Bluetooth in the field. One of the reasons I haven’t upgraded from the 2400AB.

I like Bluetooth for uploading the profile but that’s about it.

I also think Zeiss is leading the RF binos because of this, but being a swaro fan boy I’m patiently waiting to see what they might release. Or not...

Maybe I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that the new dot com binoculars from Leica are in direct competition with the Zeiss RF bins.

No more micro SD
BT connect to app
Range solution in the glass

I love what Zeiss did, but I haven’t spent the money there bc I don’t like the range button placement. Seems like an afterthought and, IMO, is a bit of a funky ergo choice.

They are. My point is if the BT connection is giving you problems or timing out then you lose out on the solution being pinged back to the HUD. Solver on-board eliminates this problem.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that the new dot com binoculars from Leica are in direct competition with the Zeiss RF bins.

No more micro SD
BT connect to app
Range solution in the glass

I love what Zeiss did, but I haven’t spent the money there bc I don’t like the range button placement. Seems like an afterthought and, IMO, is a bit of a funky ergo choice.

I agree with the weird button placement. I wish it was about an inch closer to the ocular lens. I Love the Zeiss, and although the button placement is in a somewhat strange position, for myself, it’s not enough to discount all the other stellar features.

They are. My point is if the BT connection is giving you problems or timing out then you lose out on the solution being pinged back to the HUD. Solver on-board eliminates this problem.
Leica has the solver on board too but the ui is painfull and hard to manage. Haven't heard from anyone using it at distance.